Toyota Nation Forum banner

3281 - 3299 of 3299 Posts

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
No need buy all those extra cups in either Hub Tamer or Harbour Freight kits (only 3 sizes needed). Basic kit Iinked to above, 3" section of exhaust pipe and this bolt, is all you need (and matching nut). I cut another 1" of threads onto bolt, or use some of the other cups as spacers.

I'm doing my other front-hub bearing now. I'll take some photos and write up DIY. Luckily for you, with flush edges on both outer & inner races, you can skip some steps.

Edit: oh wait, i do rent hub-puller & slide-hammer for free from Autozone.

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,282
Danno I split the cost of the kit with a friend since he wanted it for his press anyway and it made the job a lot easier. Well...

Update 1: Shop wanted $70 for one bearing, no hub just knuckle. I ordered the $73 press set.

Update 2: Got the press set, pressed out the bearing successfully at my friend's place and pressed the new one in. Felt good! End of the day win after a few hours of nonstop losses. Inner race still stuck on the hub, tried to rent a claw puller but that didn't work. Kept popping off. Rented a bearing splitter but we couldn't get it situated on his press, couldn't get it off the bars high enough to make room for the hub to drop. So I took my W, went home and I'll just cut the race off like I planned to earlier. Also pressed the bushing out of the trailing arm, and noticed it was pretty bent. What isn't bent on my car?? So we straightened it with a vise and I'll likely need a new one sometime. For now it's getting poly bushings from SuperPro and going back together this weekend hopefully. Gotta return all the rented tools, bust out the Dremel and hacksaw, and get that all assembled.

Update 3: Cut the race off the hub, Dremel went through it very easily. Cut most of the way and tapped it off. Cleaned up the hub and proceeded to use that press kit to press it in. Stupidly used the wrong plate on the knuckle side (big enough for the knuckle opening, not the bearing) and ended up pressing the inner race of the new bearing 1/2" out. Pressed it back together flush and it looks fine, seal lines up and all, and it spins exactly the way it did before. Really hoping I didn't damage anything. Now getting a small hand saw to saw out the bushing sleeve from the knuckle to install SuperPro bushings and get it all back together. Maybe this will happen today.*

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Sorry, should’ve mentioned how to get old bearing out of spindle.

1. Get 3” section of 3” exhaust tubing. This is to support back side of spindle to push bearing out.
2. Split it lengthwise so you can expand it to 3.25” or whatever largest side fits into back side of spindle, and leaves large enough opening for bearing to push into (last photo above)

3. Remove circlip
4. Remove inner seal if there’s one

5. Find press-cup that fits over bearing completely from outside
6. Find large press-cup that fits over exhaust tubing on back side
7. Connect two cups with large screw/bolt and tighten with impact wrench
7b. If impact wrench can’t push bearing out, go back to step 4.5 and heat spindle in oven @ 400F for 30-minutes (no pre-heating needed, this is not a baking class!)

8. Use 5-tonne hydraulic press if you’ve got one. Or 3/4” breaker bar with 2’ long handle extension

9. Press back bearing with cup that pushes on outer race (same OD as bearing). Light oil will help it slide on, like PB Blaster.

10. Re-install circlip and seal.

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,284
I ended up doing that with a proper sleeve rather than exhaust tubing, using a friend's press. My mid-range DeWalt 20V impact wasn't strong enough, only 330 ft lbs (great little impact, zips off axle nuts with ease). Once I had that sleeve it was a piece of cake removing the bearing and pressing it in.

Throwing headlights in the oven is one thing, but I think I'd have my throat slit for throwing a knuckle in hahaha.

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,287
Haha I was considering outfitting my garage with little necessities like that. Already got my first ever garage sink and I'm over the moon.

The knuckle-side trailing arm bushing sleeve has been such a pain. None of my saws touched it. Jigsaw, hacksaw, small hand saw... I dunno why but the metal wouldn't cut even with a proper metal blade. Out came the air hammer, and it was out.

SuperPro bushings installed with dev's bushing tool.

Car is back together now! New axle nut, all bushings torqued under the car's own weight. Other side got a brand new axle nut as well, properly torqued down and now impacted down like it was before. Went together smooothly.

It's finally down on its own wheels. Small peek at my ugly but spacious garage. Walls are dark and have plenty of nooks and crannies for spiders, lighting is absolutely awful... but it's so big. I can leave my car disassembled for as long as I need now, and still garage my daily. And it has a cutout in the back with a workbench. The surface is trashed, just falls apart, but with a cutting mat of some sort it'll be perfect. I'm super happy with it! Just need to throw up my LED ceiling lights.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Awesome work! It always feels so good when you tighten that last bolt!!!

I have some overhead fluorescent lights you can have. Got some with 2x 4-ft bulbs and some with 4x bulbs.

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,291
I'm not sure. After all this work my alignment is SLIGHTLY ruined. I'm wondering if I should take the 11 days before autocross to do the other trailing arm (tough job) and replace the front lower strut mounts then get an alignment, or just keep the alignment as it is because I'm broke and see what happens at autox. FA still refuses to answer my emails BTW.

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,297
Got to do my first autocross in a year, literally. May 4th autocross, last one I went to was May 5th in the Lexus. I had a great time!

The Fortune Auto 500 coilovers, ignoring my major grievances with the company (they still haven't replied to any emails), are fantastic. They're relatively soft and comfortable on the freeway. 5k/7k spring rates might be a bit high for a daily, but for a sports car on the street they're great for just driving around town and on the freeway. And despite their softness, they stiffen up great when pushing the car. I switched the sway bars back to stock during the coilover install as I wanted to see how they perform. And I don't think the sway bars are necessary at all.

When going into corners, the car rolls very little and feels calm and composed. The spring rate balance front to back is excellent, and the knobs on top of the shocks make quite a big difference. On BC Racing coilovers each click did very little. I spent half the day adjusting tire pressure and damping to get the car to perform right. I actually ended up with 3 clicks from soft on the front and 7 from soft on the rear. Every click definitely adjusted the way the car balances through turns. With my setup, I have mild oversteer that can be harsh if you push it hard, but it allows me to rotate the car mid corner which is really useful. Front washes out easy at speed so getting the rear to rotate is useful. Still running the old (not too old, no cracks) BFG Sport Comp2 320tw tires and I've long passed the limitations of the tires, I need better ones.

tl;dr the car feels nimble, precise, and very well balanced. Rotates when it needs to, pivots great with throttle modulation, but grips really well. The coilovers are fantastic.

My best time of the day was 44.6, but my dash cam didn't catch it. Got a video of 45.2 though. That last slalom was nearly straight but it was really easy to unsettle the car at WOT, so a lot of people spun or washed out there. I ended up hitting a finish cone once. It's a very challenging course, but very fun. Definitely need better tires next time I go! And need to fix a bumper tab as I cracked it.. again.

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,299
If I push harder, the front end washes out. If I stiffen the rear, the car rotates too much. Rear end just flies out as soon as I corner. Mid engine car, rear is harder to control. I'm definitely at the limits of these tires but the tire squeal is pretty minimal for those reasons.

3281 - 3299 of 3299 Posts