Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fist of the North Star
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to drive a 2000 GS400 the other week.
Usually I don't care for auto cars at all but the overall package that the GS offers impressed me. Nice quiet smooth luxo crusier I could get comfortable in.
Now I find myself wanting to but one.
What are the common issues I should be aware of?
I was reading on some fourms that the ball joints are a poor design that when they let go the car can drop to the ground. Have you guys any experience with this or any other issues?
What are your general long tern ownership impressions?

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Komodo said:
Got to drive a 2000 GS400 the other week.
Usually I don't care for auto cars at all but the overall package that the GS offers impressed me. Nice quiet smooth luxo crusier I could get comfortable in.
Now I find myself wanting to but one.
What are the common issues I should be aware of?
I was reading on some fourms that the ball joints are a poor design that when they let go the car can drop to the ground. Have you guys any experience with this or any other issues?
What are your general long tern ownership impressions?

Thanks

I had 98 GS400 and sold it at 150,000kms. Yes u are right about the weak ball joints in these cars but not as bad as it sounds though. Honestly I never had any issues at all except the battery draining fast if u dont drive the car often. Also some people complain about steering wheel shaking at 60-70mph......also door actuators dying prematurely. I also had the steering wheel shake and I fixed it by putting Daizen control arm bushings. (but there are other ways of fixing it as well) Go to www.clublexus.com You'll meet many diehard GS owners there for more info.

Other then steering wheel shake, and battery draining , I never had any issues at all. As long as u do proper oil change, tranny fluid, diff fluid change. u should be oK. God I miss my GS400.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts