Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Camry 104k miles

(Only) Timing Belt done at 62k.

When I start the car on a cold engine I hear a grinding type noise that comes from the passenger side. It goes away once the car is warmed up however. After that the car is quiet as a mouse.

My guess is waterpump, or idler pulley? Maybe?

Why would it make this noise only on a cold engine though?

If the waterpump bearing is going south doesn't it grind non-stop regardless of engine temp?

Anyway, fill me in and tell me what you think.

Thanks

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Waterpumps leak, they don't grind. So your safe there. You safe it is continuous until the car is warm? Or just when you turn it over?

It maye be your starter. It may not disengage fully. That may be the cause of your grinding noise. I would need more detail, or to hear it inorder to really tell you more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Waterpumps leak, they don't grind. So your safe there. You safe it is continuous until the car is warm? Or just when you turn it over?

It maye be your starter. It may not disengage fully. That may be the cause of your grinding noise. I would need more detail, or to hear it inorder to really tell you more.
Yea, once the car is warmed up it goes away. I thought bearings could go bad in h20 pumps and cause grinding?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Do you have any way you could record the sound? It's really hard to tell without hearing it. Or could you describe it more?

If it was the water pump, it would continue even after warm. The pump is belt driven, so it is always turning. So it won't be that.

It may be your oil pump. It could be banged up. And once the engine warms up, it become properly lubed.

But without hearing it, I really can't make a better guess at it. I can't think of anything that would make that noise only on warm up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I wish I could record it. I don't have anything for that.

Maybe an idler pulley?

When the idle is high is when it is worst, once it warms up it's all gone. I hate the sound, but the car drives perfect otherwise.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Try this: Let your car warm up to the point where the noise stops. Put the E-brake on and pop the car into "Neutral" Give the car some gas, get it up around 4,500RPM or 5,000RPM (don't leave it there for more than a few seconds). See if it makes the noise then.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Waterpumps leak, they don't grind.
On a Honda, I had mine start grinding getting louder fast and in minutes, it changed to a squeal. Then it got real quiet and temperature started climbing real fast. Pump seized and belt got eaten.
I happened to be on the way to a Honda dealer so lucked out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did it today and not unusual noise. Engine sounded tight at 4500 rpms.

What were you thinking about?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
SmokingTires said:

I know this is a thread revival... its old as hell... but I was reading it, and I had to ask you a question, Mike. Mine sounds like it grinds a little at cold start only right after turning over for maybe a second. You think it might be my starter not disengaging right away? And how do I fix that? :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know that you are describing it as a grinding sound. But the more common source of sound from the area that you are describing is the timing belt hitting the plastic belt cover. Need to go back in and loosen, then push the idler pulley to tighten the belt as much as possible, then tighten the pulley again.Could this be the sound that you are describing?

Or is the grinding sound that you are saying is more metallic sounding?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
Well... the thing is, the 2AZ-FE engines in the Camry's all have timing chains, not belts. And yeah, it sounds slightly metallic to me... it sounds like metal-on-metal grinding.. and it only lasts for about a second. It actually sounds like that sound the engine makes when the engine is on, and you hit the starter again, causing the engine to stall. That sound... lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: We changed the belt and water pump and it was certainly the waterpump making that sound. Nice and quiet now, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Camshaft gears

I know this is a old thread. but maybe it will help others. This "grinding" noise on cold start up for only a second is common. You can find videos online to hear it. Look for (grinding noise on cold start up venza) (similar engine as the corolla...) . My wifes venza was doing it. The problem is the camshaft gears. They have multiple chains running on them, which causes wear, which causes a little slippage until it catches. the metal warms expands and holds until it cools after its sat for awhile. The part runs about $300. a shop can replace in about 4 hours. at home it might take quiet a bit longer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts