Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Toyota Corolla
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I recently replaced the right front half shaft and inner axle seal on my 99 LE. I am now leaking transmission fluid from the same seal. I know everything was installed correctly, the seal and shaft are all the way in, etc.

Could it be possible that the aftermarket half shaft is slightly thinner than the OEM one where it contacts the seal, causing it to leak? The seals were exactly the same, so I know it's not that.

Any input or help from previous experiences would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think this is a good thread to introduce myself and also to leave a short comment. I used the name Tularosa because it is my hometown in New Mexico.

I have 2 2000 Toyota Corollas. One with 207,000 and the other with 110,000. I also replaced both CV Shafts on my 2000 Corolla (4 speed) (207,000). The passenger side seal was easy to instal and seems to be holding. The driver's side seal was a different story. It was a pain to install. I thought I did a good job of getting it in there but it developed a slow drip right after I put everything back together. I took the advice of buying a new seal and replacing it. It seems to be holding for now. I had a hard time getting this seal seated because it was a bit bigger than the passenger side. I finally used a long extention and a hammer to gently tap it into place. I read on another thread that someone used a large peice of PVC to do the same job. That seems like a good idea and I might do than in the future.

I appreciate you guys imparting some of your wisdom on fellas like me that are still learning.

Thank you.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts