Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Noobsquad
JZZ30/JZS160/GSU55
51 Posts
I have 35% VLT black on mine (legal minimum where I am). Mind you my Kluger is White/Black interior so after a day in the sun (e.g. upwards of 30degC baking at work) the interior is not unbearable. My Lexus on the other hand is Black/Tan with no aftermarket tint and I burn my ass off in the same conditions.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
I tinted all my side and back glasses with 70% VLT film. That's the legal limit in NYC for front side windows. The sun is not the reason for tinting. I had witnessed 3 broken driver side window on the same street where I park during work, in the same day! Tinted windows at least make it less convenient for the thieves.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I tinted my wife's Rav4 and I'm planning to tint her HL in the spring. Tint shade depends on the manufacturer. I found the ceramic Suntek line to match closest to the Rav. It had a more brownish/yellow hue that matches the factory tint almost perfectly. The LLumar ceramic on my other cars have a more bluish hue. It's pretty subtle but I'm OCD about this type of stuff and can definitely tell in the sunlight.
I found another garage that uses SunTek instead of Xpel...and charge 65 instead of 100 the other shop told me for Xpel tint. Did u do just front or all around on ur wife’s rav?
:bouncinggirl:
Xpel is a very good laminate company. Used by most EU car applications on Porsche and such. I used it and it works well for what THAT was for. Not sure on tint, but I would think it would be very good. Good tint shops with long service life will carry the products they are going to have less trouble with.
did you tint your highlander Phil?

I tinted all my side and back glasses with 70% VLT film. That's the legal limit in NYC for front side windows. The sun is not the reason for tinting. I had witnessed 3 broken driver side window on the same street where I park during work, in the same day! Tinted windows at least make it less convenient for the thieves.
I never thought of that. Is it cause thieves would have trouble seeing the inside I assume?.

I have 35% VLT black on mine (legal minimum where I am). Mind you my Kluger is White/Black interior so after a day in the sun (e.g. upwards of 30degC baking at work) the interior is not unbearable. My Lexus on the other hand is Black/Tan with no aftermarket tint and I burn my ass off in the same conditions.

Yes the legal for my area is 35 for the front windows. The rear and back can be as much as you want. Did you tint all around or just the front? I’m debating whether to make the rears even darker then factory. All around quoted 120 pus taxes

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
Yes, I tinted the windshield with UV, and the 2 front doors with I think 30%? I had started a thread linked above/earlier with a lot of info for tints and what I did.

·
Noobsquad
JZZ30/JZS160/GSU55
51 Posts
Yes the legal for my area is 35 for the front windows. The rear and back can be as much as you want. Did you tint all around or just the front? I’m debating whether to make the rears even darker then factory. All around quoted 120 pus taxes
Just the fronts as the rears and sunroof we're already tinted. I'm in Australia so take your price x2.5 and that would be ballpark for a pro job here, so $120 for all windows is a steal lol

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
I don't off hand, but an Advanced search will likely turn it up (try factory tint as search word..among others) as I want to think I remember it being mentioned. Likely in that thread I posted.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I found another garage that uses SunTek instead of Xpel...and charge 65 instead of 100 the other shop told me for Xpel tint. Did u do just front or all around on ur wife’s rav?
I tinted just the front windows on the rav and planning the same for the HL. I always ask the installer show the tint on the car before installing to be sure I'm happy with the match.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here’s 20% solarguard on the 2 front windows only.
just got mine done today! same as yours, 20% front to match the factory rear tinted windows. local shop did it. guy who has been doing it for 20 eyars now. i say he did a fantastic job! used a brand called XPEL. its ceramic tint so it helps with heat retention...and keep the suns from roasting my arms in the summer

im jelous u ahve the hybrid model. gas here in ontario is 1.45 per liter XD

what do u use on ur tires?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe it has been established the rear is 32% stock on these vehicles, anybody know what stock tint is for the front windows?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I believe it has been established the rear is 32% stock on these vehicles, anybody know what stock tint is for the front windows?
The tint guy told me the stock is 20 .

So I believed him

When he installed the front with 20 , visually they seem to match perfectly both looking through the inside and look at from the outside,

Unless someone here can confirm what the factory smoke windows are for percentage?

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
Any vehicle I have had tinted to match factory rears was 18-20% depending on the brand and what they classified their tint percentage as. I will be getting mine done with Suntek 18% Carbon when I get a weekday that I can get the Lander to the tint shop. Thats what I have on all windows on my camry.. works nice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The tint guy told me the stock is 20 .

So I believed him

When he installed the front with 20 , visually they seem to match perfectly both looking through the inside and look at from the outside,

Unless someone here can confirm what the factory smoke windows are for percentage?
I stand corrected, thank you sir

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 2017 XLE I put the 20% on the front glass and the same as 'Eyebrows' at the top of the windshield. It is hard to believe that in this day and time any manuf would market vehicles without a band of tint across the top of the windshield. $30 worth of eyebrows makes a whale of a difference here in the southwest US.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts