2019 Toyota Highlander Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me: 2019 Highlander Limited in White with the 19" Chrometec wheels
Love the ride, don't love the wheels.

Here are the facts I know:
  • You should not try to remove the Chrometec wheel covers - really bad idea
  • Not everyone likes the way they look or clean-up
I'm considering trying to paint mine black. I did this with my '99 Landcruiser and it worked great (but that was on nicked up steel rims).
Given that Chrometec is more plastic-like, should I look for an all-purpose spray paint and start with a primer? Other ideas.

If you've successfully painted yours - I want to see pictures please!

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,232 Posts
1TG..Welcome! Sometime ago painting/coating ctecs was talked about, but don't recall outcome ? Did u try..advanced search..key words..chromtec wheels ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
My understanding is that painting the Toyota version of the ChromeTec wheels will not be pleasant. The way the coating flakes off will almost guarantee that once prepped and painted you'll still be looking at flake and peel problems. I haven't seen anything about completely removing the plating which is really the only way to be sure of no further peeling. One more reason we went for our '17 XLE way back when. And I like the 18" wheels better to boot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1TG..Welcome! Sometime ago painting/coating ctecs was talked about, but don't recall outcome ? Did u try..advanced search..key words..chromtec wheels ?
Yes tried search of course - mainly talk about how to remove the Chrometec.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My understanding is that painting the Toyota version of the ChromeTec wheels will not be pleasant. The way the coating flakes off will almost guarantee that once prepped and painted you'll still be looking at flake and peel problems. I haven't seen anything about completely removing the plating which is really the only way to be sure of no further peeling. One more reason we went for our '17 XLE way back when. And I like the 18" wheels better to boot.
Most certainly removing them isn't an option. I found that Chevy has their own version of Chrometec and this guy tried to take it apart. Let's just say some of his tools involve a blow torch and pry bar. No thanks.

·
Limited
1,736 Posts
^ damn, beat me to posting that up.

My understanding is that painting the Toyota version of the ChromeTec wheels will not be pleasant.
Where do you get your "understanding" from? Painting a plastic hubcap, albeit these chromtec's are permanently affixed to an aluminum wheel, hasn't changed. Sand, fill, sand, primer, paint, clear, and done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I plasti-dipped my steel wheels on my tacoma, this is the 3rd year they've been on, been touched up every spring , but at 6 bucks a can, this stuff might last forever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These Chrometec wheels will likely become my "winter tire wheels" and eventually I'll buy nice ones for my summer/highway tires. Might be a worthy sacrifice of the Chromatec to pain them and just see what happens. I'll post back here if I take the leap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went for it today and painted mine. Cleaned, taped, primed, then two coats of gloss black. I will post more photos once I can get it outside and washed (it's snowy here).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You bet. Going to let it dry with the 2 coats until tomorrow afternoon.

Dear Toyota, we love your cars but hate these wheels. Especially on a $50K Limited trim. I mean Please.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finished. Just need to wash it at some point. I'm happy with how they turned out.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,232 Posts
Ok, wheels getting the so called "murdered look" lol! Curious...what kind of finish paint did u use ? Tnx

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,232 Posts
I told dealer if he wanted to sell the Limited I wanted he would exchange the wheels for wheels on an SE... He did it.
Considering # of times you've said same, I get it. But, this thread is about painting, do u get that ? Just sayin. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Honestly i like this more than i thought i would.
Makes the Chrometecs look a lot more rugged than they do normally. Especially if you have curb damage on those plastic caps they look like crap really quick. Will be shaving down some of the damage on mine to smooth it out and maybe painting them like yours when it warms up.

Although i will probably go with plastidip and a few good layers of the glossifier.

Did that we my previous Honda grill and it held up shockingly well. And didn't go heavy on the plastidip gloss stuff. If you do a few more coats i think it would be even more shiny so you won't have that unfinished primer flat look.

That's after years of abuse without redoing it once. (6 years i think i was on... had the car for 8 years)

Just an idea if you don't want to go with actual paint which is permanent and also more dangerous in contaminating other areas around the chrometec wheel cover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts