Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

Since I have made a couple of these tip posts in response to posters with varying levels of information contained within, I decided to put all the relevant information for these swaps in one place.

These tips should apply to all 2000-2008 VVT-i 1ZZFE engines for Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Celica, MR2, and Chevrolet Prizm owners. If a 1998-1999 Corolla or Prizm owner can find a correct trim specific wiring harness and ECU from a 2000-2002 VVT-i model, these tips will also apply to their engine swap.

Disclaimer: Myself or ToyotaNation are not responsible for any damage, loss, or injury that may result from use of this information. All vehicles should be diagnosed and repaired by qualified technicians. Proceed with this using this information at your own risk.

Here goes:

All 2000-2008 1ZZFE Corolla, Prizm, Matrix, or Pontiac Vibe long blocks are the same. The 2000-2005 Celica and MR-2/MR-S block uses a center support bearing on the passenger axle that the Corolla, Prizm, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe doesn't. As a result, the Corolla, Prizm, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe blocks are missing the holes, but have the bosses for tapping the holes. You need to drill and tap the holes if you want to use a Corolla, Prizm, Matrix, or Pontiac Vibe engine in a Celica or MR-2.

The only real differences between long blocks are external. The 1ZZFE can be grouped into 5 engine swap groups:

1. 1998-1999 Corolla/Chevrolet Prizm non VVT-i 1ZZFE

2. 2000-2002 Corolla/Chevrolet Prizm VVT-i 1ZZFE

3. 2000-2005 Celica/MR-2 VVT-i 1ZZFE

4. 2003-2004 Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe VVT-i cable throttle 1ZZFE

5. 2005-2008 Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe VVT-i DBW throttle 1ZZFE

The differences are mainly centered on:

1. Older 1 wire knock sensors of the 2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm and 2000-2005 Celica/MR2 engines vs. the new 2 wire sensors of the 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe.

2. Different intake manifolds between the 1998-2000 Corolla/Prizm, 2000-2005 Celica, 2000-2005 MR2, 2003-2004 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe with cable throttle, and 2005-2008 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe with DBW throttle. Since the intake manifolds are different, all of the throttle bodies, hoses, VSVs, brackets, and electronics are completely different. All this means is when going with an engine swap other than a direct replacement from the same type of car, you will need to reuse your original manifold and associated parts.

3. The exhaust manifolds also have different sensor types. It is best to just reuse your original manifold and sensor as well unless you have a 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe in which case you will need to only swap the sensor if using an engine within that group.

Note: If you go with the 2000-2002 engines, you won't need new pistons, but will need to drill them as nearly all of them either are or will be severe oil burners at some point. That requires tear down complete with extensive cleaning and drilling of the old pistons, new rings, bearings, head gasket, external gaskets, oil pan reseal, timing cover reseal, honing, etc. It isn't really worth the work in my opinion.

Note: I would highly recommend going with a newer 2005-2008 1ZZFE (preferably a 2007 or 2008) to get a low mileage and updated unit!

On any engine swap, while the engine is out I recommend the following parts to be replaced/resealed:

Front pump seal on the transmission (if automatic transmission)
Clutch kit (if manual transmission) -
Rear main seal (Got a Japanese made Stone in a Felpro box before)
Timing chain tensioner o-ring
Front crank seal (OEM Toyota or Napa Altrom)
Oil pan reseal (Black Toyota FIPG, Hondabond, Yamabond, Permatex Ultra Black or Ultra Gray RTV)
Timing cover reseal (Black Toyota FIPG, Hondabond, Yamabond, Permatex Ultra Black or Ultra Gray RTV)
Valve cover gasket - http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9th-gen-corolla-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/955337-diy-2003-2008-corolla-matrix-pontiac-vibe-1zzfe-valve-cover-replacement-w-pics.html
Water pump (OEM Toyota or Aisin only)
Thermostat (OEM Toyota only)
Spark plugs - http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9th-gen-corolla-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/802930-diy-2005-2006-corolla-xrs-2003-2006-matrix-xrs-vibe-gt-spark-plug-replacement.html
Intake manifold gasket and Throttle body gasket (updated intake manifold part number for plastic manifold engines is 17171-22060) - http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9th-gen-corolla-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/530729-diy-2003-2004-corolla-matrix-vibe-tb-iacv-intake-clean-replace-gaskets.html
PCV Valve - http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9th-gen-corolla-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/430566-diy-2003-2008-corolla-matrix-pontiac-vibe-pcv-valve-replacement-pics.html

Here are the general rules for the swaps:

2000-2008 Corolla/Prizm/Celica/MR-2/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe VVT-i Engine into a 1998-1998 non VVT-i Corolla/Prizm:

Non-direct swap - If the new engine is not a 2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm engine and has intake and exhaust manifolds, they will need to be swapped with the original manifolds from the 1998-1999 engine. If the new engine is not a 2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm or 2000-2005 Celica/MR-2 the knock sensor will also need to be swapped. You will also need to swap the front engine mount bracket (bolts engine to passenger side area) if not using a 2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm as I believe they are different. Additionally you will need to find and swap the correct ECU and wiring harness from a similar trim 2000-2002 vehicle:

1. 1998-1999 Corolla VE/CE/LE 5 Speed manual need an ECU and wiring harness from a 2000-2002 VE/CE/LE/S 5 speed manual.

2. 1998-1999 VE/CE with 3 speed auto need an ECU and wiring harness from a 2000-2002 VE/CE with 3 speed auto transmission.

3. 1998-1999 LE with 4 speed auto need an ECU and wiring harness from a 2000-2002 LE/S with 4 speed auto.

4. If you want to convert a 1998-1999 VE/CE with 3 speed auto to 4 speed auto, you will need to swap the ECU, wiring harness, and transmission from a 2000-2002 LE/S with 4 speed auto.

5. If you want to convert a 1998-1999 Corolla LE with 4 speed auto to 3 speed auto, you will need to swap the ECU, wiring harness, and transmission from a 2000-2002 VE/CE with 3 speed auto.

2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm engine in a 2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm:

Direct swap - If the engine has intake and exhaust manifolds they can be used with the engine. Your wiring harness will be exactly the same. So if the engine has a good harness attached, it can also be used. If the replacement engine is used, it is recommended to drill the pistons/rebuild the engine to fix oil consumption problems or the prevent it from becoming an oil burner, prior to installing.

2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm engine in a 2003-2008 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe:

Almost direct swap - If the engine has an intake and exhaust manifolds, they will need to be swapped with the original manifolds from the 2003-2004 engine. Also the knock sensor in the block is not the same (1 wire vs. 2 wire for 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix/Pontiac Vibe) and will need to be swapped from the 2003-2008 if it is used. You will also need to swap the front engine mount bracket (bolts engine to passenger side area) from the original 2003-2008 engine as I believe they are different. The wiring harness is different and the original will also need to be swapped if the engine came with one. If the replacement engine is used, it is recommended to drill the pistons/rebuild the engine to fix oil consumption problems or the prevent it from becoming an oil burner, prior to installing.

2003-2008 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe engine in a 2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm:

Almost direct swap - If the engine has an intake and exhaust manifolds, they will need to be swapped with the original manifolds from the 2000-2002 engine. Also the knock sensor in the block is not the same (1 wire for 8th Gen vs. 2 wire for 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix/Pontiac Vibe) and will need to be swapped from the 2000-2002 if it is used. You will also need to swap the front engine mount bracket (bolts engine to passenger side area) from with original 2000-2002 as I believe they are different. The wiring harness is different and the original will also need to be swapped if the engine came with one.

2000-2005 Celica/MR2 engine in a 2000-2008 Corolla/Prizm/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe:

Almost direct swap - If the engine has an intake and exhaust manifolds, they will need to be swapped with the original manifolds from the 2000-2008 Corolla/Prizm/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe you are doing the swap into. Also the knock sensor in the block will need to be swapped from original 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, or Pontiac Vibe engine if swapping into one (2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm use the same sensor as the Celica/MR-2). You will also need to swap the front engine mount bracket (bolts engine to passenger side area) if you have a 2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm as I believe they are different. The wiring harness is different and the original will also need to be swapped if the engine came with one. If the replacement engine is a used engine from a 2000-2002 model, it is recommended to drill the pistons/rebuild the engine to fix oil consumption problems or the prevent it from becoming an oil burner, prior to installing.

2000-2005 Celica/MR2 engine in a 2000-2005 Celica/MR2:

Direct swap - If the engine has intake and exhaust manifolds they can be used with the engine. Your wiring harness will be exactly the same. So if the engine has a good harness attached, it can also be used. If the replacement engine is used from a 2000-2002 model, it is recommended to drill the pistons/rebuild the engine to fix oil consumption problems or the prevent it from becoming an oil burner, prior to installing.

2000-2008 Corolla/Prizm/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe engine in a 2000-2005 Celica/MR2:

Almost direct swap - If the engine has an intake and exhaust manifolds, they will need to be swapped with the original manifolds from the 2000-2005 Celica or MR2 you are swapping into. Also the knock sensor in the block is will need to be swapped if using a 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, or Pontiac Vibe engine (2000-2002 Corolla/Prizm is the same). You will also need to swap the front engine mount bracket (bolts engine to passenger side area) if the new engine came from a 2000-2002 Prizm as I believe they are different. The wiring harness is different and the original will also need to be swapped if the engine came with one. The Celica/MR2 engines also uses a center support bearing on the passenger axle that the Corolla, Prizm, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe doesn't. As a result, the Corolla, Prizm, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe blocks are missing the holes, but has the bosses for tapping the holes. You need to drill and tap the holes if you want to use a Corolla, Prizm, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe engine in a 2000-2005 Celica/MR-2. If the replacement engine is used from a 2000-2002 model, it is recommended to drill the pistons/rebuild the engine to fix oil consumption problems or the prevent it from becoming an oil burner, prior to installing.

2003-2004 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe engine in a 2003-2004 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe:

Direct swap - If the engine has intake and exhaust manifolds they can be used with the engine. Your wiring harness will be exactly the same. So if the engine has a good harness attached, it can also be used.

2003-2004 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe engine in a 2005-2008 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe:

Almost direct swap - If the engine has an intake manifold it will need to be swapped with the original manifold from the 2005-2008 engine. Also the sensor in the exhaust manifold is not the same and will need to be swapped from the 2005-2008 if it is used. The wiring harness is different and the original will need to be swapped if the engine came with one.

2005-2008 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe engine in a 2003-2004 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe:

Almost direct swap - If the engine has an intake manifold it will need to be swapped with the original manifold from the 2003-2004 engine. Also the sensor in the exhaust manifold is not the same and will need to be swapped from the 2003-2004 if it is used. The wiring harness is also different and the original will also need to be swapped if the engine came with one.

2005-2008 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe engine in a 2005-2008 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe:

Direct swap - If the engine has intake and exhaust manifolds they can be used with the engine. Your wiring harness will be exactly the same. So if the engine has a good harness attached, it can also be used.

For the swap itself I recommend the following BASIC tips. These tips are not a replacement for the in depth job of removing the engine:

1. I would remove the hood from the vehicle. The extra space is definitely worth it.

2. I would only pull the engine vs. the engine and transmission if automatic. If manual transmission, I would probably consider pulling both as getting the splines lined up will be a bit more difficult, though not impossible.

3. You really don't have to pull any axles, but pulling the passenger axle makes it much easier. For that you will need a 30mm (factory nut) or 32mm (aftermarket axle) to remove the axle nut and a 17mm to remove the lower ball joint mounting bolts/nuts and outer tie-rod from the knuckle. Then you can use tap the axle out of the hub and remove it the splines from the hub. Finally you can remove the axle from the transmission. If you have a 2000-2005 Celica, the procedure is similar except you have to remove the bolt and snap ring from the bearing housing and remove the axle from the transmission. This should be similar for the 2000-2005 MR-2.

4. Remove the A/C compressor and power steering pump from the engine and bungee cord them out of the way.

5. Remove the O2 sensor from the manifold and then the exhaust downpipe from the manifold.

6. I recommend pulling the engine with the harness attached to it. That means disassembling the fuse box to take out the connectors, removing the lower dash trim on the passenger side (2003-2008 Corolla/Matrix/Vibe), center console (2000-2002 Corolla), or bracket (2000-2005 Celica) to unplug and push out the ECU harness, and unplugging any grounds or transmission connectors that attach anywhere but the engine. It's pretty easy to do both.

Note: I don't know how the ECU in an MR-2 comes out. I have never done a swap on one.

7. The only mount securing the engine is the front engine mount. The other mounts are all for the transmission.

8. Then when you have the new engine you can swap over the manifolds, gaskets, seals, knock sensors, water pump, harness, etc. and literally just bolt it in. .

Check ebay and local junkyards for good used engines. I really like eBay for wrecking yard parts as the warranty protection from paypal is really good and the selection is downright amazing. Just search "2008 Corolla Engine" "2003 Matrix Engine" "2006 Pontiac Vibe Engine" or some other similar type term to find your engines.

Hope this helps.

If you have updates or concerns feel free to shoot me a PM. I will add this to the DIY sticky.

·
Mod. Break. Fix. Repeat.
2001 Corolla CE
299 Posts
Does an 05-08 Corolla 1ZZFE engine address the oil consumption issue a 00-02 would have? For instance, if I were to put a low mileage 1ZZFE from an 07 or 08 Corolla into my 01, I would not have to worry about pulling, cleaning, and drilling extra oiling holes in the pistons?

·
TWO-VEE-ZED
98 Corolla Conquest
57 Posts
All those horizontal swaps are fine and dandy. But, is there anyone out there swapping a '98 - 2000 Corolla engine out with a '98 - '99 Camry engine?
From what I've read, fitting a Camry engine in an AE110 is possible, but requires work on the engine/trans mounts, and is not a bolt-on affair.
A better proposition would be a black or silver top 20V, or a "Frankenstein's monster" 7A-FE.

·
FreeFloRolla
98 Toyota Corolla
3 Posts
From what I've read, fitting a Camry engine in an AE110 is possible, but requires work on the engine/trans mounts, and is not a bolt-on affair.
A better proposition would be a black or silver top 20V, or a "Frankenstein's monster" 7A-FE.
Swapping for a 7A-FE wouldn't even make sense as far as a gain in over all power. My current engine with high-flow TRD air intake w/K&M filter, OBX 2.25 plumbing and Borla muffler is giving me about 129-132HP. And those are minor upgrades. I'm not worried about the engine/trans mount obstacle(s) that can be overcome with an experience welder/fabricator. I'm just interested in the nitty gritty of it all. I'm sure adding a turbo can make the current engine perform well enough but I would prefer a (quicker response) naturally aspirated aspect. The way that 2.2 liter carries a Camry which is significantly heavier than a Corolla of the same model would be nice indeed. Add a few performance tweak and you have a worthy Corolla.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts