Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster

I am looking to hard wire my radar detector but I need some help.
I would like to hang it below the rear view mirror

How do I go about getting power to the device?

Is there a way I can disassemble the lights and tap into power up there?
Is there a fuse box somewhere inside that I can run the cable down into?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

· BeerSteakTxas
11,564 Posts
no offense but if you need instructions how to tab into 12V wire you better take it to the car audio shop.
all camrys got harness for auto mirror.
I got power off cigaret lighter and run extended factory cord under carpet and A-pillar cover.
I wanted to have independent power connection, plus my radar got built in fuse into power connector.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no offense but if you need instructions how to tab into 12V wire you better take it to the car audio shop.
all camrys got harness for auto mirror.
I got power off cigaret lighter and run extended factory cord under carpet and A-pillar cover.
I wanted to have independent power connection, plus my radar got built in fuse into power connector.
you are implying that one should already know how to do this
yet, there are many variables

like, where is the fuse box located inside the camry?
how do you disassemble the dome lights?

· BeerSteakTxas
11,564 Posts
you are implying that one should already know how to do this
yet, there are many variables

like, where is the fuse box located inside the camry?
how do you disassemble the dome lights?
you sure can't know everything, but if you have no experience I would leave it alone or take it to professionals.
if your radar comes with in-line fuse cord stick it into lighter- easiest, safest, quickest way. I don't know what Amperage and Wattage my radar drain so I played safe and easy.
if not, buy in-line fuse box, tab it into cord and connected to any 12+ source.
you can disassemble uderstereo draw and tab into lighter wires if you want no connector outside.
they will handle radar load with no problems.

· Registered
92 Posts
if i could just find instructions on how to disassemble the lights I would be able to do the rest
You just pull the lights straight down, and it will take a little force. It was on another tread, but once you pull it down, you will have access to the lights there for the radar. I would use the spare that would be for the auto-dimming mirror instead of the lights

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You just pull the lights straight down, and it will take a little force. It was on another tread, but once you pull it down, you will have access to the lights there for the radar. I would use the spare that would be for the auto-dimming mirror instead of the lights

tried pulling down until i felt like the plastic was going to snap in half

..still no dice :disappoin

· Registered
271 Posts
If you want to access the wire/connector for the auto dimming mirror you don't have to pull down the light console. Just reach up between the headliner and the top of the windshield, right behind the rearview mirror and feel around for the wire/connector. It is taped to the underside of the headliner. Just pull up the tape and pull the wire/connector down and tap into those wires. When finished put the wires/connectors back up in the headliner. It is a good idea to put foam tape around the connectors to prevent and rattles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.