Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the springs/shocks on my '96 Avy (325K+ miles) soon, on all four corners. I'd really prefer to find some good quality "quick struts" but evidently Monroe and KYB are no longer supplying them. However I found these on eBay, made by a company called "Detroit Axle":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Front-Strut-Coil-Spring-Assembly-Set-for-1995-1996-Toyota-Avalon/152915787372?fits=Year:1996|Model:Avalon|Make:Toyota&epid=17015249909&hash=item239a7dbe6c:g:Vr0AAOSwNMVajEA3:rk:6:pf:0#rwid

The price is right, they come with a 10-year warranty and the seller has a very good history. I'm thinking they're worth a try but would like to know if anybody here has experience with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry don't have an answer but also wanted to know if there any decent quality quick struts. Most seem poor quality and sketchy. Like Gabriel struts anyone try those?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,245 Posts
You can maybe take a chance with 1997 Avalon parts as those apparently are still in supply. I doubt there is any difference in suspension between 1996 and 1997 but I can't say for sure.
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/271679
I suggest looking at non-oem aftermarket performance suspension and seeing if they have the same part number for a 1996+ Avalon. If they have the same part number, then a 1997 Avalon Monroe Quick-Strut might fit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Regarding Monroe QuickStruts

I've replaced struts (both front and rear) on about 4 Gen 1 Avalons. The Monroes work well, but your butt will be dragging after replacing all four in one Saturday afternoon.

As of today, March 4, 2019, the 271-68x family of struts that fit Gen 1 are still sold at retail. I don't believe that Monroe has discontinued them.

Where did you hear that they are discontinued?

Jim Olson
Indianapolis, IN

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jim,

I'd like to use Monroe if possible, but I'm specifically looking for the "Quick Struts" which come preassembled with new springs and mounts. As far as I can tell, most manufacturers have stopped producing them for the first-gen Avalon. I do have a good quality spring compressor but I'd still like to avoid that butt-dragging.

If you know of a source for them, by all means please post a link!

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,245 Posts
Apparently the 1996 was a "special" year but my bet is the parts are still compatible. Take a chance and get it done or don't and waste time for everyone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ah, you might be correct about that.

I've mostly stopped working on 1995-1997 Avalons because there are so many 1998s and 1999s to be had on Craigslist at low price. I buy them and fix them up for my kids.

I recall now that I did do struts on a 1995 Avalon and they were different than the QuickStruts for the 98/99 cars that I am familiar with.

I never met a Gen 1 Avalon older than 140k miles whose struts didn't rattle. I've always wondered who was Toyota's vendor for those.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Been shopping at shox.com since my racing days a decade ago....and using Tokico struts on my '96 about that long with hpaay results. A little stiffer than OE but just fine for both street and spirited driving.

Tokico at shox.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would use the Detroit Axle struts all the way around to save money and time. If time and money are no option, I would use KYBs, but then you have to build all four strut assemblies from parts. I installed Gabriels (quick struts in rear, Gabriel shocks plus other after market brand parts in front) last summer and the ride is a little softer than I would like ideally, even if it is generally ok. From having installed KYBs on my Corolla, I know they give a tighter/firmer ride.

I didn't know about these Detroit Axle quick struts last summer. Otherwise I would have used them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts