Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in the
Highlander 4th Gen - (XU70/2020-Present) Forum

but no answers. Thought I would try here.
Anyone's 2020 HiHy Lmtd's side view mirrors emit a tone when they (and the car) are getting hand washed? Are they just happy to be clean?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
On the outside with the car off?
I haven’t heard it on my platinum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
What do you do exactly to make the car make noise?

I have noticed that if I'm washing the car with the smart key fob in my pocket, getting the door handle wet makes it over-sensitive to the touch lock/unlock. So that's the beeping I hear sometimes. It got annoying enough that I now leave the fob in the garage during the car wash.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you do exactly to make the car make noise?

I have noticed that if I'm washing the car with the smart key fob in my pocket, getting the door handle wet makes it over-sensitive to the touch lock/unlock. So that's the beeping I hear sometimes. It got annoying enough that I now leave the fob in the garage during the car wash.
Fob is in the car, not my pocket.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Again, exactly what are you doing at the moment the car makes the noise? Just touching the mirror? Or touching something else, such as the door handle?

Since the key fob is inside the car, it could still be the smart key touch lock/unlock thing that I have experienced. However, the smart key lock will fail because the fob is inside the car. It won't let you lock the key inside the car, and emits an error tone instead.

I'd get the key fob away from the car the next time you wash it and see if your noises stop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can be touching and washing the door in the immediate area, or even rinsing the mirror and door with the hose.
I am not touching the "lock-unlock" arra.
As you said it is likely fob related and I will try moving the fob away.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Even hitting the door handle with water from the hose can trigger the touch lock/unlock. I bet that's what's happening.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Other possibility is when you've unlocked a door after you touched the handle while washing. The doors will lock on it's own, if not opened in a prescribed amount of time, and emit the chime coincident with you washing the mirrors.

This happened to me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doors are not locking as fob is in the car. I am not washing within a foot of the door handles when it happens

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
No, the car won't let you lock the key fob in the car. But you do still get a beeping noise (a slightly longer tone than usual) for the attempt.

I can't completely explain how the door handle knows you're touching it. I believe it's some sort of micro-scale electric field thing, and the water and/or the soap makes it think you're touching the handle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts