Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Corolla calls for 10k mile change intervals. Even the first one? That's absurd imo. Is anyone or has anyone run their original oil for 10,000 miles?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don’t mean this to be an insult in any way. If you want honest answers, you probably shouldn’t include your own opinion when asking the questions it makes those that don’t share it want to not answer.

That being said, yes, I did follow the maintenance as it says. If it was actually vital, someone would’ve shown how much is actually in a lower mileage oil change. Me and most people will have changed their oil per the maintenance recommendation. Just keep that in mind as since this is an enthusiast forum, the responses you get will be more toward your stance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t mean this to be an insult in any way. If you want honest answers, you probably shouldn’t include your own opinion when asking the questions it makes those that don’t share it want to not answer.

That being said, yes, I did follow the maintenance as it says. If it was actually vital, someone would’ve shown how much is actually in a lower mileage oil change. Me and most people will have changed their oil per the maintenance recommendation. Just keep that in mind as since this is an enthusiast forum, the responses you get will be more toward your stance.
Yeah I thought about that before posting but keep this in mind. They never used to recommend a 10k oci on any 1.8 toyota engine in years past and synthetic oil has not gotten any better in the last decade so why the extended intervals? Makes no sense really except to entice people that don't want to do any maintenance to buy the car?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah I thought about that before posting but keep this in mind. They never used to recommend a 10k oci on any 1.8 toyota engine in years past and synthetic oil has not gotten any better in the last decade so why the extended intervals? Makes no sense really except to entice people that don't want to do any maintenance to buy the car?
I just looked it up for a 2016 Corolla, and according to its schedule the first oil change is at 10k. So at least since these two engines have been introduced that’s been the schedule.

Also for the majority of people maintenance isn’t a thought. For most people, the maintenance required light comes on, they take it to a dealer or mechanic, and they do the maintenance. So I highly doubt they would do it as an incentive of any sort.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
265 Posts
I did my first "break-in" oil-change after 6-7 weeks (approx. 1000 miles odometer) & then again at 6 months (approx. 3000 odometer), 12 months (approx. 4500 odometer) & 18 months (approx. 6000 odometer). Next one will be at 24 months in July/Aug at approx. 7500 odometer. Better safe than sorry with it comes to oil/filter maintenance (which isn't even expensive), not to mention regular replacement of transmission/gear fluids every few years, etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did my first "break-in" oil-change after 6-7 weeks (approx. 1000 miles odometer) & then again at 6 months (approx. 3000 odometer), 12 months (approx. 4500 odometer) & 18 months (approx. 6000 odometer). Next one will be at 24 months in July/Aug at approx. 7500 odometer. Better safe than sorry with it comes to oil/filter maintenance (which isn't even expensive), not to mention regular replacement of transmission/gear fluids every few years, etc.
Yeah I just did mine at just over 1,000 too. I will run this probably until 4k miles are on the car. After that I'll go to 5k mile oci like I always do with synthetic. It's only 22.00 for 5qts and I only drive about 8k a year. Very small investment and changing the oil on this car is cake with the spin on filter right next to the drain plug.
My Tundra was much more annoying with the cartridge filter, o rings, skid plate etc to deal with. Not to mention double the oil the corolla uses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had my first one at 10k, second at 20k and third at 25k.
Will probably stick to 5k intervals for now on.
Pretty sure half the people reading this think I’m crazy. I guess I’ll let you all know how the car is running in 10-15 years haha.

Also, I think it’s funny when people recommend to follow the maintenance manual. Then call people out for not following it. But then don’t follow it for oil changes lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My philosophy on long duration oil changes. This assumes nominal operations based on laboratory testing. How much can it account for your particular environment, thermal cycle or traffic and driving?

It doesnt hurt anything to change it early. So I do an inital break in oil change, then I change oil in spring and fall, or after a big mileage trip. Yeah, it costs money, but with all the complex systems oil interacts with in a modern engine, particularily timing? I want it in its best condition.

Caddy owners learned this one when CTS came out because even if serviced before intervals or service due notification in car? Well, oil contaminants and breakdown would start gumming up the VVT system, stretching and eventually breaking the timing drive.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
638 Posts
I had my first one at 10k, second at 20k and third at 25k.
Will probably stick to 5k intervals for now on.
Pretty sure half the people reading this think I’m crazy. I guess I’ll let you all know how the car is running in 10-15 years haha.

Also, I think it’s funny when people recommend to follow the maintenance manual. Then call people out for not following it. But then don’t follow it for oil changes lol.
I brought up this exact reason for the break in thread... people were saying stick to the manufacturer recommended break in, then the same should apply ... stick the the manufacturer recommended oil changes lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could possibly see 10k on a good synthetic and filter when driven lightly but certainly not the first oil change. I'll stick to 5k once broken in though. It's cheap and really easy to do.

One thing I don't like is the apparent quality or lack there of the plastic panels on the underside of the car. They are so floppy and thin. That access panel that needs to be removed to get to the drain plug and filter is held on with course thread screws into plastic. That is not going to hold up in 15-20yrs worth of removing for oil changes.

I do like it for aero purposes and especially to keep slush and crap out of the engine compartment though and I know they wanted it light but it could have had a better access set up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 Camry LE. 2.5L 4 cylinder. It was the first model that Toyota made that called for 10,000 mile oil changes from the go. I have 122,000 miles on it as of today, only changed the oil every 10,000 miles. I bought in Oct 2010. I’ve had no issues at all. At 70,000 miles I stopped going to get an oil change at Toyota and did it myself.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
638 Posts
I have a 2011 Camry LE. 2.5L 4 cylinder. It was the first model that Toyota made that called for 10,000 mile oil changes from the go. I have 122,000 miles on it as of today, only changed the oil every 10,000 miles. I bought in Oct 2010. I’ve had no issues at all. At 70,000 miles I stopped going to get an oil change at Toyota and did it myself.
Had an 05 Saab 16,000 kms oil changes

Bought at 70,000 kms sold at 250,000 10 years go and I still see it driving around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I change my own oil on my Echo, (except in the dead of winter) and with regular oil, about every 5K miles, but now I have a '18 Camry with 30K on it. The previous oil changes were done by the dealer (it was a leased vehicle) with synthietic oil, and the last one was about 500 miles ago. Although I could do my own oil changes, by the time I buy the synthetic oil and filter, it costs me about the same as having my local Toyota dealer do it, and they also include tire rotation, check for recalls, etc. If I make an appt. my local dealer can usually get me in and out in about 30 minutes, and they have free wifi while you're waiting.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had an Acura that I bought brand new that had 10,000 mile oil changes it's entire life up to 218,000 miles when an accident took it out. It never had any engine problems the entire time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is absurd but your wear metals will not be the issue it will be insoluble. Every bake or cook and have the oil turn brown and practically glue itself to the pan where normal soap and water would not easily remove it? No take that stuff and suspend it in the oil. The oil can only hold so much of it before it starts to settle out and attach itself to the parts. We call this varnish or lacquer. It can also be tiny carbon particles, sludge and the like. I am over simplifying this but you get the picture. Properly functioning Toyota that have intact head gaskets and are not neglected or abused will almost never have wear metals being the reason why we need to change oil.

So unless your miles are all hwy miles and you always get the engines oil not coolant up to operating temp the 10K miles or 1 year oil change on 0W16 is fantasy if you plan to own the vehicle longer than the 3-5 years you will be paying for it. Keep in mind Toyota's own recommendations combined with lack of revalidation of the engine after many minor changes created the worst sludge problems we have seen since GM and 20W20 meet the autobahn many decades ago.

I generally think people must be idiots to follow an owners manual recommendation as if it is a command or moral imperative. No warranty has ever been cancelled because you changed the oil, atf, gear lube too often!

The OEM recommendations are geared at 2 main goals make that 3. 1) Make sure car or truck makes it out of warranty with very few warranty claims against the manufacture. 2) Reduce the initial cost of ownership by reducing maintenance requirements to make the vehicles attractive to fleets buyers and consumer review type organizations. 3) I forgot lessee's they like low maintenance cost's too.

No one can tell you with a high P value that letting the oil go 1 year or 10K miles will reduce the life of the engine by "X" amount. Observation though clearly has proven that even with cheap bulk oil that almost all of the vehicles you read about with 1 million miles saw 3K oil changes.

Millage is a terrible way to change fluids by! A better way is hours of operation or time in service is much better way to do this.

When looking at automotive cost's especially if you plan on owning the vehicles well past the time period it takes for you to pay off the loan twice a year oil changes are a better way to go. It does not matter if I put 10K miles of 1K miles on the oil 6 months and it is out and replaced with new as my plan. From time to time you might shoot past that because your on a road trip, just lost your job or the weather is too cold to do it.

Timing chains, cam phasers, oil control valves, seals and guides all like clean oil!

My 18 year old engine is super clean, burns no oil that can be observed on the dipstick and runs like a Swiss Clock!

6 months to 9 months is a good window to aim for but since a year is 12 months doing it every 6 is much easier to get into a rhythm and habit of doing.

Also every time you pump gas pop the hood and check the fluids then you will never be surprised!

P.S. Unlike Honda which used to actually use a special break-in oil or break-in additive at the factory Toyota has not done that in the last 20 years going by thousands of used oil analysis. So there is no compelling reason to keep the factory fill in for any length of time.

Attachments

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
I've been told by many Toyota Master Techs over the years to change the oil on a new car at 500-1k miles, 3k miles, 6k and 10k miles. After that do 5k mile oil changes and I would never have sludge or oil burning issues. And guess what? In 40+ years they have been right. I've been using Mobil 1 since the early 80's doing 5k mile OCI.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It is absurd but your wear metals will not be the issue it will be insoluble. Every bake or cook and have the oil turn brown and practically glue itself to the pan where normal soap and water would not easily remove it? No take that stuff and suspend it in the oil. The oil can only hold so much of it before it starts to settle out and attach itself to the parts. We call this varnish or lacquer. It can also be tiny carbon particles, sludge and the like. I am over simplifying this but you get the picture. Properly functioning Toyota that have intact head gaskets and are not neglected or abused will almost never have wear metals being the reason why we need to change oil.

So unless your miles are all hwy miles and you always get the engines oil not coolant up to operating temp the 10K miles or 1 year oil change on 0W16 is fantasy if you plan to own the vehicle longer than the 3-5 years you will be paying for it. Keep in mind Toyota's own recommendations combined with lack of revalidation of the engine after many minor changes created the worst sludge problems we have seen since GM and 20W20 meet the autobahn many decades ago.

I generally think people must be idiots to follow an owners manual recommendation as if it is a command or moral imperative. No warranty has ever been cancelled because you changed the oil, atf, gear lube too often!

The OEM recommendations are geared at 2 main goals make that 3. 1) Make sure car or truck makes it out of warranty with very few warranty claims against the manufacture. 2) Reduce the initial cost of ownership by reducing maintenance requirements to make the vehicles attractive to fleets buyers and consumer review type organizations. 3) I forgot lessee's they like low maintenance cost's too.

No one can tell you with a high P value that letting the oil go 1 year or 10K miles will reduce the life of the engine by "X" amount. Observation though clearly has proven that even with cheap bulk oil that almost all of the vehicles you read about with 1 million miles saw 3K oil changes.

Millage is a terrible way to change fluids by! A better way is hours of operation or time in service is much better way to do this.

When looking at automotive cost's especially if you plan on owning the vehicles well past the time period it takes for you to pay off the loan twice a year oil changes are a better way to go. It does not matter if I put 10K miles of 1K miles on the oil 6 months and it is out and replaced with new as my plan. From time to time you might shoot past that because your on a road trip, just lost your job or the weather is too cold to do it.

Timing chains, cam phasers, oil control valves, seals and guides all like clean oil!

My 18 year old engine is super clean, burns no oil that can be observed on the dipstick and runs like a Swiss Clock!

6 months to 9 months is a good window to aim for but since a year is 12 months doing it every 6 is much easier to get into a rhythm and habit of doing.

Also every time you pump gas pop the hood and check the fluids then you will never be surprised!

P.S. Unlike Honda which used to actually use a special break-in oil or break-in additive at the factory Toyota has not done that in the last 20 years going by thousands of used oil analysis. So there is no compelling reason to keep the factory fill in for any length of time.
Well, guess I’m an idiot then. My belief is that Toyota has done way more R&D into these engines than you or I could ever do. Yes, Toyota is in the business to sell cars, and yes it would be beneficial for them to get you to buy a car every five years.

But if you bought one of their cars, and it died in five years, you probably wouldn’t be buying a new Toyota. Long term reliability is Toyota’s bread and butter. If they weren’t very reliable, nearly every Toyota model would have nothing special about it. None of them are top in their class at basically anything, but you can count it never dying. Every Toyota owner I know has not had a single significant issue with their car.

These cars are over engineered to last forever. Which way there are plenty of stories of people with old Toyota that have 100k miles on them but have had like five oil changes. Neglected, stupid, but still running.

Toyota knows what they’re doing. And I trust their research into their own cars that they design much more than I trust my own research. Never trust yourself to be the end all authority on everything. That’s my motto, cause at some point I realized I was just being a stuck up asshole.

Reactions: L3G1T

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, guess I’m an idiot then. My belief is that Toyota has done way more R&D into these engines than you or I could ever do. Yes, Toyota is in the business to sell cars, and yes it would be beneficial for them to get you to buy a car every five years.

But if you bought one of their cars, and it died in five years, you probably wouldn’t be buying a new Toyota. Long term reliability is Toyota’s bread and butter. If they weren’t very reliable, nearly every Toyota model would have nothing special about it. None of them are top in their class at basically anything, but you can count it never dying. Every Toyota owner I know has not had a single significant issue with their car.

These cars are over engineered to last forever. Which way there are plenty of stories of people with old Toyota that have 100k miles on them but have had like five oil changes. Neglected, stupid, but still running.

Toyota knows what they’re doing. And I trust their research into their own cars that they design much more than I trust my own research. Never trust yourself to be the end all authority on everything. That’s my motto, cause at some point I realized I was just being a stuck up asshole.
Excellent points. I'd let these fine people keep doing their oil changes when they want. They could do an oil change every day for all I care :p From my personal experience running Toyotas for decades I really don't need convincing that what they print in the manual is backed by their reputation for reliability.

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
312 Posts
IMHO: and not new I do what works for me. if the times changed and things are different, means the old is going out and the new coming in. a lot of old can be taken care of but the new is the easier way of life that said:

Engineers one day will write in the MM a code to say 1st oil change Xamount of Miles, so if the MM pops up at 7500 mi, you stop and change on the spot,.

I chose to wait the 10K Mi. and also I am going to be within the year as well. Dealer sent a note out at 5K to bring in. OW16 will be out and OW16 or OW20 will go in as now again OW20 is back in demand.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts