Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
03 Corolla CE 110k+
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cutting Springs

I thought cutting springs would be a good idea- but someone informed me that it could kill my struts, plus it is totally unsafe and I believe illegal in some places.

It'd be a lot better to just buy lowering springs or new coil overs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

coilovers can go upto 500-2000 cutting is free :p >:D i don't know how bad it would be i think it would be good for the car actually tbh ???!!?

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
601 Posts
uh...........good for the car?

No.

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Matrix
1,423 Posts
You're going to be effectively reducing the spring rate on a car that's already pretty "floaty boaty"...it's going to drive horribly! If you really want to lower your car without affecting the ride quality, I would get lowering springs or coilovers. The other thing about cutting the springs is that the angle at which the spring contacts the upper and lower insulators will be higher and it will eat through the insulators.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My $0.02:

This is incorrect:

"effectively reducing the spring rate"

Look up the formula for spring rate and you'll find you will INCREASE the spring rate because you have fewer active coils!

You might need a dial caliper or micrometer to get OEM spring wire thickness OR somewhere (TN?) there will be a OEM spring rate figure.

A BTDT, I cut springs on a Scirocco a LONG time ago to get it down to OEM ride height with Bilstein sport front struts. I had to also sag the top coil to get it down for reduced ride height. Mfr'd springs usually have a closed and possibly ground bottom/top coil. Heating a steel coil spring -will- change the temper. Its left to OP to figure out if that's a good thing or not.
Rear Bilstein sport shocks had adjustable perch, so cutting back there needed!

If you live in Rust Belt where roads can resemble Baghdad, its not a real good move and your "stance" can cause secondary results, like decreased top mount bearing life. It'd perhaps be better to buy used set of aftermarket springs or go coil overs if you really want to slam? Did the "S" models have different spring rates?

HTH,

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
My $0.02:

This is incorrect:

Look up the formula for spring rate and you'll find you will INCREASE the spring rate because you have fewer active coils!

You might need a dial caliper or micrometer to get OEM spring wire thickness OR somewhere (TN?) there will be a OEM spring rate figure.

A BTDT, I cut springs on a Scirocco a LONG time ago to get it down to OEM ride height with Bilstein sport front struts. I had to also sag the top coil to get it down for reduced ride height. Mfr'd springs usually have a closed and possibly ground bottom/top coil. Heating a steel coil spring -will- change the temper. Its left to OP to figure out if that's a good thing or not.

If you live in Rust Belt where roads can resemble Baghdad, its not a real good move and your "stance" can cause secondary results, like decreased top mount bearing life. It'd perhaps be better to buy used set of aftermarket springs or go coil overs if you really want to slam? Did the "S" models have different spring rates?

HTH,
Briand_oh, I was about to suggest to the OP to get OEM coils. See, I was notified that you replied to this thread and you asked about the S at the end of your post- no, the S had the same rate as all the others, now the XRS, sat somewhat lower, and you can get lower OEM coils, or get them from RockAuto. I'd highly recommend he takes that approach.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
03 Corolla CE 110k+
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My $0.02:

This is incorrect:

HTH,

Im in florida i was just thinking maybe a inch or 1 and half ,.... it seems too high..

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
26 Posts
I'm on Megan Racing lowering springs and I've thought about cutting them.. like one coil off on each. I haven't gotten around to actually doing it.. I wouldn't cut your stock springs. But you might want to pick up a set of lowering springs and if you don't like them the cut them up lol, but save your stock set as a *just in case*

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.