Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Garmin and I would like to hardwire it. Has anyone here done it? I need to read up more on it but I think I read that it takes 5 volts. If anyone has done it can you post some pics and or give some details about what you did?

Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well you already have to 12v outlets in the car... what you could do if you really wanted to would be to remove the outlet in the lower console and wire another one to the back of it and leave it under the dash and just use the cable you have already have...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think I asked my question correctly. What I was trying to ask was if the factory power cord converts my 12v to 5v for the garmin? In that case I should be able to tap into the fuse box and add a 12v outlet down there. Then I could run a cable down the pillar into it correct?

The only problem with that is there is a box on the power cord (im guessing a converter if the above mentioned theory is correct) that I would need to hide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes you could add a 12v outlet anywhere and plug the garmin cord into and it would be just fine... or you could get one of the hardwire kits and eliminate the possibility of the cigarette plug coming loose...

P

·
0 Posts
I dont think I asked my question correctly. What I was trying to ask was if the factory power cord converts my 12v to 5v for the garmin? In that case I should be able to tap into the fuse box and add a 12v outlet down there. Then I could run a cable down the pillar into it correct?

The only problem with that is there is a box on the power cord (im guessing a converter if the above mentioned theory is correct) that I would need to hide.
That is the traffic receiver. If you bought the 265WT that unit comes with free lifetime traffic updates, the chunky black thing inline on the power cable if the FM receiver used to get the traffic data.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Unbelievable......................

P

·
0 Posts
I did get the one with the traffic. So what you are saying is if I dont use that cord I wont get that?
Yes, traffic signals are only received when you are connected to a 12v power source using the supplied FM receiver/power cable.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
try to take the power from your cig lighter fuse output (as it was designed for a bit of extra load).

You need the whole cord as the cigarette lighter end has the adapter/converter in in it (obviously).
so then, solder wires to your power cord of the garmin (the cig lighter end) for the + and - . Otherwise, buy a female cig outlet and use the new socket to solder wires to and hide the connection somewhere (under the dash)?. Make sure the cig lighter is not on 'constant power', meaning that power is shut off when you remove the keys. I think our camrys are not given constant power to the cig lighters.

good luck.

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
Correct no constant power once the ignition is off..but you'll probably still have to turn the unit off manually..atleast i do...but mine isn't hard wired. Just plugs into the cig lighter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Or you could do what I did... tapped into the wires going to the power outlet in the cubby and ran the wires to the glove box where I have a 3 port power outlet. The Garmin stays plugged in while in the glove box. I leave it plugged in when in use, and the cord just sticks out the top of the closed glove box.

No soldering and no buying a new charging cable. And with wire taps, it's darn simple.

b

1 - 20 of 20 Posts