Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Excellent points. I'd let these fine people keep doing their oil changes when they want. They could do an oil change every day for all I care :p From my personal experience running Toyotas for decades I really don't need convincing that what they print in the manual is backed by their reputation for reliability.
Exactly. Maybe not every day, I’m also a big advocate for not being completely wasteful and uh….. that’s alotta waste lol.

I don’t care when anyone else does it, just don’t call me a idiot when there’s actually good reason behind what I’m doing.

Reactions: pUl|

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
637 Posts
Well, guess I’m an idiot then. My belief is that Toyota has done way more R&D into these engines than you or I could ever do. Yes, Toyota is in the business to sell cars, and yes it would be beneficial for them to get you to buy a car every five years.

But if you bought one of their cars, and it died in five years, you probably wouldn’t be buying a new Toyota. Long term reliability is Toyota’s bread and butter. If they weren’t very reliable, nearly every Toyota model would have nothing special about it. None of them are top in their class at basically anything, but you can count it never dying. Every Toyota owner I know has not had a single significant issue with their car.

These cars are over engineered to last forever. Which way there are plenty of stories of people with old Toyota that have 100k miles on them but have had like five oil changes. Neglected, stupid, but still running.

Toyota knows what they’re doing. And I trust their research into their own cars that they design much more than I trust my own research. Never trust yourself to be the end all authority on everything. That’s my motto, cause at some point I realized I was just being a stuck up asshole.
Ya I'm so tired of people complaining.... years ago lol ... synthetic oil is not conventional oil 5000k is old days.... 0w16 has been proven in Japan for years it's only new here...

My argument remains the same if you WANT to follow your own ideas or what grandpa told you or your buddy who's a toyota master tech lol then don't refer to manufacturer recommended crap don't follow break in period don't follow injector cleaning or valve clearance checks it's made by the same company that did r and d for oil so everything they're doing is a scam it must all be designed to only make it past warranty and then you blow up .... cmon people are so ignorant I've been following man recommended oil changes for life and no issues so I must be the only lucky one everyone else who follows this must have lost all their cars already...

Oh I guess that makes me an idiot too lol

Reactions: pUl|

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Never discuss politic, religion or... oil changes intervals if you want to avoid friction (pun intended :p). The 10K intervals aren't that new : that was also recommended for the previous Corolla generation in US, but it was 5K in Canada. There goes the theory of an international manufacturers plot to kill engines. Recommended viscosity also vary from one world area to another. Guess manufacturers do consider local conditions.

Both oil (especially synthetic) and engine building tolerances are far better than from years ago. Remember when those discussions were not about going from 5K to 10K but going from 3K to 5K ? Now it's about "break-in" oil change, that manufacturers don't use anymore because of modern manufacturing process (Honda was the last one to use it, a few years ago).

The thing is that 10K (even 15K for some manufacturers) aren't plain insane but also never definitive, depending on each one's driving conditions (trip length, temperature, traffic or highway, etc). I've had cars with oil monitoring. The algorithm would sometime "allow" me to go 14K before suggesting an oil change. At other time, it would pop up at 6K. Depending on conditions.

"Never had a problem this way" isn't a final argument, as nobody know what would have been otherwise. But engineers recommendations aren't just pull out of a hat. As well as considering your own conditions. Probably why those debates generally end with : "It's your car, do what you want"! 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oil is relatively inexpensive. If you have a question, change it. New oil won't hurt a bit.
For now and like everything else that's bad for the environment the more waste oil is produced the more it drives up refining costs then oil price goes up then evrinmental fees increase so yes short term no issue long prices increase because people think engineers and scientists who developed synthetic oil should still change on a 5000 basis ...so if this is the rule people are using for years how often did you change your conventional oil when it was supposed to be 5000?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Never discuss politic, religion or... oil changes intervals if you want to avoid friction (pun intended :p). The 10K intervals aren't that new : that was also recommended for the previous Corolla generation in US, but it was 5K in Canada. There goes the theory of an international manufacturers plot to kill engines. Recommended viscosity also vary from one world area to another. Guess manufacturers do consider local conditions.

Both oil (especially synthetic) and engine building tolerances are far better than from years ago. Remember when those discussions were not about going from 5K to 10K but going from 3K to 5K ? Now it's about "break-in" oil change, that manufacturers don't use anymore because of modern manufacturing process (Honda was the last one to use it, a few years ago).

The thing is that 10K (even 15K for some manufacturers) aren't plain insane but also never definitive, depending on each one's driving conditions (trip length, temperature, traffic or highway, etc). I've had cars with oil monitoring. The algorithm would sometime "allow" me to go 14K before suggesting an oil change. At other time, it would pop up at 6K. Depending on conditions.

"Never had a problem this way" isn't a final argument, as nobody know what would have been otherwise. But engineers recommendations aren't just pull out of a hat. As well as considering your own conditions. Probably why those debates generally end with : "It's your car, do what you want"! 🤷‍♀️
Absolutely never talk religion or politics unless you want to fight... this applies to all aspects of life lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
These oil debates are getting lame seriously

Change your oil whenever you want...

No harm to car to change oil more frequently

No harm anyone has reported changing oil following recommended intervals.

Gooday

·
Registered
465 Posts
It’s also important to note because someone said it in this thread somewhere(can’t find it now). But for the extreme conditions like prolonged idling periods if you frequently drive in heavy traffic, if you drive it in extreme cold or extreme heat often, if you tow often, or if you live in very dusty or dirty conditions, Toyota straight up recommends that you change at 5k.

Alright, I’m unsubscribing to this thread now. I’ve said my piece, quote me if you want me to see it. Deuces.

Reactions: mcdawgg1

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Toyota has been running basically the same 1.8L for over 20yrs. The lower end is identical. Synthetic oil is no better now than 15yrs ago. Been using the same M1 since then. So what changed? The only real difference on the newer 1.8 is valvematic and no one is going to convince me OLDER oil is best for the valvematic system so what changed?

Same with the whole 0w-20 thing. The 1.8 ran 5w-30 back in the day. That could be possibly explained by a more complicated valve system but cafe and the ever push to eek out .23215mpg is probably more likely.

I do agree to do what each owner feels best.

I do nearly all short trips of under 10mi and also live in the upper midwest so I will personally never run 10k miles but if I lived in a mild climate and did all freeway, I would run it longer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I brought up this exact reason for the break in thread... people were saying stick to the manufacturer recommended break in, then the same should apply ... stick the the manufacturer recommended oil changes lol
Canadian Toyota recommendation is still six months/8000km (5000mi ish) for their new cars with the following:

"Certain driving habits, and some specific climatic and regional operating conditions may necessitate additional Dealer Recommended Services to protect vehicle components from premature wear and ultimately to increase their longevity.."

Which is why many of us still change sooner if conditions are more extreme. As said elsewhere, hours of operation is a better metric for intervals vs mileage.

As for engine break in, factories used to add additives to their oil to help the run in period which is why the initial service. But no need for that anymore, or it is good enough to keep for full service interval.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Canadian Toyota recommendation is still six months/8000km (5000mi ish) for their new cars with the following:

"Certain driving habits, and some specific climatic and regional operating conditions may necessitate additional Dealer Recommended Services to protect vehicle components from premature wear and ultimately to increase their longevity.."

Which is why many of us still change sooner if conditions are more extreme. As said elsewhere, hours of operation is a better metric for intervals vs mileage.

As for engine break in, factories used to add additives to their oil to help the run in period which is why the initial service. But no need for that anymore, or it is good enough to keep for full service interval.
Odd the same engine in Canada requires half the time between changes. Hmmm

·
Registered
637 Posts
Odd the same engine in Canada requires half the time between changes. Hmmm
Lol bro

Nowhere does it say HALF in my Canadian brand new car manual lmao

People need to stop with opinions keep them to urself .. he posted his opinion of 8000 then used a factual quote lmao cmon guys I'm done

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lol bro

People need to stop with opinions keep them to urself .. he posted his opinion of 8000 then used a factual quote lmao cmon guys I'm done
He said they instruct 5k miles which is half of the 10k miles they recommend in the U.S.

Same engine, different countries, different "requirements"
Smells like fish up in here lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
He said they instruct 5k miles which is half of the 10k miles they recommend in the U.S.

Same engine, different countries, different "requirements"
Smells like fish up in here lol
It's OK man I'm glad you take people who say he said they said as fact ... if it's not in the manual it's not toyotas words .. I'm a mechanic and mechanics are stupid I wouldn't listen to 99 percent of their opinions.

Don't be mad man change your oil as you please but opinions are not facts sorry... and the smell u described it's fresh water cod .. the smell of reality

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lol bro

Those values werent opinion. Those were taken right from Toyota Canada customer support service schedule for the 2021 Corolla with Manual transmission.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Those values werent opinion. Those were taken right from Toyota Canada customer support service schedule for the 2021 Corolla with Manual transmission.

View attachment 329369
Lmfao

Dude that's an old manual for conventional oil which is 8000 or 6 months lmao

My 08 civic and 09 Acura was the same,

The 12th geb corolla is synthetic... the manual clearly states in Canada 12months or 16000 kms

Oh and i noticed u Google searched Toyota intervals from website... try the 12th gen manual like this forum is for, or do a new Google search and use it for a 2019-21 corolla....

·
Registered
74 Posts

View attachment 329369
Oops, I need to correct myself. I should have looked into the details of the service. It alternates service 1 and service 2. Service 1 does not include an oil change.

Lmfao

Dude that's an old manual for conventional oil which is 8000 or 6 months lmao

My 08 civic and 09 Acura was the same,

The 12th geb corolla is synthetic... the manual clearly states in Canada 12months or 16000 kms

Oh and i noticed u Google searched Toyota intervals from website... try the 12th gen manual like this forum is for, or do a new Google search and use it for a 2019-21 corolla....
So they posted an old 2021 manual?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oops, I need to correct myself. I should have looked into the details of the service. It alternates service 1 and service 2. Service 1 does not include an oil change.

So they posted an old 2021 manual?
Sorry man I'm not trying to be rude but that is the revised version for conventional oil probably on a previous gen corolla or maybe the 1.8 uses conventional oil. I'm just putting my baby to bed ill get my manual and take pics in a few.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry man I'm not trying to be rude but that is the revised version for conventional oil probably on a previous gen corolla or maybe the 1.8 uses conventional oil. I'm just putting my baby to bed ill get my manual and take pics in a few.
Oh, no need! As in the first part of the quote, the confusion is that while they have service every 8000km, the oil change is only in every second service listing. They put in the schedule "Service 1", "Service 2" etc. For me, I made the assumption that when you go in for service, you change oil. But service 1 is not an oil change, just an inspection.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Okay so Canada is the same as the U.S.? That's at least better to hear. If not, it would be very strange.

I have heard other countries do recommend different oils for the same engine.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Okay so Canada is the same as the U.S.? That's at least better to hear. If not, it would be very strange.

I have heard other countries do recommend different oils for the same engine.
I bet it's true due to altitude or extreme weather etc.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts