Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It's Soo Hoo like Yoo Hoo
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Genuine-TRD-Leather-Gear-Shift-Knob-Toyota-Lexus-IS-AUS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33703QQihZ009QQitemZ190074133095QQrdZ1

hey guys i was bored so i decided to look on ebay for random stuff.. searched TRD and came up with this nice TRD shift knob but it says only for the gate-type auto trannys. has anyone tried using one of these on an 05/06 regular gate transmissions? is it even possible? i know the OD button is on the shifter but that can always be relocated. only problem i would imagine is the shift button. just wondering if anyone had an idea how to get around that.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
You can't use that. The only kinds of shifters that look like that that can be used are the "push-down" kind.

·
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the clarification white :) in light of this, now i have a new question.. who has aftermarket shift knobs for AT? and could you post pics of them?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Well, there are lots... but I like mine:

Its the push-down kind. I disabled my O/D since I don't use it anyway.

I used to have an OBX TOMCAT shifter which looked like a fighter pilot joystick... I liked it for a while... but the one I have now is definitely more comfortable.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Gated automatic shifters don't have a button on them like your typical automatic shifter. Instead of a button, you have to push the shifter left or right in addition to downwards to shift. Check out the images of the 04 and newer Sienna or 07 Camry to see what I mean.

·
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
touringcamry said:
Gated automatic shifters don't have a button on them like your typical automatic shifter. Instead of a button, you have to push the shifter left or right in addition to downwards to shift. Check out the images of the 04 and newer Sienna or 07 Camry to see what I mean.
yea i know they are different, just wanted to see if anyone could figure out a way to use one of them on a regular shifter

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
touringcamry said:
He said he disabled it. So my guess is that he did not hook it up and does not have it any more.
Yup. I taped off the exposed copper from the wires 'cause if they touch together, they trigger the O/D, so I wouldn't want that happening while I'm driving and stuff haha... and yeah, I've thought about spending the time and routing them to a switch somewhere... but... I'll be honest with you... I don't use the O/D button... maybe one of these days I'll do something about it... as of right now... no need to worry. I'm definitely lovin' the shifter though.. my last shifter was just like Dave's, except it was an OBX one... I got rid of it 'cause I got tired of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts