Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
By no means scientific and probably wrong but I have always changed my oil based on the color. When it turns a darkish brown I change it usually coincides with 3K-5k miles

·
Registered
74 Posts
Okay so Canada is the same as the U.S.? That's at least better to hear. If not, it would be very strange.

I have heard other countries do recommend different oils for the same engine.
Well, heat and tolerances all affect the performance of oil. With more precise construction, you can, and potentially want to run a thinner oil so that lubrication can begin quicker, plus more consistent. Hydraulic bearing physics are quite interesting!

I change twice a year on my vehicles because of the harsh climate cycle out in the prairies. For year round vehicle, I will change before winter to ensure it is as good as can be before subjecting engine to the extreme cold cycles. I then change in spring because the constant hot/cold can lead to moisture in the oil as the hot air in the engine cools and potentially condenses. Summer only vehicles, like to change in fall just to ensure nothing settles out/sludges up while parked.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My 70-yo FIL still changes it every 3K miles (5K km) cause he is used to it regardless of today's oils, engine quality, etc. I also met a Corolla owner once, this was in FL, who trades in his Corolla for a new one every year before his oil change is due, so there is that too :p

Like someone said above: do whatever helps you sleep at night :)

Reactions: L3G1T

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Synthetic oil is no better now than 15yrs ago. Been using the same M1 since then.
Actually, it is. If you were to analyze the content of your M1 bottle from 15 years ago (GF-4 spec) vs M1 of today (GF-6 spec), you'd notice a difference for the better.
Same engine, different countries, different "requirements" Smells like fish up in here lol
This was true for the 11th gen (5K Canada vs 10K for US) but not for the 12th gen (10K for both). It might have to do with Toyota establishing that the newer spec oil was also suitable in winter country.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,785 Posts
Well, guess I’m an idiot then. My belief is that Toyota has done way more R&D into these engines than you or I could ever do. Yes, Toyota is in the business to sell cars, and yes it would be beneficial for them to get you to buy a car every five years.

But if you bought one of their cars, and it died in five years, you probably wouldn’t be buying a new Toyota. Long term reliability is Toyota’s bread and butter. If they weren’t very reliable, nearly every Toyota model would have nothing special about it. None of them are top in their class at basically anything, but you can count it never dying. Every Toyota owner I know has not had a single significant issue with their car.

These cars are over engineered to last forever. Which way there are plenty of stories of people with old Toyota that have 100k miles on them but have had like five oil changes. Neglected, stupid, but still running.

Toyota knows what they’re doing. And I trust their research into their own cars that they design much more than I trust my own research. Never trust yourself to be the end all authority on everything. That’s my motto, cause at some point I realized I was just being a stuck up asshole.
I agree with much of this but I also think that the marketing side of things comes in to play. As other companies extend their OCI that Toyota feels that they can play the odds and know that doing a 10k mile OCI will allow a long enough life span even if it's not as long as a 5k mile OCI.

I think it's the same way with the "lifetime" CVT fluid. That's just a marketing thing that they hope the original power has sold it and if it fails at 150-200k miles they are okay with that. If the fluid is changed every 30-50k miles it could last much longer.

This is just mu opinion but one that I've heard Toyota Master Techs also relay to me.

Reactions: Pryme

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,785 Posts
For now and like everything else that's bad for the environment the more waste oil is produced the more it drives up refining costs then oil price goes up then evrinmental fees increase so yes short term no issue long prices increase because people think engineers and scientists who developed synthetic oil should still change on a 5000 basis ...so if this is the rule people are using for years how often did you change your conventional oil when it was supposed to be 5000?
Most oil is recycled now for other products so it's not that wasteful. If cars last longer and take up less space in junkyards and new cars are not needed as often that can also be viewed as better for the environment. There are so many ways to look at these things.

Reactions: Pryme and L3G1T

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
think it's the same way with the "lifetime" CVT fluid. That's just a marketing thing
For oil changes intervals I would partly disagree it's pure marketing. See the evolution of oil specs and requirements.
For the "lifetime transmission fluid" (recommendations are the same for CVT and AT) I would totally disagree it's marketing. That claim is nowhere to be found in any Toyota publicity, documentation or manuals. Only from individuals on forums would you hear that lifetime fluid claim... Maybe some ill-informed or ill-intentioned dealers said it. The same that allegedly told some on forums that an Android auto would soon be available as a retrofit? Urban legends are the hardest to overcome.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 and Mobil 1 EP 103a filter at 2,500 miles then at 5,000, then 10,000. Now every 5k miles, bottle of Techron every 3k miles. Every new car I’ve had in the past 17 years I’ve followed that schedule.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 and Mobil 1 EP 103a filter at 2,500 miles then at 5,000, then 10,000. Now every 5k miles, bottle of Techron every 3k miles. Every new car I’ve had in the past 17 years I’ve followed that schedule.
Hows this oil compared to the stock oil? 0W-20 Vs 0W-20.
I would like to switch to this oil at the near future oll change at 30,000 miles with 8,500 OCI.

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
312 Posts
these topics create a ton of talk, and traffic for the site. careful the topic can get shut down because its like today the pedemic of a dead battery

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
[/QUOTE]
Is techron even needed with how much detergent is in top tier gasoline?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is techron even needed with how much detergent is in top tier gasoline?
[/QUOTE]

Honestly probably not, I only use Top Tier fuel also, 93oct from costco, but at only $6 a bottle why not, this hatch is suppose to be my long term commuter car so it certainly wont hurt

Reactions: Pryme

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hows this oil compared to the stock oil? 0W-20 Vs 0W-20.
I would like to switch to this oil at the near future oll change at 30,000 miles with 8,500 OCI.
0W-16 vs 0W-20? 0W-20 is fine for this motor, esp with the larger M1 EP M103a filter

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,638 Posts
So if this M1 filter is larger than the stock filter, will it fit perfectly?
Diameter is 2.75" compared to 2.7", and height is at 3.12" from 2.952" for a Denso 150-2000... It is in fact specifically listed for your engine.

2020 TOYOTA COROLLA 2.0L L4 Oil Filter | RockAuto

Don't let the $9 "Extended Performance; 20,000 Mile" filter influence you into extended oil change intervals. You're better off changing oil regularly with a good $3 oil filter.

DENSO 1502000 Oil Filter | RockAuto

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't let the $9 "Extended Performance; 20,000 Mile" filter influence you into extended oil change intervals. You're better off changing oil regularly with a good $3 oil filter.
I still change every 5K miles.

So if this M1 filter is larger than the stock filter, will it fit perfectly?
It fits perfect

·
Registered
2020 Corolla Hatchback XSE
20 Posts
I am driving a 2020 Corolla Hatchback and it's been 13,000 KM. I will follow the maintenance schedule to make the first oil change at 16,000 KM.

Don't know much about the pros and cons, but like some people said, it is your own choice.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,638 Posts
Toyota recommends 8,000 km (5,000 mile) oil change intervals for severe service, which you may well fall into to some degree. First oil change should certainly be done by 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I purchased my previous '98 V6 Camry in 2004 with 88k. I sold the car last year with 351k. I always used conventional and changed oil every 3-4k for several years. At some point I extended the change interval and had oil tested at Blackstone Labs. The Havoline 5w30 was good at 7k according to them. I continued this interval until I sold it to a co-wrker last year with 351k. Car still ran strong. I currently use the same interval on my 2000 Tacoma and have 344k on it. I have run the larger YZZD3 on both vehicles.

We recently purchased a '21 Corolla XSE and just had the 5k service done. I don't think they changed the oil but haven't looked at the paperwork yet. This was our first new car purchase and this thread has me thinking that changing it (myself) now at 5k might be a good idea. I don't have any concerns about using 10k as a regular interval with synthetic after that and will use our local dealer for that since it's included for 2 years.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts