Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Camry SE
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2018 Camry SE 2.5 litre.

The Camrys CAI inlets are built into the radiator cover. The 2.5 litres inlet is on the passenger side and the 3.5 litre is on the drivers side. Oddly, they could have used the 3.5 litre setup for the 2.5 litre in regards to side.

There is not enough room on the 3.5 litre to take advantage of the second inlet, however, there is on the 2.5 litre.

I tried searching forums/google and seeing if anyone has DIY'd or if Toyota/aftermarket company made a kit that would allow both inlets to function. This seems like a cheaper way to pull in some extra cold air without buying an expensive aftermarket filter kit by simply increasing the amount of air that can be pulled in.Since the second inlet is at the filter box, the short distance and size of the house should be negligible.

Anyone else think about this? Maybe a way to combine the OEM intake assemblies for the 2.5 and 3.5 litre?

Thoughts?

2018 Camry 3.5 Litre Air inlet assembly

2018 Camry 2.5 Litre Air inlet assembly

Motor vehicle White Hood Automotive tire Black

White Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
102 Posts
So true with todays vehicles. I believe the ECM's run the vehicles very efficiently.
Yup. all about that mpg, Why else would they run the water they call engine oil 0w16

• Haha
Reactions: ALB4

·
Registered
155 Posts
To explain, without removing the factory airbox this wouldn't change much as it wouldn't be able to pull in more air than the vacuum created by the engine. Going after market intake is a better route as it removes the factory airbox which is the restrictor (not the filter). Removing the factory airbox would in essence, remove any restriction to the airflow other than the filter.

Cons: None really
Pros: Improved responsiveness and maybe a 1-2hp gain. at peak, but significant gains down low (bellow 3000RPM). This has been proven on Dyno's that removing the factory airbox does in fact nearly DOUBLE the torque bellow 3000 RPM, and a lot of this is because bellow 3000 RPM the engine doesn't produce enough vacuum to overcome the airbox restriction filters. Look inside, there is literally a filter built in incase you forget to put a new filter in (lmfao they have really considered all humans are dumb). So what does this do? When the engine begins to rev it creates vacuum to pull in air, and without the factory airbox, you don't need to rev it to 4500+ to get any meaningful torque. Is it turbo level's of torque? No, but its something.

I will note, that I have tested this on my own car so I am not talking out of my ass.

But when you install the aftermarket CAI (lets say, K&N), make sure you disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes before installing it (its only a 15 minute job anyways), this will wipe the ECU of any adjustments made previously and won't make the car as loud. If you want your car to be REALLY LOUD, then yea, leave the battery connected and run the engine with old ECU/Timing changes with the CAI, but if you actually want this to work, you need to disconnect the battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts