Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told you all about a plastic repair kit, purchased at NAPA, and I said I'd let you know how it worked, Well..... It didn't, car's at the shop getting new radiator now. I tried to save a few bucks but replacement is the only way to go for a long term solution. thanks for the helpful suggestions anyway!!

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
you could have probably changed it yourself, with some pretty basic tools, its not a very complicated procedure...

did you have the radiator dry when you tried to patch it? did you sand down the area then clean it up with rubbing alcohol?

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,073 Posts
In addition to sanding it, I score the area deeply with a cutter or screw driver too, to give the epoxy some more holding power. Also drill dimples in the crack ends to stop them from creeping.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
you HAVE to be kidding....drop 2 eggs in? wouldnt the eggs like cook or something in there lol :lol:

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Hatch said:
you HAVE to be kidding....drop 2 eggs in? wouldnt the eggs like cook or something in there lol :lol:
that's the idea... but its more of an emergency fix

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem. The thread is somewhere on here. I used a radiator repair kit but it ended up coming through the edges. It is still leaking as we speak. The kit came with some epoxy, a brush, some alcohol, and some other stuff. Worked okay for a week. I bought a used radiator from Rapeacivic but it's for a 1mz-fe so I need to figure out how to fit it on my 3vz-fe. Now's a good chance to get a performance radiator though. If I had the dough, I would've.

·
Official TN PimP
485 Posts
Nick said:
that's the idea... but its more of an emergency fix
yea but its a emergency fix, not for long time purposes, just to get by on for maybe a day or two...otherwise that little hairline crack is gonna turn into wat i had, a crack in the radiator and stoped me from goin to somwhere important...and it cost me like 600 to fix, w\e its all done with, that was my old car the 94 cam.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nick said:
you could have probably changed it yourself, with some pretty basic tools, its not a very complicated procedure...

did you have the radiator dry when you tried to patch it? did you sand down the area then clean it up with rubbing alcohol?
Yes I did all the things you asked, and ya I could've fixed it myself but it would have been a learn as I go kinda procedure, and I would hate to chance screwing up the camry, the guy that replaced the radiator seemed honest, and skilled and I trusted him to fix it correctly, also has a 1yr warrenty, I had the thermostat replaced also (oem) total cost that day was $391 , I didn't feel ripped off when I picked the car up like I do at the toyota dealer!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts