Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
straight cash homie
19,607 Posts
If they visited the area near the Toyota HQ in Plano Texas (north of Dallas), and looked at housing, they would have seen that can get 3-4 times more for their money in Plano, and I don't think it deterred many of them from transferring (unless they had spouses who had jobs in California that could not be found in Plano).
For younger employees, especially the ones that were paying as much for renting as some of you do for your mortgages, I think those were the ones that had bigger incentive to go. Some of the older employees did move, but some did not (I know one, my uncle who kept working in California until it was time to retire). Obviously, leaving family roots behind was a determining factor, and IMO, the company left a lot of its Japanese roots here, but from what I read, many of the Asian businesses opened in the Plano area.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
For younger employees, especially the ones that were paying as much for renting as some of you do for your mortgages, I think those were the ones that had bigger incentive to go. Some of the older employees did move, but some did not (I know one, my uncle who kept working in California until it was time to retire). Obviously, leaving family roots behind was a determining factor, and IMO, the company left a lot of its Japanese roots here, but from what I read, many of the Asian businesses opened in the Plano area.
There are a lot more Asians in Texas than people realize, although I don't know about those of Japanese decent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Warning: my opinion.

1. Hyundai sucks and you completely need that warranty....best to add on the 10 year B-B to match the PT.
2. Hyundai Genesis Sucks (had one for 6 years, total POS. 2015 model with 32k miles when I got rid of it.)
3. GV80 based on the same electrics and sourced parts as my Genesis....no thanks. And no 5.0 V8....seriously?
4. KIA....also sucks. Same parts
5. Telli and Palli....same parts....same electrics....same switches as the Genesis....POS

I had 34 pages of warranty work on my car and nearly 6 months in the shop. Was it a lemon...probably....did I wait to long to claim it as such...yup my bad. And yes the dealer is still a Hyundai dealer and the service dept is crap for what you pay for vs MB or BMW, etc. Half the clips are missing on that car from oil changes....to bumpers...to trim pieces due to the service dept. You get a crap Elantra or Tucson for a loaner (yes its nice to get a loaner and not all dealers do it....but its not an even swap).

I will NEVER buy another manufacturer beyond Toyota/Lexus. Period.

The service dept at Toyota has ALWAYS been 10x better then my experience with Hyundai.

My Tundra...excellent. Nothing but oil changes.

This Highlander....my money is on Toyota that it is built WAY better then that POS Genesis I had....or ANY KIA or Hyundai out today. The Koreans cannot touch Japanese cars. IDGAS what KIA or Hyundai put in their cars for tech or features or this or that.....NO THANKS! Toyota or nothing. Here's to my wife just enjoying driving and not complaining about problems. Happy wife, happy life.

·
straight cash homie
19,607 Posts

1. Hyundai sucks and you completely need that warranty....best to add on the 10 year B-B to match the PT.
2. Hyundai Genesis Sucks (had one for 6 years, total POS. 2015 model with 32k miles when I got rid of it.)
3. GV80 based on the same electrics and sourced parts as my Genesis....no thanks. And no 5.0 V8....seriously?
5. Telli and Palli....same parts....same electrics....same switches as the Genesis....POS

I had 34 pages of warranty work on my car and nearly 6 months in the shop. Was it a lemon...probably....did I wait to long to claim it as such...yup my bad. And yes the dealer is still a Hyundai dealer and the service dept is crap for what you pay for vs MB or BMW, etc. Half the clips are missing on that car from oil changes....to bumpers...to trim pieces due to the service dept. You get a crap Elantra or Tucson for a loaner (yes its nice to get a loaner and not all dealers do it....but its not an even swap).

I will NEVER buy another manufacturer beyond Toyota/Lexus. Period.

The service dept at Toyota has ALWAYS been 10x better then my experience with Hyundai.

My Tundra...excellent. Nothing but oil changes.

This Highlander....my money is on Toyota that it is built WAY better then that POS Genesis I had....or ANY KIA or Hyundai out today. The Koreans cannot touch Japanese cars. IDGAS what KIA or Hyundai put in their cars for tech or features or this or that.....NO THANKS! Toyota or nothing. Here's to my wife just enjoying driving and not complaining about problems. Happy wife, happy life.
Sucks you had a bad experience...a Hyundai is on my list of cars to consider after my Corolla

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah, if I was thinking of a second option the GV80 would be high on the list (if not for the extra money), as it is a real looker IMO

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wont be wasting my time watching that. They suck...end of story for me.

But, I do hope you find what best suites you and your family and are happy at the end of the day. I wish you luck. :)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts

and not complaining about problems. Happy wife, happy life.
Your 2015 was the first year of a major redesign of the Genesis. But even so, I don't think your experience was anywhere close to being normal, even for owners of the 2015 Genesis sedan. I say that having been on a Genesis forum for 10 years.

Based on statistical data, both Hyundai and Genesis (separate brands now, but both owned by Hyundai) are now rated fairly high in regards to reliability, according to both Consumer Reports and JD Power.

·
straight cash homie
19,607 Posts
I wont be wasting my time watching that. They suck...end of story for me.

But, I do hope you find what best suites you and your family and are happy at the end of the day. I wish you luck. :)
I wouldn't blame you for wanting to not ever buy another of their products after what you went through. It happens to a lot of people and other brands too, even Toyota, though probably not as often as others. I've only driven Toyotas, but my family has driven other brands besides Toyota, some OK, some not as good as Toyota.

The reason why this is here is because it affects the luxury and SUV market, not past ownership experiences.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts