Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Yesterday a storm blew in that dropped tennis ball sized hail in places. We had golf-ball+ sized hail here, and my Tacoma's got hail damage on the hood and roof. I've got around 30 dings on the hood, and around 30 on the roof. A tree next to it protected the side thankfully.

I imagine it would probably be cheaper to just replace the hood, right? I don't know if anything can be done for the roof. Where's a good place to get replacement hoods?

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
i think i saw something on the news about this

trdparts4u.com has replacement parts for good prices.

as far as the roof goes, put a roof rack on it and call it good :thumbsup:

Edit: trdparts4u.com is the parts division of toyota of dallas by the way

·
Rocket Scientist
36 Posts
You might also see what your insurance policy stipulates for hail damage and what your deductible for that might be.

-Kopland

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
I bought a new hood from Toyota for $200.00 out here in Cali .
Wow, that's cheap. Was it a sport hood and did it need to be painted?

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think i saw something on the news about this

trdparts4u.com has replacement parts for good prices.

as far as the roof goes, put a roof rack on it and call it good :thumbsup:

Edit: trdparts4u.com is the parts division of toyota of dallas by the way
Yeah, it was on the news. It was freaky how fast the thing blew in, and it was during rush hour so there probably thousands of cars with hail damage in this area.

I checked out trdparts4u.com and their hoods run around $310 before tax which is less than my deductible. It looks like I'll probably order a new hood.

And the roof rack idea isn't a bad one. :D

·
Did somebody say snow?
231 Posts
I was wondering if you might be able to see about paintless dent removal. Those guys have some tools that do amazing things, and they can get in places that you thought were impossible.

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
^^^agreed. if you dont want to go the insurance route, give the paintless dent removal guys a call.

Nathan
ycart1201

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
x3 they use suction cups and tools that massage the dings and dents to normal.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was way off on both the number of dings and the cost of repairs. There are over 120 dings on the hood, and almost as many on the roof. The side panels only have about 10 between them, which is odd since the hail came down at an angle.

The damage to the truck is around $3100 according to my insurance company. I still think I'll just replace the hood, and live with the other dings. Now I need to find a body shop that'll replace the hood and give me a check for the rest... :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Every year I fear hail damage here in KCMO. I bought my Tacoma in 05 and have driven through a couple of light hail storms. I drove through one in spring 06 that was easily the most worried I have been driving on the highway. Luckily, I was real close to my aunts house and phoned her, got off the HW & parked in her garage before the hacky sack-tennis ball hail came in. I was pulling in the garage as soon as it got larger and was lucky. I am sure this year will produce large amounts of hail. It already has hailed this year. It seems like every time it rains, it hails here anymore...................

·
Registered
2005 access 2wd
291 Posts
"Pop a Dent" using suction cups or possibly some tap bars behind the damage is the way to go. Many times, the hail dents will pop out on their own in the sun.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
"Pop a Dent" using suction cups or possibly some tap bars behind the damage is the way to go. Many times, the hail dents will pop out on their own in the sun.
:wtf: Never heard that one before! :ugh3:

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Also heard of letting it sit out in the sun on a hot day and then putting dry ice on the dings. (Use protection- dry ice can not be safely touched by your skin) Works the same way as when body shops would heat the ding with a torch and then slap a cold wet rag on it. Of course, the torch results in a paint job. :D

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts