Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
'08 tacoma pre-runner
tacoma
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a few weekends ago i put a jardine cat back on, changed the diff oil to redline, and took off those beastly mudflap's to shorten them (havent put them back on) and i picked up about 2 mpg on average and my driving habits have changed. i dont use cruise control anymore, dont go above 3k around town but i do go somewhat quicker than the posted speed on the freeway and im still managing to get the 2 mpg more.

just wanted to share and possibly get a reason why its increased?? i drive 100 freeway miles a day and go maybe 80ish on the freeway, shouldnt that decrease my mileage? shouldnt really complain about it

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
How many mpg are you getting in city and on freeway?

·
'08 tacoma pre-runner
tacoma
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was getting for mixed driving close to 19 now im constantly getting 21+

·
Registered
2006 Silver Dbl Cab
647 Posts
Maybe due to it being spring and they aren't using winter grade gas anymore? Not sure if Arizona uses the winter formula, but it is possible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't laugh - it may be the mudflaps. When I first bought my Ranger 15 years ago I was checking mileage and then I installed a bugshield in the front and it took nearly 2 MPG off. After I broke 3 or 4 of them I finally just left it off and picked the mileage back up again. Our mudflaps are pretty solid so they may be adding drag just like flaps on an airplane.... I do have to admit that I bought the Taco in November and was pretty disappointed with the mileage, but it has picked up a couple MPG lately - I don't know if I should attribute that to warmer air and summer blend gas or the fact that I'm now over 6K on it and maybe it's just breaking in.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
I have been getting 21+ with my mud flaps. stock intake, and a TRD Catback...and I drive a DC V6...

Driving habits will impact your mileage far more than Redline oil ever will!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have been getting 21+ with my mud flaps. stock intake, and a TRD Catback...and I drive a DC V6...

Driving habits will impact your mileage far more than Redline oil ever will!

how come i can only get 14-15? :headbang:

granted, i have a little lift and 285/70/17's but still...

ETA: i don't drive like grandma, but i'm no bat outa hell either.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
how come i can only get 14-15? :headbang:

granted, i have a little lift and 285/70/17's but still...

ETA: i don't drive like grandma, but i'm no bat outa hell either.
I have zero lift now, and stock rims and tires. When I had my lift with Moto Metal's and 285 Cooper STT's I was getting 13-14 mpg.

I just find it extremely odd that the OP is excited about 21 mpg out of a 4 banger....:D

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
Yea, seems like he should be getting atleast 24-25 on freeway and around 20 in town.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,161 Posts
No, he's got a lift. That usually kills mileage (even for a 4 banger). When I had stock tires (dunlops), I was getting 20 mpg around town and 22-23 on the freeway. And you can't get any heavier stock truck than mine (w/ tow package even). Only thing that decreased my gas mileage was the bigger/heavier tires (with more aggressive tread) and extra weight of the tonneau. Now I get around 18 consistently.

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
Didn't read his sig, seeing it was lifted 3". That explains why he is only getting 19-21

·
'08 tacoma pre-runner
tacoma
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya i got a 3" with the moto metals (added weight) then 265 tires more friction and even more added weight. but even before eveything was done my 4 banger was getting not much better mileage. im just happy with whatever happened, that i was able to pick up those few mpg

·
Registered
2005 access 2wd
291 Posts
Mileage on my 4 cyl, access cab, 2wd has increased gradually from 22, 23.5, 24ish, 25ish to now 27ish. The 1996 with same equipment (but 300 # less) and same 26 EPA highway miles averaged 27.4 mpg over 90k miles I had it. Think the injectors on this one at 45k miles were fouled. Been running a steady diet of Exxon regular since buying it. All the major gas brands have to pass BMW's cleanliness at 100k miles test. Suspect the original owner who took very good care of it otherwise was using cheap gas.

MISS Toyota: MAKE IT SMALLER STUPID. This thing is the same size as the T100, which didn't sell too well. Let's have our Taco back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts