Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has put new transmission fluid in their trucks yet. I was told by the dealer that these auto tranny's take a special type of fluid (WS-world standard) and is not compatable with any other kind of fluid. From what they say this WS fluid has a lower viscosity than other fluids. I wanted to change all of the fluids over to amsoil products (already did the oil and filter), but apparently the transmission is sealed and the fluid never needs replacing. I am not real crazy about the fluids put in at the factory. I know I can change out the differential fluids. If anybody has changed the tranny fluid, what kind did you use and has there been any problems associated with it? Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Listen to the dealer on this one, leave in the TYPE-WS fluid its the only fluid that is "approved" for the 5-speed. You can check and flush the fluid, but will have to put the WS fluid back in.

·
Registered
947 Posts
clfx34 said:
I was wondering if anybody has put new transmission fluid in their trucks yet. I was told by the dealer that these auto tranny's take a special type of fluid (WS-world standard) and is not compatable with any other kind of fluid. From what they say this WS fluid has a lower viscosity than other fluids. I wanted to change all of the fluids over to amsoil products (already did the oil and filter), but apparently the transmission is sealed and the fluid never needs replacing. I am not real crazy about the fluids put in at the factory. I know I can change out the differential fluids. If anybody has changed the tranny fluid, what kind did you use and has there been any problems associated with it? Thanks!
I wouldn't touch the tranny fluid, especially if you have an auto. I too was going full synthetic all around, until I ran into the WS tranny fluid thing. Read your manual, it specifically states to use only it, or slippage and damage can occur. Sooo...I trotted on down to the Amsoil dealer, and Royal Purple dudes, both told me their tranny fluids don't meet Toyota's specs, as far as the WS is concerned. No biggie to me, looked like a bitch to change out anyway. My wife had a Rav4 that was the same way, never had a problem.

Now, I have Royal Purple in my diff and engine only.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.