Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I turned on the heated steering wheel on my Limited last night only to find out it's actually only heated on approx half the surface!!! Top and bottom not heated!!! Are you kidding me!!! I drive with my hand on the top of the wheel as most people do and have no heat in this area whatsoever!!
Don't remember reading in the sales brochure that it's only half the wheel that's heated??

What a joke Toyota major major fail!!!! I feel completely ripped off!!

Complete misrepresentation!

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in a cold climate so yes it's important to me.
I also like receiving what was represented to me and what I paid for. If it's a defect great... but highly unlikely. Heat stops at stitch lines on the top and bottom of the wheel...
Would half a heated seat be OK? Maybe just your left side!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just checked mine and only the sides of the steering wheel are heated.
I also purchased a Honda Ridgeline and the seat heater for the passenger side only heats the seat portion and not the back. Honda says its something to do with the air bags but that doesn't make sense because the drivers side is heated top and bottom.

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
They want you to drive with your hands on the sides of the wheel. This way, in case of a wreck and the air bag goes off, you dont punch yourself in the face.
Been there, done that, hurt my nose AND hand at the same time. :lol:

Just checked mine and only the sides of the steering wheel are heated.
Likewise on mine, only the sides at 9 and 3. Was a little bit of a surprise to me as well, but oh well - just a minor gripe for me.

·
Registered
'15 Platinum HL
4 Posts
Mine heats the sides, from 10 to 2, all the way down to the bottom. Only a tiny section of the bottom doesn't heat. It doesn't bother me since I usually have my left hand at about the nine o'clock position.

Loved it this morning when it was 1 degree out. Every time I remembered it was heated I put my right hand back on the wheel.

·
Registered
2007 Acura TL Type S
367 Posts
Yeah it's sort of bogus that the top isn't heated. My Overland was heated the entire length. After owning our first Toyota I'm realizing Toyota does do some goofy things. Oh well, it's the wife's car ;-)

·
Registered
973 Posts
More like 75% heated. From the 10 to the 2 positions going underneath....the top will warm too just not as fast. No need for this drama!

·
Registered
'14 4Runner Trail Ed
515 Posts
Our '08 Lexus LS460 was only heated at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions too.
A-ha! A major clue here. Most Lexus steering wheels are wood at the top & bottom, which is likely difficult (impossible?) to heat. So what we may have is a downward migration of 7+ year old Lexus technology to lowly Toyota, without any noticeable changes or improvement.

Agree that there's too much drama over this. It works for most people, and no matter what was done, someone would still complain. Human nature.....

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
My steering wheel hand warmers work around the entire circumference of the steering wheel..... they're called *gloves*..... got them at JC Penney for $20. hehehe

Sorry, couldn't help a little sarcastic humor.....

I live in Michigan and honestly - I hardly ever wear gloves. I have never found a steering wheel to be so cold that I wished it was heated. the pleather wrapped wheel is pretty nice and seems (like all leather wrapped wheels I've owned) to have insulation properties - not like grabbing a frosted over steel steering wheel from a 68 Chevy pickup....

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Rav4
86 Posts
What did we do 10 years ago? Wore gloves, cranked up the heat, or bought a fuzzy steering wheel cover. It is amazing technology.

·
4,179 Posts
At least you didn't go with the Chromtec steering wheel not only does it stick out further but if it gets damaged you have to replace the whole steering wheel! The lower half of the steering wheel is unfinished though, to match the outside of the vehicle. >:D

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
LOL

This has become quite the thread!

If Toyota is so proud that the center console takes so many cans or milk cartons, why not just make it a refrigerator so we can keep things cool in it?

Why do we even have built in stereo head units? They just need to make all the connection techs transmit the signals, and we can pop in an iPad Mini or Andriod device and take the car info feeds onto the device that we want to use for entertainment? Maybe keep a CD player just for that rare occasion or those holding on to the media. Otherwise our devices output a better signal than the built in units (This I could see happening as an option).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts