Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wat do they do? and how does it work?
wat are the difference between the two?
and wat are the good/bad about having them?
i totally dunno anything about them.
thanks thanks...

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Ground wires do just that, ground the electrical system to the neg terminal...as far as aftermarket "circle earth" stuff, not much to new cars, though older weather exposed vehicles can see some benefits to it...but no more than just replacing the ground wires with new ones. Improved grounds should only really be needed if you significantly upped the draw on the systems, such as big stereo, all sorts of extra lighting, an on board espresso maker etc.

Voltage stabilizers are caps...quick acting release of energy to make up for sudden dips, such as big stereo's give with bass hits. Their effectiveness is debatable, some saying they make all the difference, others saying they do next to nothing.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
There was one guy who did a full test on audio cap with a scrope monitoring voltage drop with and without a cap. Result is bad. The cap did smooth out the curve a bit but never was able to do anything useful when bass hit.
A cap will remove high freq noise in electrical system. They'll never remove low freq noise produce by bass. Reason is the bass took so much current the cap can't hold that much.
A voltage stabilizer or regulater is an active component which will step up voltage when supply voltage drops. Sounds good. Problem is battery voltage drop due to bass hit with high current draw and system can't supply such high current. In order to step up voltage, the regulater need to draw more current from the system, Power = Current x Voltage, to keep Power constant with lower voltage current gotta increase. Now our voltage problem was because of not enough current and we're trying to draw more current to fix it :confused: Don't think that'll work.
A voltage regulator works great only when system voltage is greater then needed. Say 24V source for 12V component. A regulater will be happy supplying 12V all the time. On a 12V-12V system, the regulater need to draw more current to keep output constant.

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
bgrieger said:
an on board espresso maker etc.
Like that on the featured Pimp My Ride...pretty sweet, with chandelliar (sp?) in replacement of dome light.

Voltage stabilizers are caps...quick acting release of energy to make up for sudden dips, such as big stereo's give with bass hits. Their effectiveness is debatable, some saying they make all the difference, others saying they do next to nothing.
My friend has a cougar with a nice sound system. His headlights, instrument panel, and interior lights flashed everytime the bass hit. I told him he needed a capacitor, and all that went away, and it made the music a little bit more clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts