Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a pretty good snow for Dallas last night so I got to go out and play. I have never really used the 4wd on pavement being in Texas. Always out off the pavement and have never noticed this. Last night a couple times when I needed to shift into reverse the shift lever would stop at around the R but before it engaged. It went when I gave it more of a shove but still ahve never experienced the blockage feeeling. I know on one of these times I was in a parking lots doing donuts and had it in 2wd. Any ideas? Sure was nice how the taco with BFG AT's did in the snow, felt unstoppable. But again this was 6" of fresh snow in Texas.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
Sounds like you were out beating on the truck and it wasn't happy about it. If the problem went away then it probably isn't a problem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You didnt say whether your truck is an automatic or a standard. Beings Im in Colorado and have had the same problem I took it to the dealership and they said thats pretty much the norm for our trucks when the temperature dips down. At first I thought they were pulling my leg so I took it to an independent shop and he basically said the same thing. So, yes when it gets cold outside your truck isnt going to shift as smooth as it normally does. In the owners manual it addresses that exact problem.

If you cant find em.... grind em!!

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
I had this problem dozens of times with my old '98. The problem was always snow/slush underneath the truck jamming the shifter mechanism. Truck would go half way between neutral and reverse, and no further.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts