Toyota Nation Forum banner

harmonic balancer question.

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  chris_agu28 
#1 · (Edited)
New to the forum. I trying to help a girl fix her car. Hott girl too. She says it keeps dying so when I looked at it, It was the harmonic balancer wobbling. The inner wheel that is. and the belt attached to it is connect to the alternator. Well it is not spin the Alt. well and it cause the battery to keep losing the charge and thus the car is not running right.

Well looking for the part has been not so well. NOBODY has this part. But alot of people have the 93 one. Well car is 95. I know the 95 is the 5E-FE. Can I use one off a 93 since it is the same engine cause they both are 1.5 liter or can I not use it cause her car is the year they started the DOHC engines.

I hope you guys can help me out. I personally own a honda del sol and I am kinda new to toyota.

#4 ·
I called the dealer and it was a no go.
I found the part and they are pulling it off for me.
Found it at a pick you pull and they offered to pull it for me.

If you are referring to the crank pulley that drives the alternator & water pump, the 3ee from 91-94 Tercel, 5efe from 92-94 Paseo, and the one on my 95 Tercel 5efe DIS is the same. Not sure about 95-99 Paseo, but I would venture to say they are all the same.

Personally I would try to get one from a u-pull junkyard. Need a 19mm socket & breaker bar, a BFS (Big F______ Screwdriver), some way to keep the engine from rotating (BFS thru the webs of the pulley to the oil pan flange?), and maybe a hammer just slightly rap the pulley to get it off. It's not pressed on, and they usually come off pretty easy.

So how long would it aprox take for this pulley to come off and I all the tools. I am just curious of how long it will take for this to be done.

Also is the pulley a two part, cause looking at how the pulley is, The outside is just fine but the inside in has wobbling or bent one of the two.

Any other install notes I need to know? Thanks guys, You have been a big help. :D

#3 ·
If you are referring to the crank pulley that drives the alternator & water pump, the 3ee from 91-94 Tercel, 5efe from 92-94 Paseo, and the one on my 95 Tercel 5efe DIS is the same. Not sure about 95-99 Paseo, but I would venture to say they are all the same.

Personally I would try to get one from a u-pull junkyard. Need a 19mm socket & breaker bar, a BFS (Big F______ Screwdriver), some way to keep the engine from rotating (BFS thru the webs of the pulley to the oil pan flange?), and maybe a hammer just slightly rap the pulley to get it off. It's not pressed on, and they usually come off pretty easy.

#5 ·
Shouldn't be long at all. I was pretty sure the outer pulley drives just the A/C compressor and the power steering. It is held to the larger inner pulley by 4 12mm bolts. If it is indeed just the outer pulley, you don't even need to take off the inner pulley by removing the 19mm bolt from the center. In either case, you will need to loosen the belt via the tensioner, which is under the power steering pump. You prolly need a 12mm or 14mm wrench for that. If it's the inner pulley, you'll need to loosen the alternator which is probably a 14mm wrench or ratchet/socket.

Definitely bring a decent assortment of tools other than those listed, just in case.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help, It is the inner pulley I am not so lucky have it be the outer one.

One more question.
What would cause it to be spinning funny? like is warped and does not spin the alternator but the outside is perfectly straight and spins the powersteering and the a/c just fine. Could it be the crankshaft might have been bent or would it be just the pulley?

I got the tools so I do appreciate you guys helping me out and telling me this.

#7 ·
The inner pulley serves as a pulley and a harmonic damper. If you look closely, there is a thin strip of rubber that holds the ribbed pulley section to the hub. Probably what has happened is the rubber has sheared, causing the pulley section to rotate relative to the crank and wobble. The outer pulley driving the A/C & PS pump is still bolted to the hub by the 4 bolts, which is still affixed to the crank, hence no wobbling going on there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.