Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, just finished washing my 2019 Avalon Hybrid, went to shine the tires with just 32k miles on them and noticed the bulge. I have seen others here post the same thing and I also shook my head when I saw the Hankooks on it when I picked it up and yes I know why Toyota chose them as OEM (price). But DAMN!!!! Your flagship sedan vehicle and you cheap out on what is the one item that directly connects the driver to the road, REALLY?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Well, next question: Looking for a quiet riding long life all season replacement set in the near future, Suggestions? I've always had good luck with Michelins, Continental and Bridgestoness in the past, Any other thoughts?

Side Note: Filled out the questionnaire on Tire Racks website citing what is important to me and the 2 recommendations were a Goodyear (no thanks for other reasons) and Yokohama Avid Ascend LX: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9&autoModel=Avalon+Hybrid&autoModClar=Limited

Anyone with experience on these?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michelin CC2s seem to be pretty popular.
Personally, I've got 23k on my '21 AVH and the Hancooks are doing just fine

View attachment 384768
I hope they last awhile for you, every brand has issues here and there but as my original post stated there are other instances of these Hankook's sidewalls bulging in this forum, not to mention they are ranked second to last out of 90 tires listed "beat out" only by the Bridgestone Turanze EL440 on Tire Rack's website. Surprisingly the top rated included a couple of Goodyear offerings, I may have to revisit my prior stance. Good friend is an auto dealer, when he first saw the car he immediately noticed the Hankooks, his only comment was "Who would of figured the Japenese would ever be buying a Korean made tire as OEM?"

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well, just finished washing my 2019 Avalon Hybrid, went to shine the tires with just 32k miles on them and noticed the bulge. I have seen others here post the same thing and I also shook my head when I saw the Hankooks on it when I picked it up and yes I know why Toyota chose them as OEM (price). But DAMN!!!! Your flagship sedan vehicle and you cheap out on what is the one item that directly connects the driver to the road, REALLY?

Well, next question: Looking for a quiet riding long life all season replacement set in the near future, Suggestions? I've always had good luck with Michelins, Continental and Bridgestoness in the past, Any other thoughts?

Side Note: Filled out the questionnaire on Tire Racks website citing what is important to me and the 2 recommendations were a Goodyear (no thanks for other reasons) and Yokohama Avid Ascend LX

First of all, sorry you're experiencing that, that is unfortunate and if there's plenty of tread left, even more so. I'm wondering if they can be replaced under warranty? In regards to why Toyota chose Hankook, it's not just about price and the bottom line. A manufacturer likes to diversify its suppliers for various reasons, even if some brands are better. If everyone chose Michelin and Continentals, they would become too strong or the smaller brands might go out of business.

In regards to suggestions, if long life is a priority, I suggest going with Consumer Reports' recommendations, since they are the only ones I know of that objectively measures treadwear. TireRack treadwear ratings are not reliable.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I've used Hankook tires since the 1990's without ever having something like that. The Optimo Hankooks on 2 of my 3 Toyotas (Michelins on the Camry) give good wear and road performance, though noisier than the Goodrich OEM tires the car came with. Your car may have been fitted with a bad lot or special lot for Toyota instead of the Goodrich tires they used to supply. Like Name of User suggested, look into warranty replacement, even if prorated. I had a Firestone tire bulge like that and after a few days, blow out- new tire popped its' sidewall. On the other hand, I've seen tires have ripply sidewalls and never have a problem.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rotated once never rebalanced
Not to go too far off topic, but my 2020 Limited with under 9000 miles was at the dealer today for its last “free” service. They tried to upsell me on tire rebalancing, engine treatment, and at least two other completely unnecessary services. But tire rebalancing, though? On a low mileage, almost-new car with no vibration or reason of any kind? Really?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep, welcome to the wonderful "Bulge Club".
We wound up going with the Michelin CrossClimate 2's.
Had them on the car for a few months now, no complaints.

Wrote about them in this post: Stock Tires

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Not to go too far off topic, but my 2020 Limited with under 9000 miles was at the dealer today for its last “free” service. They tried to upsell me on tire rebalancing, engine treatment, and at least two other completely unnecessary services. But tire rebalancing, though? On a low mileage, almost-new car with no vibration or reason of any kind? Really?
You know it, pal.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
There are poor unfortunate souls who will have said YES. :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. Having owned dozens of cars over several decades this is my first experience with a bulging sidewall, per my prior post I have seen a few that have had this issue with Hankooks on this forum. Again, what a shame Toyota put such a subpar (per my prior reference to Tire Racks' customer ratings) tire on their top tier sedan, kind of goes against everything they have espoused.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,674 Posts

View attachment 384765 View attachment 384766

Side Note: Filled out the questionnaire on Tire Racks website citing what is important to me and the 2 recommendations were a Goodyear (no thanks for other reasons) and Yokohama Avid Ascend LX: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9&autoModel=Avalon+Hybrid&autoModClar=Limited

Looks like you hit a pothole causing the sidewall bubble damage. That's not really Toyota's fault.

I had a port-installed Pirelli P6 4-seasons on my VW Passat, which I hated also, and suffered a sidewall bubble when I hit a pothole at too high of a speed.

Tire choices?
Continental PureContact LS
Nokian TYRES ONE, with the aramid reinforced sidewalls so it has pothole protection.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like you hit a pothole causing the sidewall bubble damage. That's not really Toyota's fault.
Most likely a pothole of some sort yes, but I have other vehicles with 30 series sidewalls and am pretty careful not to mention that I cannot recollect any good whacks ever driving the Avalon.

Lastly, I wasn't saying the bulge was Toyota's fault, I am questioning their judgement in putting a bottom of the barrel quality (according to Tire Rack's customer review system) tire on the flagship sedan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most likely a pothole of some sort yes, but I have other vehicles with 30 series sidewalls and am pretty careful not to mention that I cannot recollect any good whacks ever driving the Avalon.

Lastly, I wasn't saying the bulge was Toyota's fault, I am questioning their judgement in putting a bottom of the barrel quality (according to Tire Rack's customer review system) tire on the flagship sedan.
Toyota had the choice to put any "top tier" tire they wanted to on their $40,000+ flagship sedan. Instead, they chose to put on tires you might get standard on only the cheapest econo-box.

Poor judgement indeed.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,674 Posts
Toyota had the choice to put any "top tier" tire they wanted to on their $40,000+ flagship sedan. Instead, they chose to put on tires you might get standard on only the cheapest econo-box.

Poor judgement indeed.
It could be worse, you could have gotten stuck with a premium Japanese tire, Bridgestone Turanza EL440

my $50k HiHy came with Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S and I ditched them before 10k miles

1 - 20 of 68 Posts