Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have a 2021 Black Venza LE with 6,616 miles that I purchased in May. I have never had a car that I am still learning features after six months. I learned on this forum recently that the Venzas come with hands free power back door, however I have not been able to get the kick sensor to activate. So, there is one of two conclusions. The first is that I am doing something wrong, although I have watched the video and it seems simple. The second conclusion is that the LE does not come with the hands free power back door, however it appears from the advertising that it is a feature for all three models. The manual has interesting wording: "Using the kick sensor (vehicles with Hands Free Power Back Door)." Usually, the manual references that a feature is not available on a particular model, but this leads me to believe some LEs have the hands free power back door and some do not. Also, there does not seem to be an election in the settings display to turn the sensor on or off. Any of you know whether some (or all) LEs do not have this feature? Thanks all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’ll need your key fob on you and when kicking its a continuous kicking up/down motion. Do not stop on your up kick.
I've had my key fob on me, but admittedly I may not be kicking correctly. Earlier this evening, I probably looked like I was having a good dance with the Venza, and never could get it to work. But I will continue trying. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,544 Posts
It's touchy, and I find it unreliable.
You have to be standing back enough so the gate will clear you when it passes in front of you, so you need to be about 2ft back. Any closer and it'll ignore you.
Of course, standing 2ft back means 3 if you are holding a box.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I can get it to work 9 out of 10 times. Kick straight forward and back while standing in the middle (don't hit the bumper with your foot).

Strangely, the only times it hasn't worked has been when other people were watching -- for example, waiting for my parking stall. Then you have to juggle what's in your hands to press the button, while trying to pretend you obviously meant to do that.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to find the on/off for hands-free power back door in settings, so my Venza does have this feature. It is switched on, so the conclusion is my Venza simply does not like my kick! I tried for ten minutes this morning to give the Venza the appropriate kick (to the amusement of my neighbors), but it still has not worked. I will continue my endeavors with the fewest people watching. I appreciate all of your suggestions and look forward to learning more about my Venza in this forum. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
2021 Venza Limited
878 Posts
Never had a kick fail to open it, has worked perfect since I bought the vehicle Sep 2020, yesterday after salmon fishing on the Klickitat river, I used my wading staff to "kick" it for the first time, worked fine to my amazement! (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so I finally have solved my issue here. I have been kicking in the center (directly beneath the Toyota symbol), but the sensor appears to be to the left of center four or five inches. Once I moved over the width of my shoe, it works. Lol. I must have done this five hundred times in the last two weeks without being off center (to the left) once. The reference in the owners manual and video discusses "center," and I took this literally.

·
Registered
2021 Venza Limited
878 Posts
The sensor consists of a couple wires that run across the width of the bumper valance, that's why it works fine kicking off-center if a hitch (activity mount) is installed, never had to kick off center on mine (no hitch) or either of the two demo Venzas (XLE and Ltd) I drove.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay, so I finally have solved my issue here. I have been kicking in the center (directly beneath the Toyota symbol), but the sensor appears to be to the left of center four or five inches. Once I moved over the width of my shoe, it works. Lol. I must have done this five hundred times in the last two weeks without being off center (to the left) once. The reference in the owners manual and video discusses "center," and I took this literally.
Dang it he figured it out. I was enjoying the entertainment sitting on my front porch drinking a beer :sneaky:.

·
Registered
2021 Venza XLE, 2018 Prius Prime Advanced
648 Posts
The sensor consists of a couple wires that run across the width of the bumper valance, that's why it works fine kicking off-center if a hitch (activity mount) is installed,
Hmm. Mine has two down firing proximity sensors (like the other ones on the front and back bumpers for parking assist etc.). They are spaced about 3 or 4 feet apart but nothing directly in the middle.

·
Registered
2021 Venza Limited
878 Posts
Hmm. Mine has two down firing proximity sensors (like the other ones on the front and back bumpers for parking assist etc.). They are spaced about 3 or 4 feet apart but nothing directly in the middle.
Read the links I posted, there are pics of the actual sensor components as well as the parts schematic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts