Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'll be honest ... I have an early 90's Camry that has a good amount of miles on it. It's been well taken care of but I've been having some problems lately. I'm not exactly sure what's wrong, but at different times the car will not start. It turns like it's about to start but it never catches. It's done this on several different occasions and I haven't been able to distinguish what I'm doing that might cause it.

Anyways, I dropped it off at the dealer thinking they're the professionals and should be able to solve my problem. After 4 days of testing different things they were unable to come up with anything ... which I really don't have a problem with. My issue is that after I picked up my car my air conditioner is no longer working and the light just blinks.

So .... I call up the dealer and explain my issue and they say that "they probably put the compressor on too tight, just push the button a few times." They tell me shop is closing and that I'll have to come back in 2 days(because of the holiday) so I ask them to note my issue.

I drop off the car and hear nothing for hours so I come by the shop to check the progress. I'm promptly informed that my a/c compressor and a/c clutch are bad and that they need to be replaced to the tune of $1200. They say they never worked on the a/c compressor and the guy that told me that they "probably" put the compressor on too tight doesn't remember our conversation. There's also no note in the system. I get the manager involved and he tells me that they guy probably made a mistake in telling me about the compressor since they didn't work on it ... but that the car has lots of miles and compressors go bad. "It's like prediciting when a light bulb will go bad". Now, I understand this to a certain extent, but this just sounds shady.

Where do I go from here? Can "putting on the compressor too tight" burn it out? Is there a way I can tell if they actually worked on the compressor? It's pretty much my word against there's and I'm at a lost on what to do. Is there a way to forward my issue up through the dealership to a region manager?

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions. My issue could very well be exactly as they say, but after the way I've been treated ... it's hard to have confidence in this dealer.

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
Yes, a belt that is to tight can put too much tension on the shaft and cause a drag. This can cause premature wear, especially if the compressor already has a lot of miles.

Usually a car with this kind of age builds up a lot of dirt and smudge in the engine bay if not cleaned regularly. Check the general area of the compressor. If it is dirty all around it, but not in the areas of removal, they most likely did remove it. If the dirt is present, they didn't touch it. That is the only suggestion I can think of. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, I appreciate your response. I'll take a look under the hood and see if there's any "evidence".

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
i would take it to another shop. (non dealer, but ones that you can trust) and have them check it. if you have connections to someone who works in a shop that would be perfect. or, you can buy repair manuals and do it yourself.. i think its much better than having dealership touch your car
i never trust dealers since i got my 2nd camry.. theyre a bunch of ripoffs.. i've had my experiences with my 1st one..

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
6,090 Posts
Dealerships I swear, should post a sign along with the hrly mech rate...how much more money they are going to add on!
Def. find a new mechanic-someone you can trust. Make friends with a Toy mechanic...my b/f's neighbor works on mine and only charges me what he's paid for the part. I suggest you start making friends! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lauren said:
Dealerships I swear, should post a sign along with the hrly mech rate...how much more money they are going to add on!
Def. find a new mechanic-someone you can trust. Make friends with a Toy mechanic...my b/f's neighbor works on mine and only charges me what he's paid for the part. I suggest you start making friends! ;)
lol ... if only I had friends like that!

It's a very difficult situation and I'm kinda torn on what to do. I honestly believe they are responsible for my compressor failure. Calling them liars and crooks to their face probably won't go over well so I'm trying to figure out a more diplomatic approach. My first step was of course educating myself on the part/procedure and I thank all of you for your support and advice.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5Sfte said:
Yes, a belt that is to tight can put too much tension on the shaft and cause a drag. This can cause premature wear, especially if the compressor already has a lot of miles.

Usually a car with this kind of age builds up a lot of dirt and smudge in the engine bay if not cleaned regularly. Check the general area of the compressor. If it is dirty all around it, but not in the areas of removal, they most likely did remove it. If the dirt is present, they didn't touch it. That is the only suggestion I can think of. I hope this helps.
BTW, hate to hijack my own thread ... but I was born at Holloman AFB - Alamogordo, N.M. I've the greatest memories playing at Whitesands and heading up to Cloudcroft.

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
Crazy. I was born in El Paso and got stuck at Holloman when I joined the AF.

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
Where in Texas are you at now and why the hell haven't you posted in Me/Mine/Mods?:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hah, most of my extended family is in El Paso (where my parents are from). Just got back from there a few weeks ago as a matter of fact. :)

I'm in San Antonio.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bitch directly to Toyota. I know a jackass in my town that had a Ford Excursion with a lift kit and oversized tires and tore his t-case from his tranny:barf:, neutral drops on asphalt? He bitched enough to Ford and got everything fixed for free. Do not lay down to those sorry bastards.

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,433 Posts
welcome to my world.

Yea, did u find the "evidence" on the compressor? I had a repair shop fix my car after it was crashed and they put things on back all shady and missing screws and shit. They couldn't help me since I had driven the car and they probally fell out them selves or they thought I have mis-treated it some how cause they said "our tech's would never do that and they are trained professionals..." My ass

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
Esco said:
Hah, most of my extended family is in El Paso (where my parents are from). Just got back from there a few weeks ago as a matter of fact. :)

I'm in San Antonio.
What's your family's last name? Know any Franklins?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dealerships/Service

It's not odd to take an older car into a dealership for some little problem then end up with a bigger problem days later. It's not just Toyota ... Honda is worse, not to mention Ford. I got to a point where I bought an older car ... on that 'backyard mechanic' friendly. You'll be surprised how much money you can save ... and how more reliable it is.
Another thing is to bend the ears of some of the parts people at the dealership to find out who is there better mechanics and in a round-a-bout way ... see if they moonlight.
Otherwise find a good mechanic and forget about the dealerships, they can't even handle warranty work honestly.:naughty:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts