Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been on an LED streak lately. As luck would have it, I found out about a Philips offering that has recently hit the market – Philips X-treme Ultinon LED bulbs, sold by a site vendor, XenonDepot. So let’s dig in!

Background: These LED bulbs are rated 6000k, and they have 1200 lumens each. They come with a 3 year warranty, and a 12 year lifespan. The lifespan is so long because these bulbs have NO moving parts: no fan to cool them, nothing. They were designed to adequately dissipate heat without relying on temperamental fans that have a shorter lifespan than the LEDs themselves. As we know, when the fan dies, the LEDs get too hot and die.

Due to their lower current draw, they will be a replacement for H8, H11, and H16 bulbs. So even if you don’t have a Camry, but you do have a vehicle with one of the other two sizes, this review still applies to you! Toyota and Lexus have recently started a trend of putting in H8/H16 fog light bulbs in some of their vehicles. Though they share the same base as H11 bulbs, their wattage rating is way down. For example, the OEM Sylvania H16 bulb on our 2013 RAV4 is rated at 19watts! That solves the mystery why the fog lights are absolutely useless and dim. The problem with these two bulb sizes is Toyota/Lexus builds the circuit to only deal with this level of draw, rendering moving up in bulb wattage useless since the circuit will overload and pop a fuse. Most LED bulbs are just for looks with no function, so putting in an LED bulb in the fog lights doesn’t actually help the performance of those H8 and H16 fog lights. Enter the Philips X-treme Ultinon LED bulbs. These bulbs were engineered to simulate the beam pattern of a halogen bulb, thus reducing glare that is thrown into fellow motorists eyes. So lets take a look!

Packaging: The packaging is definitely what you would expect for bulbs at this price point. All pertinent information is on there, along with a lot of Japanese or Chinese writing. I think that part is pretty cool, honestly. The best part of the packaging is the little accents of rainbow color shifting chrome type stuff. Just classes up cardboard, which the consumer should expect, not only because of the price, but because of who makes it: Philips. Pictures!

Size specs readily available:

Nice and organized under the cardboard outer layer. See the rainbox chrome painted cardboard?

What is all included in the box:

Initial impressions: Quality. Everywhere I look, I see quality. There are almost no exposed wires on these entire bulbs. Wire loom and shrink wrap protects the majority of all the wires. I see maybe 3/16” of exposed wire, and that is right where the wire splits and enters the bulb. Another area of quality is the bulb itself. It is made out of lightweight metal, including the tabs that twist into your headlight. Ever notice how your stock bulbs have metal tabs, but a lot of HID bulbs have plastic? I never knew companies made bulbs with metal bases that weren’t halogens, so I was pleasantly surprised to see metal tabs. Nothing is necessarily wrong with plastic tabs (my HID bulbs have plastic - no complaints), but metal > plastic, in my opinion. Another thing I was happy to see was the plug only has one bump in the plastic, rather than having one on each side. This makes it easy to plug in and out of the car’s plug. With only one bump, the bulb only plugs into your car’s plug one way, thus taking away the routine of plugging in, testing, flipping, testing, then proceed. It’s the small stuff, but it makes a difference!

Another impression was just how cool this bulb looks. A total of 6 small LEDs, 3 on each side, with a shiny silver “stalk” (wrong word there, but I’m not sure what it’s called) and a blue band at the top. Looks pretty cool.

Philips did a good job of driving home the fact that these were designed to be functional LED bulbs - but they also make it clear where they intended these LED bulbs to be used:

Now, time to put them in!

How they look: To preface: as always, I will do my best to accurately describe how the color looks in real life. However, the pictures may not necessarily look how I am describing due to my not having a DSLR camera where I can lock the setting. However, I took over 300 pictures, so I will try to post the ones that most accurately reflect how they appear in real life. For the most part, I compared against OEM halogens, since that is what this bulb competes against.

So lets start comparing how the Philips LED compares to OE halogen in the stock fog lights on my 2012 Camry.

The Philips LED bulb is a great way to get the instant on, instant off of LED bulbs, as well as that great color that we all love, while maintaining equivalent functionality of the fog lights.

Here is how they look in both fog lights:

They have a nice wide beam as well:

Most of the really wide light is not the brightest light the bulb produces. There is a prominent “hot spot” that contains more intense light. However, in real life, what I call “loose light” below is actually very noticeable and is usable light when driving. Take a look:

These are a great improvement over stock halogens. I really like how they throw the light on the road. Their lumens are supposed to be rated very close to stock H11 halogen, and it does appear that way. In the Camry’s fog lights, there was no loss of light, just change of color along with running cooler with lower draw. I actually took some temperature readings:

So as they were designed, the heat is escaping from the heat sink on the back, and the bulb is running almost half the temperature of a halogen bulb.

I really like how the light beam from these bulbs cuts in right at the edge of the bumper. You can’t see all the light from the driver’s seat, but it looks good when walking up to your car!

Here is another picture that I thought was interesting. These bulbs do look cool when looking through the housing lens:

Before going forward, lets take a look at color comparisons. Like I have mentioned in various other posts, I’m very particular about my fog lights being bluer than my low beams. These bulbs are slightly bluer than my normal low beam HIDs, which are Philips 85122 capsules, color shifted to about 4500-4700k. Here is how they look:

They look great. Slightly bluer, but nothing too concerning, even for me. However, the most popular color is 5000k, so lets see how the Philips fog lights look with 5000k low beam HIDs:

This is a great match. If you have 5000k HIDs, then feel confident that the Philips LED bulbs will compliment your HIDs very nicely.

Up to this point, the pictures have been taken with the Philips LED bulbs being used in my 2012 Camry’s H11 fog lights. However, the new trend for Toyota and Lexus, amongst other car manufacturers, is to use H8 or H16 fog light bulbs. The new RAV4, 4Runner, and Tundra use H16 fog lights. The down side to this is the circuit is only designed to handle H16 wattage, which, again, is only 19w. For comparison, an H11 bulb uses 55w. That is what is so great about these LED bulbs- their draw is around 10 or 11 watts if I remember correctly. So these bulbs are safe to be used in the lower current circuits that are H8 and H16. However, it is still the same power bulb, so it is about twice as bright as an H8 and H16 bulb. I’m lucky enough to have a 2013 RAV4 with the pitiful H16 fog lights, so I plugged these Philips LED bulbs in and checked how they compare. Spoiler alert: the Philips LED bulbs blow halogen H16s away in all aspects.

As the last picture says, the Philips LED bulbs are not nearly as blue as what that showed up as on the last picture. Not sure what happened there, but I really liked that comparison shot to show the difference of light on the road. Easily twice as bright – now the RAV4’s fog lights actually put real light on the road instead of essential night-time-running-lights that are H16 halogen bulbs. Another key difference, and perhaps my favorite thing about these bulbs, is how much wider the beam of the Philips LED bulbs are over the halogen H16s.

It is sort of hard to see, but they are 3 lanes wide. I love it. If you have a vehicle that uses an H8 or H16 fog light, I wouldn’t even think twice about buying these.

Just for fun, and because I have been reading a lot of posts here on TN about people asking about LED bulbs in their low beams, I took some pictures of these Philips LED bulbs in our low beam projectors. The first thing I noticed was the cool cat eye-like appearance. I’m not sure if this is normal for higher end vehicles, but I saw a new Corolla (which uses factory LED headlights) and it has the “cat-eye” thing going on too. Looks cool though.

Interestingly enough, the “cat-eye” appearance doesn’t get translated into the beam. In this picture, the right low beam is the Philips LED about 18-24” off the garage door.

Here is how they look from the front:

More pictures of them in the low beam projectors:

How they look from the driver’s seat:

Picture of the cut off with the Philips LED bulbs in the low beam projectors:

And comparing to stock:

(Bottom picture is with the fog lights on)

Final Thoughts: The Philips LED bulbs are great LED bulbs that give off the coveted white look, while simulating the halogen bulb’s beam pattern. All of this, with an installation as easy as replacing a bulb. While the most obvious benefit of these bulbs over an H11 halogen bulb is mainly their color, the difference between these bulbs versus H16 bulbs is astounding. In my opinion, there is no better solution out right now to replace an H16 fog light bulb. These Philips LED bulbs come with a three year warranty, and have no moving parts – leading me to believe their durability and lifespan should be great; as expected for bulbs at this price point. The color is a close match for all most frequently used HID kits, though they do go better with the “cooler” colors (5000k-6000k).

One of my main concerns with these bulbs was a fitment issue I experienced. I actually have two sets of these bulbs. One set fit perfectly fine with no problems whatsoever. However, the second set would not fit all the way flush. That is, when you insert the bulb, push in and twist, the bulb would not push in all the way to flush. It was getting caught on something. So after communicating this with XenonDepot (great customer service, by the way), we decided I would start shaving down the bulb to see where the fitment issue was. I used a hand held file to carefully trim down the bulb between the two small tabs. See below:

It didn’t take much, and took about 5 minutes per bulb since I was doing it carefully. But again, I had one set that fit fine, so it is strange. We have no clue what happened, but XenonDepot has said they have sold a lot of sets and they have not heard anything from their customers regarding fitment issues.

An update regarding this issue: today I spoke with XenonDepot. Apparently they contacted Philips directly to discuss the problem right when I brought it to their attention. In the few weeks since then, Philips has stopped production of these bulbs while they make changes that will address the fitment issue that I ran into. So that is good and bad. Good because the fitment issue is being addressed by Philips, but bad since it sounds like these bulbs will be out of stock until mid to late September. I think you can still order them though, that way XenonDepot will ship them to you as soon as they receive the updated version of these bulbs. This problem showed itself to me, and was caught early, as I was one of the first five people to have these in North America – no joke. So any buys that people buy based upon this review will be the updated version, version 2.0 if you will, and will not have the fitment issue I described above.

Bottom line: 1) if you are looking for an LED bulb for your fog lights, this is the bulb to get. 2) If you have an H8 or H16 fog light, why have you not already placed an order?! Literally night and day difference, the Philips LEDs are just awesome.

As always, thank you for checkout out my review. I hope you have an extremely good look at these Philips LED bulbs in various positions on various vehicles. If you have a buddy with a vehicle with H8 or H16 fog lights, or are on other forums for vehicles that use H8/H16 fog lights, be sure to link this review over for them! They would really love the difference these bulbs make.

I have had these for over a month before this review was posted, so observations that I made over a stretch of time, not just a few days, have been incorporated in this review. The more I see them at night in the RAV4’s fog lights (H16), the more I love them! If you have any picture requests, I have 300+ pictures that went into this review, so ask away and I will see what I can find! Same goes for questions – ask away!

Thanks again, and as a reward for reading the whole review, use coupon code GREATAVALON to get 10% off the Philips X-treme Ultinon LED bulbs!

UPDATE:

I ended up selling my Camry and bought a 2014 Tundra. I was very happy to see the Tundra uses H16 fog lights. I knew I wanted to run Philips LED bulbs. I've since installed these bulbs in the fog lights on my 2014 Tundra and my friend's 2014 Tacoma. I am still extremely happy with them, and I have no complaints about them whatsoever. Simple installation took 10 minutes for instant results, and instant improvement. Love it.

In my Tundra:

I use Osram CBI bulbs for my headlights, so they are about 5000k, maybe a few hundred kelvin higher.

Here is stock fog lights with my CBI headlights:

One stock fog light and one Philips LED:

Both in!:

As you can see, even though Philips rates them as a 6000k color, they are less blue than a traditional 6000k, and less blue than other 6000k offerings from Philips (i.e. 921 bulbs). They are nearly a 100% perfect match to the Osram CBI bulbs. Pretty awesome.

In my friend's Tacoma:

Right now I am testing unreleased LED headlights in his 2014 Tacoma H4 headlights. They are rated at 6500k, so this is a good comparison with something that is rated bluer, or "cooler", than the Philips LED bulbs.

Here is the LED headlight bulbs with the stock fog lights:

The Philips bulbs installed:

Beam color:

(Excuse the jacked up driver's side headlight beam pattern, I'm not sure exactly what happened there, but it appears something wasn't installed correctly).The Philips LED fog lights are definitely whiter than the LED headlights. The Philips LED bulbs aren't actually that yellow in person, they just appear that way because of the contrast with the much bluer LED headlights.

Color comparison between 6500k LED headlights and 6000k Philips LED fog lights:

So here you can see the Philips LED bulbs are definitely not as blue as the rated 6500k LED headlights. They look substantially "yellower" (read as "whiter") than the 6500k headlights, which correlates with my previous testament regarding the actual color of the Philips LED fog lights.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Perfect timing with this review, I was looking for different LED bulbs for my fogs and this look like they are it. Another great write up.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect timing with this review, I was looking for different LED bulbs for my fogs and this look like they are it. Another great write up.
Exactly, if you are looking for a LED bulb replacement, these are unmatched IMO.

Glad it was useful :)

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another great review! Also something else added to my list of to-dos... Lol.
Thank you!!! Lol!
Very nice review!! Could we expect any less? lol
Thanks man! :)

The LEDs look like a great way of getting that HID look in the fogs without being as glaring. Halogens still look brighter and more even, but that's to be expected until LED technology gets better, as it is rapidly doing.
Yea, they are pretty close in H11 to me in real life. But no contest the LEDs are way brighter when comparing with H16s :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Great review GA. :thumbsup:.

I have one on transit. Hopefully getting it on Saturday or Monday. Gonna go straight to the 13' RAV4 fogs which have a pathetic output. I do night time driving to/from work so the added brightness of the Philips will be a plus.

·
2012 Camry SE
2,437 Posts
Nice Job! I remember seeing the original pictures of the output when you first put these in. It seems to be better for the H8/H16 and is close in comparison for the H11.

Now the real question becomes since you have/had both which would you choose, these LED Fogs or the XB LED Fogs since they are the same price?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Matt - Great review. Thank you so much for taking the time to post up such a detailed and well written review of the Philips H11 / H8 / H16 LED bulbs. I'm happy to see that you're enjoying the bulbs, and found them to be a truly functional and cosmetic upgrade.

As per your review, we are currently anticipating our next shipment of these bulbs mid September and quantity will be somewhat limited.

Steve

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A great write up as usual. Those look fine. After I used GOOGLE to get the price, I'm not sure Santa Claus can afford them this year. lol
Lol! Thank you TAH!
Great review GA. :thumbsup:.

I have one on transit. Hopefully getting it on Saturday or Monday. Gonna go straight to the 13' RAV4 fogs which have a pathetic output. I do night time driving to/from work so the added brightness of the Philips will be a plus.
Sweet!!! They are awesome. Let me know how you like them!
Nice Job! I remember seeing the original pictures of the output when you first put these in. It seems to be better for the H8/H16 and is close in comparison for the H11.

Now the real question becomes since you have/had both which would you choose, these LED Fogs or the XB LED Fogs since they are the same price?
Thanks man! Exactly! They each have their pros and cons in my opinion. For certain when the RAV4 is fixed from the accident I will be getting the updated version of these Philips bulbs for it. Assuming I can't find the current bulbs that were in there...on the picture the one fog light is totally gone so not sure where the bulb actually is lol. I think the one bulb is pretty destroyed though since that was right at the point of impact. I'll find out when it gets to a body shop and I can dig into it...right now insurance is determining if it is totaled or not (I don't think it will be)
Matt - Great review. Thank you so much for taking the time to post up such a detailed and well written review of the Philips H11 / H8 / H16 LED bulbs. I'm happy to see that you're enjoying the bulbs, and found them to be a truly functional and cosmetic upgrade.

As per your review, we are currently anticipating our next shipment of these bulbs mid September and quantity will be somewhat limited.

Steve
Thank you, sir! I'm absolutely happy with them!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
For certain when the RAV4 is fixed from the accident I will be getting the updated version of these Philips bulbs for it. Assuming I can't find the current bulbs that were in there...on the picture the one fog light is totally gone so not sure where the bulb actually is lol.
Let me know what you need!

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it safe to use as Low Beam? I mean can you see anything at night time?
They are OK, I wouldn't call them "safe", but that is just because I don't know. The biggest thing with them in the low beam projectors is their lack of a "hot spot". The OEM halogen's hot spot isn't very big, but at least it is there. Everywhere else besides the hot spot their isn't much of a difference.

Can you see anything at night time? Yea, you can see. I drove around with them in my low beams for a while - it was fine. Brightness was about like the halogens but like I said, without a hot spot (or as big of a hot spot). So it's up to you. Is it safe is a loaded question that will get you a careful answer back.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Got this today 8/22. Went ahead and install it on the RAV4 but as your other set, I have fitment issue as well. It doesn't sit properly just like yours so I have to trim it to fit but that will be later when I have time. :frown:.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got this today 8/22. Went ahead and install it on the RAV4 but as your other set, I have fitment issue as well. It doesn't sit properly just like yours so I have to trim it to fit but that will be later when I have time. :frown:.
Ah, ok thanks for your verification. Like I said in the review, Philips knows about the issue has stopped production while they make version 2 of these bulbs which has been confirmed to fix this fitment issue.
I guess I'll stick with HID then. Thanks for your replied though. :)
No problem :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts