Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ie considered it to match the back factory privacy windows on the rear

I’m new to vehicles so I wasn’t sure if it was worthwhile and was wondering if any of you guys did it.

I got a quote from the shop for 125 plus taxes just for foront driver and passenger window. So two windows.

My only concern is if the tint film can match th same look and color of the rear factory tinted windows .

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wished we could but NC has laws on front window tint that only allows it to be so dark and it’s not worth the money for the level I could get it to. I had the sides and rear passenger ones done though. Those don’t have restrictions. Each state has their own laws.

·
Registered
2014 Highlander Lim
685 Posts
Ie considered it to match the back factory privacy windows on the rear

I’m new to vehicles so I wasn’t sure if it was worthwhile and was wondering if any of you guys did it.

I got a quote from the shop for 125 plus taxes just for foront driver and passenger window. So two windows.

My only concern is if the tint film can match th same look and color of the rear factory tinted windows .
Think I paid around $60 back in 2014, not a perfect match but pretty close. Here in SC legal tinting 27%. Love it on long trips, keeps my arm from burning. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
I don't have a highlander(yet) but I had my fronts on my Grand Cherokee tinted to match the rear factory tint over 5 years ago. Love it. Makes a huge difference with sun shining in and looks great. The only difference I see is from the inside the fronts look slightly different looking out compared to the rears but I only noticed at first. From outside I can't tell a difference. Mine are 18%... price seems a little steep for just two windows(I paid $60)..Its not legal where I live but everyone and their brother has blacked out windows so it seems the cops don't care or pay attention to it... (Ill probably get nailed after I said that)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, I live in Georgia and have all my vehicles tinted to the legal limit within a week after a purchase. It reduces glare and is cooler in the summer, so I think it is worth it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try the ceramic tint...even at the % the state requires it works better keeping out the heat then the standard. They're even cracking down on the dark tint in Louisiana so its best down here to stay legal. Plan to get the fronts done on the wife's Highlander soon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wished we could but NC has laws on front window tint that only allows it to be so dark and it’s not worth the money for the level I could get it to. I had the sides and rear passenger ones done though. Those don’t have restrictions. Each state has their own laws.
Think I paid around $60 back in 2014, not a perfect match but pretty close. Here in SC legal tinting 27%. Love it on long trips, keeps my arm from burning. Highly recommend it.
I don't have a highlander(yet) but I had my fronts on my Grand Cherokee tinted to match the rear factory tint over 5 years ago. Love it. Makes a huge difference with sun shining in and looks great. The only difference I see is from the inside the fronts look slightly different looking out compared to the rears but I only noticed at first. From outside I can't tell a difference. Mine are 18%... price seems a little steep for just two windows(I paid $60)..Its not legal where I live but everyone and their brother has blacked out windows so it seems the cops don't care or pay attention to it... (Ill probably get nailed after I said that)
Yes, I live in Georgia and have all my vehicles tinted to the legal limit within a week after a purchase. It reduces glare and is cooler in the summer, so I think it is worth it.
Try the ceramic tint...even at the % the state requires it works better keeping out the heat then the standard. They're even cracking down on the dark tint in Louisiana so its best down here to stay legal. Plan to get the fronts done on the wife's Highlander soon.
Thanks guys! Looks like iil give it a shot since it’s not a huge upgrade in terms of cost.

For those of you that did it, was there a type of film they used? Not like percentage but like brand or something

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
Thanks guys! Looks like iil give it a shot since it’s not a huge upgrade in terms of cost.

For those of you that did it, was there a type of film they used? Not like percentage but like brand or something
Not sure the type but mine is Suntek brand with a lifetime warranty. I have the same on all windows except the windshield on my Camry. Makes a huge difference. Only issue I have with tint is if someone isn’t careful with a seatbelt it can get nicked up from flying metal seatbelt buckles. And first day I had my Camry after getting it done I put a small nick in the back window installing the tether strap on a car seat :headbang:

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
yeah PA is strict with it and i never did it. I would hate to spend the money and then told to remove it.
I live in PA and have had it for over 5 years on both cars. 18%. Don’t want to jinx myself but no prob so far. I have always heard it is an add on ticket if you get pulled over they might add a tint ticket to your other violation. Granted I got it on my Camry free by winning a contest so I don’t have much invested money wise.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This gives a pretty good idea of what tint film can do ....
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/333-highlander-3rd-generation-2014/806922-window-tinting-films-not-created-equal.html?highlight=tint+film

I decided to go with 3M Ceramic, but I did a lighter tint (~30% block) since its an easy reason to get pulled over and get a fix it ticket. Your location may vary. I also did a UV tint on the windshield.
Here in NH it's against the law to apply aftermarket tint to the windshield or the front drivers and passenger windows. Behind the driver is permitted.

Here's a link to state laws on tinting. Check before you do.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/glass-window-tinting/
Not sure the type but mine is Suntek brand with a lifetime warranty. I have the same on all windows except the windshield on my Camry. Makes a huge difference. Only issue I have with tint is if someone isn’t careful with a seatbelt it can get nicked up from flying metal seatbelt buckles. And first day I had my Camry after getting it done I put a small nick in the back window installing the tether strap on a car seat :headbang:
I put Pinnacle 30% on both front and rear side windows. Rear already came with factory tint, and it's nearly limo dark now esp with the mesh roll up screens. I also did Airblue 80% on front, rear, and third row glass.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWyp-mNj9s6/?taken-by=poker838
The shop told me they don’t have ceramic in stock, but use a brand called Xpel film. Have any of you heard of that brand?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Xpel Prime XR seems to be their ceramic offering. No experience with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use the water cling removable tint for my front side windows. The tint is thicker and therefore is not as crisp to look through as permanent tint but gets the job done. Starting last summer, NYC now will fail your inspection with front tinted windows. When I went in for inspection, I showed the garage my tint was removable by pulling it back a little in the corner. The guy still refused to pass me until I completely peeled off both windows in front of him. Spent 15 minutes at home reapplying it back.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I tinted my wife's Rav4 and I'm planning to tint her HL in the spring. Tint shade depends on the manufacturer. I found the ceramic Suntek line to match closest to the Rav. It had a more brownish/yellow hue that matches the factory tint almost perfectly. The LLumar ceramic on my other cars have a more bluish hue. It's pretty subtle but I'm OCD about this type of stuff and can definitely tell in the sunlight.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
Xpel is a very good laminate company. Used by most EU car applications on Porsche and such. I used it and it works well for what THAT was for. Not sure on tint, but I would think it would be very good. Good tint shops with long service life will carry the products they are going to have less trouble with.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts