Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Camry with a 5SFE... with a head gasket leak, Now i went to the Dealer where I use to work and purchase a Water pump, thermostat, Timing Belt, New plugs cam,and crank seals, Oil pump oring, and oil pump seal... Now if it was your car would you use the Blue Devil head gasket sealant, I don't have a lot of money to have it fix right now... it only has 150xxx as far as miles go... So if anyone out there has ever used this stuff please let me know what you think... Many people,(Techs have told me the stuff is good, and many told me not to use it.. I just don't know.:confused:

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Things like that are never guaranteed to work. Thats why some poeople say they're great and others say it sucks. The solution is always variable.

I don't really know if these products cause adverse effects, but I'm sure they could...

I would tear into it and bang it out in a day or two if you've got the time.

Grab the FSM and you'll be done in no time.

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Its usually is a good idea to use the head gasket that is required for your motor.

Depending on the production code of the
engine stamped on the front of the cylinder
head, two types of head gaskets are used.
Use a composite type Part #11115574081,
if the engine number is lower than
5985000. Use a metal type (MLS), Part
#1111574120, if the engine number is
5985000 or higher. It is important to use
the correct style head gasket in attempts to
seal this type of coolant leakage. The
mounting bolt torque for both style gaskets
is the same, 36 ft/lbs, plus an additional 90°
turn.

Head Gasket
==Composite Type== 11115-74080
==Metal Type== 11115-74120
Valve Grind Gasket Set - Federal Spec.
==Composite Type== 04112-74580
==Metal Type== 04112-74581
Valve Grind Gasket Set - California Spec.
==Composite Type==04112-74600
==Metal Type== 04112-74601
Cylinder Head - Federal Spec. = 11101-09050
Cylinder Head - California Spec. = 11101-09060

Reference :

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3345881

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Miracle sealers rarely ever work miracles. They are temporary "fixes" at the very best.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It depends, I've used sealer before, and if the situation calls for it I'll use it again, however it is NOT a fix, it will only delay the damage, and leaves the cooling system in poor condition, In my opinion sure go ahead and use it ONLY if you need a week or two to find a new car and plan on scrapping/parting the current one.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Even though Blur Devil is amazing stuff, I would only use it if its your last option. Its about 60$ and for that type of dough you might as well buy a headgasket kit and fix it if you plan to keep the car.

If your doing the timing belt, the head gasket is not that much more work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think I'll go ahead and just fix it right so I will not have to deal with it again, I was a Toyota Parts Rep for 10years, I should know better... I know to many good Toyota Techs to not fix it right... Thanks to everyone for the input...

Thanks Again..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts