Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got the following problem - I tried to disassemble the passenger side front door handle (the one from the inside of the car, not the external one!).
After pulling up the cover at the top and unscrewing the 2 screws I came to a stop - I can't figure out what exactly still holds it to place (at the bottom part).
Seemingly there were no any other screws or anything else that holds it, but nevertheless it's still not coming out.
Any help from s.o. that has done that before !?

Thanks,
Ike

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Huh? Is this for a 7th gen, because they only have one screw that holds the interior handle, and while it is a snug fit it should come out fairly easily. It's a rod that is held in by a clip to actually open the door latch. You need a small screw driver to pop it free (left side has the opening to pop it free) and then pull it out. I advise you hold this in place with a pair of locking pliers so you don't drop it down into the door while doing this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh? Is this for a 7th gen, because they only have one screw that holds the interior handle, and while it is a snug fit it should come out fairly easily. It's a rod that is held in by a clip to actually open the door latch. You need a small screw driver to pop it free (left side has the opening to pop it free) and then pull it out. I advise you hold this in place with a pair of locking pliers so you don't drop it down into the door while doing this.
i

Hi, CJ,
It's actually Toyota Corolla 1997.
I'm afraid I wasn't quite clear - I'm not trying to disassemble the handle that opens the door itself - from the inside. I was referencing the 'BIG' handle below it - that is used to get the door and slam it closed (-:) ...
This is the one I'm trying to disassemble because the 2-nd (self-tapping) screw has actually (?snapped) - can't further tighten it ...
So I need to remove this handle in order to see what the problem is ...

Thanks,
Ike

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Well, the generation is correct. I think you mean the arm rest then. Sorry, I don't really know how to remove it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You stick your hand into the top part and literally pull/jerk up on the inside of the handle/rest. It will pop out as clips hold it in vertically. Then you will see the two screws beneath it.
Ok, I have done all that so far :)-) - the question is - what do you do AFTER removing the 2 screws -
that 'arm-rest' handle is still held there by s.th. else.
(Might be it's glued to the door interior or there's s.th. else holding it.)

Thanks anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts