Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I will be doing some work on a friends GS 300(1995). Her exhaust just behind the "Y" pipe is leaking, and spark plug under the intake(#5??) needs to be replaced along with the wire. I know that the intake has to be removed. Anything else I should know for all the above mentioned? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
While your changing her plugs and wire, you should also clean the throttle body.

That's all I can think of for right now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good tip! Will I have to replace the gasket if there is one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
there is a gasket inbetween the throttle body and intake manifold... you shouldn't have to replace it because it's a thin strip of aluminum. i did my tune up and didn't have to replace it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thnx!! TWINTURBO619. Always good to have all the info I can get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey what's going on again, have you ever done a tune up on this engine? Well let me tell you, if you haven't, you're in for atleast 3 hours of work. The whole top part has to be broken down just for two spark plugs. It's a lot of work. So when I did mine, i went to toyota for that gasket just incase i had to replace it, but that's how i found out is was a thin strip of aluminum... except when you purchase it at the dealership, it has the original coating... but don't worry, yours should be fine unless it's cracked or something. So I just wanted to give you a heads up, and oh yeah, as another member mentioned, clean out your throttle body while you're in there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TWINTURBO619 said:
Hey what's going on again, have you ever done a tune up on this engine? Well let me tell you, if you haven't, you're in for atleast 3 hours of work. The whole top part has to be broken down just for two spark plugs. It's a lot of work. So when I did mine, i went to toyota for that gasket just incase i had to replace it, but that's how i found out is was a thin strip of aluminum... except when you purchase it at the dealership, it has the original coating... but don't worry, yours should be fine unless it's cracked or something. So I just wanted to give you a heads up, and oh yeah, as another member mentioned, clean out your throttle body while you're in there.

Thanks for your concern. I have been working on cars for a while ie: suspension, brakes, electrical, mobile electronics,etc. I also work in the aviation industry overhauling Jet engines. It is always good to give advice, thanks. That means that I have to get to it real early in the morning. I cleaned the T/b on my 92 cam last year and it helped alot. Thanks again. When she gets all the parts i'll get to work and let give final results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: 1999 ES's Rim

kenxle said:
Anybody have a 1999 ES ''s rim for sale. I need one. I live in MA
sounds good, good luck on your tune... i would rather do it myself instead of pay like 400+ at the dealership.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update! Did the tune up. wasn't that bad of a job. every thing came off good. The only thing that concerned me was the # 4 spark plug . It was soaked with oil which means either the valve cover gasket or bad cylinder. Anyways, put everything back together and it ran smooth @ first. Now it stumbles and misfires. I have the firing order: from the front 1-2-3-4-5-6, correct. All this happened after the tune-up and T/B cleaning. any suggestions out there? All the wires and plugs are secure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Re: 1999 ES's Rim

TWINTURBO619 said:
sounds good, good luck on your tune... i would rather do it myself instead of pay like 400+ at the dealership.
i found the same thing... what the problem was, was that the valve cover was loose so i tightened it up. i just cleaned off the spark plug and wiped off the oil inside the spark plug chamber. trust me, it was drenched, but after cleaning it off, everything was fine. try that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try that. It sucks because I'll have to take the T/B back off again. But oh well! It was really hard driving home from wrok tonight. it took a while to get up to speed. Then all of a sudden it will pick up fine then back to the misfire. I hope this cleaning job works. Thanks. Will update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 1999 ES's Rim

TWINTURBO619 said:
i found the same thing... what the problem was, was that the valve cover was loose so i tightened it up. i just cleaned off the spark plug and wiped off the oil inside the spark plug chamber. trust me, it was drenched, but after cleaning it off, everything was fine. try that.
Sorry to hear that the car was being rough with you. before you clean up the oil, you might want to steam clean it first, to make sure the area is clean as well as for your engine... i like keeping mine clean. probably do it once a month. but anways, do that, then take a cruise on the freeway to dry it off and then work on it. you'll see if your valve cover is leaking form the rear and seeping into your spark plug chambers and what not. yeah, def gotta clean out all that oil build up in there... just get a long screw driver or something, with a very thin rag and stick it inside the chamber for the #4 sparkplug. clean it out like you were churning butter lol. after that, wipe away any other oil around the spark plug area and then you're set. let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finished this morning! Yesterday driving this car to work was a nightmare. Taking off the car had no power. People were blowing their horn, cursing, etc. Once it builds up speed, keep it rolling to stay to stay rolling was the rule. Once on the highway, kept the o/d off to rev high allowing more fuel to be used(fuel system cleaner also added). As I got closer to work, it got better. So I guess it was the cleaning of the T/B that loosened a lot of grime? Anyway after numerous removals of that t/b and trying different combos of plugs and wires trying to figure out why this was happening. But it is all cleared up now. New plugs, wires, cap & rotor, And air filter. There is a check engine light and traction off light are on and will alternate on and off. I guess a o2 sensor for the CEL but don't know what about the traction off light. That function is on. I posted this ? in this forum. I also checked clublexus.com and they said maybe a loose air hose or vacuum hose for the traction off light. Any suggestions out there? I removed the - cable on the Batery and also removed the efi fuse for a minute but they still on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts