Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am having a dilemma... I am still trying to decide (Used search and found tons of info, but need direct input...)--->BTW- I have the 3" Toytec lift...

1. What size tire

2. What overall kind/model

I am debating between putting the really nice bolt on 1" spacers on my stock wheels and running 285/75/16 or just running 265/75/16 and maybe some regular 1/4" spacers to improve the stance a bit...

I am also trying to decide whether to go AT or MT... I know the other day I was leaning towards MT after getting stuck, but I am now in a more realistic mood and can appraoch it better now. I am getting ready to start a new job that will have me driving more in town than I have been. I really like the looks of the MT tires, but just don't know if it's practical. Also, since I live in FLorida where it rains a lot, not sure on the traction with the MT after searching some of the posts.

However, I really like the looks and mud performance of the MT. I know if I go with an All Terrain tires that I will get TA/KOs...

With mud I have it between Discoverer SST of BFG MT... which of these are quieter? better wet traction? etc...

Here's what I use my truck for mainly- Daily driver every day. Off roading about once a month. Half in mud and half on hills and rocks. I enjoy both so I need a competant tire for each...

Just wondering how much better the TA/KO would be over my Rugged Trails in mud... I know they're better on solid ground, but I need some help in mud too without sacrificing road handling... HELP! thanks...

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
pointerDixie214 said:
Here's what I use my truck for mainly- Daily driver every day. Off roading about once a month. Half in mud and half on hills and rocks. I enjoy both so I need a competant tire for each...
Smells like an AT tire to me.

I too like the look of MT, but they suck in the rain and snow and I do mostly on road driving. I dont regret chosing AT at all.

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
I use my truck about the same as you and I'm going with a 265/75R16 BFG A/T. I'm moving to an area with a lot of muddy roads in August and I'll be using the truck more for offroad and less for on road, so I'll switch to 285/70R17 BFG M/T and 17x9 Moto Metal 951 then. I say stick with an A/T unless you'll be using the truck for offroad more than you've planned.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... keep 'em coming...

One more questions... through searching it says that spacers put more strain on your suspension... is this true even if you use the MarlinCrawler style? That is what I am leaning towards... debating between 1" and 1.25"...

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
I'm was pretty much in the same boat.

Although AT's would be more practical, I went with MTR's mainly because I like the aggresive look they give.

If money is an issue I'd recommend the AT's. You'd probably go through 3 sets of muds before the AT wore out.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
pointerDixie214 said:
Thanks guys... keep 'em coming...

One more questions... through searching it says that spacers put more strain on your suspension... is this true even if you use the MarlinCrawler style? That is what I am leaning towards... debating between 1" and 1.25"...
If you are talking about spacers on your hubs to increase the width of the tires? Then yes they will increase the wear on all of your bearings.
With your stock rims you will have no choice but to run the spacers or the 285's will rub on your UCA's

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crap--- looks like I may just wait to get new tires until I can get rims then...

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
toku58 said:
If you are talking about spacers on your hubs to increase the width of the tires? Then yes they will increase the wear on all of your bearings.
With your stock rims you will have no choice but to run the spacers or the 285's will rub on your UCA's
Yeah, but, using a 1" wheel adapter on a factory wheel is just like running a 4 1/4" b/s aftermarket wheel, which is about what everybody around here is running.

·
Registered
12 Tundra Crewmax 4x
11 Posts
I just had a set of Firestone Destination MT's (265/75/16) put on my truck a few days ago ($162 each). Perfect fit, no spacers and no rubbing. I've got the Toytec 3" lift on mine as well. They look awesome on the truck and their wet traction and snow traction are incredible. IMO, 10 times better than the Goodyear MTR's on my wife's Rubicon. Road noise is significantly less as well. They are rated better than the MTR and BFG MT on tirerack.com and cheaper to boot. The stock BFG AT's that were on the truck were useless in the snow in upstate NY and not a whole bunch better in the rain in SC. Worked out well, I was itching for something with a little more grab and aggressive look anyway so gave myself a late Xmas present. The last set of these I had were back when Firestone called them 23 degree. Same tire, different name. I swear by them just as much as I do my Tacoma (off road and daily driver).

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks eodbeast and BillBrasky... big help.. :thumbdown

EDIT- Sorry, meant to put the thumbs up symbol in but been watching fooseball and having some beers to go with it... mustuv clicked the wrong button...

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
pointerDixie214 said:
thanks eodbeast and BillBrasky... big help.. :thumbdown
:lol:

Dude, I say get the 265's. I'm going back down to that size in an MT when these 285's are done. Just a lot less hassle and you can actually cycle the suspension w/o rubbing the cab mount.

·
Hobby or Mental Illness?
572 Posts
eodbeast said:
I just had a set of Firestone Destination MT's (265/75/16) put on my truck a few days ago ($162 each). Perfect fit, no spacers and no rubbing. I've got the Toytec 3" lift on mine as well. They look awesome on the truck and their wet traction and snow traction are incredible. IMO, 10 times better than the Goodyear MTR's on my wife's Rubicon. Road noise is significantly less as well. They are rated better than the MTR and BFG MT on tirerack.com and cheaper to boot. The stock BFG AT's that were on the truck were useless in the snow in upstate NY and not a whole bunch better in the rain in SC. Worked out well, I was itching for something with a little more grab and aggressive look anyway so gave myself a late Xmas present. The last set of these I had were back when Firestone called them 23 degree. Same tire, different name. I swear by them just as much as I do my Tacoma (off road and daily driver).
You had BFG AT as stock? I wish I had that option. I hope you mean BFG Rugged Trails and not the AT cause I just got AT put on my truck and they are awesome in the snow.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn... I am still really liking the 285, but if the 265 will work better, then maybe that's the way to go... Maybe I'll do the destination MTs with a 1" spacer... who knows.

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
My vote would be for a good AT tire in a 265/75 or 255/85 size. If you drive 99% of the time on road then an AT like the BFG's just makes sense. Why sacrifice 99 miles or more of on road driving performance for 1 mile of mud, it just doesn't add up to me. I've seen guys take AT tires to places most of us only dream of, so really unless you use your truck more then 30% of the time off road, which I really doubt anyone here does, then an AT tire makes the most sense from a performance standpoint. Get a hi-lift and learn to use it for those times when you get stuck and need to winch yourself out. My 10 cents:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
285 BFG AT's

·
Registered
12 Tundra Crewmax 4x
11 Posts
FRiZzZo said:
You had BFG AT as stock? I wish I had that option. I hope you mean BFG Rugged Trails and not the AT cause I just got AT put on my truck and they are awesome in the snow.
My mistake...yeah, they were the Rugged Trail. Wasn't happy with them at all. If I go back to an A/T style tire I may give the TA/KO a try. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well crap- I really like te 255/85 option... but if I do that then it has to be the Mud tire... oh well... I am just going to wait and see exactly how much driving I'll be doing with this new job and go from there... thanks for all the input...

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
pointerDixie214 said:
Well crap- I really like te 255/85 option... but if I do that then it has to be the Mud tire... oh well... I am just going to wait and see exactly how much driving I'll be doing with this new job and go from there... thanks for all the input...
The Cooper ST is a nice AT tire that you can get in a 255/85 16. Of course if you have to have a BFG I wouldn't blame you, they are the toughest radial tires you can get.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts