Toyota Nation Forum banner

Ham Radio operator

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  oldranger1 
#1 ·
OK. In reading the manual, it says before you install and use a 2 way radio in the Rav 4 contact the dealer. something about the sensitive computer stuff that runs things. Not talking about a lot of wattage from the radio. 10 watts max. Not like a CB. The output is a very clean signal. Antenna will be mounted near the back of the roof. Any hams out there running the RAV 4.

John

#2 ·
I'm a ham (Amateur Extra, KD8..., send me a private message if you want my full callsign).

This is a standard warning that every manufacturer puts in their cars. Actually, no all manufacturers, only those who consider the installation of a transceiver a real possibility, other simply don't bother to check.

I have run all kinds of radios (HF, VHF, UHF) in my Toyotas (several of them, not RAV), up to 100W HF and 50W VHF/UHF without any issues. As long as you install the radio properly, there should be no problems.

Key electronics like the engine and body ECUs are well shielded and "industrial" grade, much more hardened than household electronics.

The only things I would be concerned is running your coax or placing the antenna too close to an ECU, key sensors (like ones that control airbags or VSC) and airbags inflators. Although the probability of having a problem is low, you wouldn't want an airbag to go off when you key the mike. Or have the VSC kick-in when not necessary.

Find out where all the different sensors are and stay clear of them. For example, the yaw sensor that senses turn ratio / acceleration and provides input to the VSC (and indirectly airbag ECU) is located between front seats, more or less under the hand brake lever. This is just one example. Airbag collision sensors are mounted in the doors (several of them) and the front of the car. Don't know where the rollover sensor is in the RAV. You may want to get a full "map" of all the different collision and VSC sensors, as well as the different ECUs and airbag inflators, and route the coax at least 4-5 inches away. For example, my FJ cruiser had 5 different ECUs and over a dozen collision / VSC sensors, and some locations are not obvious.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info katekebo. I will be using a Kenwood V71A that uses either 5, 10 , or 50 watts output and a Diamond 5/8 wave super gainer. No HF. Around town, I am normally only on ten watts. Out on the interstates on trips, I run full power. While I decide where The WIFE wants me to mount the antenna I will be using an HT and a mini mag mount for 2 meters and 440. Thinking about having the main part (body) of the V71A just behind the drivers seat on the floor. The face plate display will be on a cup holder mount next to the shifter. The mini coax can go in the second door behind the driver seat. Very thin coax so there is not a problem with leakage. May mount the 5/8 on the roof rail there.

John
KB4OIF

#4 ·
katekebo. I run my V71a of the power point. It says in the manual that it is a 10 amp power point. The V71A pulls right at 12 amps on high power. I did some testing of an antenna today and forgot to put the power down to 10 watts where it pulls about 6 amps. Suggestions other than hooking it to the battery right now on a new vehicle.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.