Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No, but I do have the "normal" fuel injector tick at idle

Votes: 13 59.1%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some threads about it but I don't think anyone has nailed down the problem!!

I am extremely aggravated and would pay well for a solution if there was one identified. I already tried isolating the pump valve on the left (driver) side of the intake manifold.

Why is it that almost all who complain say it's on the left (driver) side !! It is my understanding that not all Tacoma's have the valve train or exhaust tick under the hood starting around 1800 rpm.

I test drove 3 Tacoma's double cab, 4x4, and access cab and NONE of them had the tick. Guys, it's driving me crazy. 2011 truck and it sounds like a old truck with an exhaust leak on the header. It also has a tick at idle and slightly above idle. It did it from day one (which was three weeks ago). I never should have listened to the salesman saying let it break in for 1k miles. Well now I have 800 miles and it has not changed one bit. Maybe louder. Service department says it's NORMAL... NOT!!!

There has to be some tech out there that REALLY knows what the problem is

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks and kind regards,
Clark

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Try some mobil 1 at your next oil change...... that quieted mine down. Unfortunately, most of our trucks do it. Welcome to TN

·
Can hold his own
2009 Tacoma AC
135 Posts
That is completely normal for the V6. Plenty of other V6's do it for other manufacturers ours is just louder. Put Mobil 1 for your next oil change and it will quiet down, but it is something you will have to live with.

·
Registered
381 Posts
the only time i notice mine is when i'm sitting at a drive thru idling. i guess its reflecting off the wall. it also seems worse when i'm running the air and the compressor is running. but like the other guys have said, its something our trucks do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only time i notice mine is when i'm sitting at a drive thru idling. i guess its reflecting off the wall. it also seems worse when i'm running the air and the compressor is running. but like the other guys have said, its something our trucks do.

I can deal with the tick at idle, it is the tick and exhaust leak sound around 2k rpm that's driving me nuts. I can even hear it at hwy speeds over the wind and road noise. Is that normal too ?
It's mostly noticable when there is light acceleration.

·
Can hold his own
2009 Tacoma AC
135 Posts
Not sure on the exhaust leak sound. I get that noise as well but I think some engines just make that noise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
not normal, mine doesnt do it, but the truck I test drove did, like you said its very loud and only when your on the gas, sounds like an exhaust leak, take it back, chances are the other tacomas on the lot dont do it....mine has the tick but its not the exhaust leak sounding tick that you can hear above the radio, I only hear mine if its idling and i have the window down or am outside of the truck.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
not normal, mine doesnt do it, but the truck I test drove did, like you said its very loud and only when your on the gas, sounds like an exhaust leak, take it back, chances are the other tacomas on the lot dont do it....mine has the tick but its not the exhaust leak sounding tick that you can hear above the radio, I only hear mine if its idling and i have the window down or am outside of the truck.....

That's my point exactly!! The three I test drove did not do it either. I want one that doesn't tick. Anyone eles have a Tacoma that does not tick at hwy speed? My sister has a 2007 with no tick. Plus I drove a used one before deciding to spend the extra cash on a new 2011. That makes 6 including mine (1 of 6 with tick???)
Maybe I need to start a poll?

·
Registered
441 Posts
my tech listened to the infamous tick with me, we both agreed it sounded like a checkvalve opening and closing..outside the engine..very disappointing to hear these noises on a new engine..
reality is nothings perfect..not even a ferarri..have to live w this crap..no effect on performance

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You might want to look into a hood liner. That might dampen the ticking sound you hear. I only hear mine when I'm at a drive thru.

·
Georgia
1,181 Posts
What weight oil are you running? 5w-20 will make it louder. 5w-30 will dampen some of the sound.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
After reading this thread I made a point of listening for noises around 2000 RPM. Sure enough, if I'm accelerating around that point, I hear a rhythmic sound but I wouldn't describe it as a ticking noise. The ticking is the noise that's very obvious at idle, especially from outside the car or with the window open, that all Toyota V6's (cars and trucks) make. What I hear under acceleration might be air flow related to exhaust pressures, but I'm really not sure. The truck has made that noise from day one, so it's not new and I don't think it's a problem. My 2000 Tacoma made even more noise under acceleration, so I actually considered the 2009's noise to be an improvement.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,699 Posts
There is TSB on this and I had in done on my '06 Tacoma. I was convinced that I had a torque converter coming apart, it was noticible if you revved the engine even in nuetral.

Before you say bahhhh, that's not it, I told the dealer NO WAY was he correct, and I was wrong! There is a TSB on a cracked manifold, I never found it and I never saw it, but they replaced my exhaust manifolds and no more noise!!

Hope this helps!

I'll give you my PayPal account to send $$$$ :lol:

·
Registered
441 Posts
a problem

overall , this engine did not meet my expectations when i bought it..after paying big bux, i expected a quiet engine which this is not..ticking and internal noise when cold..i thought i was buying a toyota..oh i get it..you can almost hear them say...its only a truck...just like insulating the cabin..freakin insulation is cheap..so are they

1 - 15 of 15 Posts