Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,815 Posts
Thats right COne for color :)

"Need" is a personal thing, but when you have stuff in the air that the sun/heat and skin have a effect, then its tough. SO I rather roll down the window, but have a good amount of coverage...But then again, its not often it rains in SoCal. I can see perhaps a film or glass that is photochromic or electrochromic...."transition" ....the type that darkens with sunlight and clears when dark.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Actually most sunroof horror stories I've heard are from tinted sunroofs. Tint doesn't reflect heat but rather absorbs it. This makes the window significantly hotter then had it been allowing the heat to continue inside the cabin of the car. Now I don't know if there's actual evidence towards this being the cause as many sunroofs are designed to handle intense heat. That being said I've heard some stories from tint manufacturers recommending no darker then 30% tint be put on sunroofs. Again not sure what the evidence is behind this. I myself tinted my sunroof with 30% a few weeks ago with ceramic tint.
I have not heard of this, the stories on the news has been people just driving down the road and they just explode.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have not heard of this, the stories on the news has been people just driving down the road and they just explode.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3816319/exploding-sunroofs-car-models-brands-transport-canada/

"In the summer, a glass car roof can easily reach temperatures of 80-90º C, he added, especially if it is tinted, as many sunroofs are."

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/myth-or-bust-tint-shatters-sun-roof.604526/

Again, it's probably anecdotal. I personally don't believe it - I tinted my sunroof regardless. But just something to be aware of since tinting tends to "absorb" heat rather then reflect it.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,815 Posts
yes, we have had a few stock sunroofs "explode".
Not sure what it was due to, size of glass and install and shock, or temp?

·
Registered
2018 Highlander XLE
222 Posts
I’ve lived in Texas my entire life, and have never consider window tint an option, but a necessity. You buy a car, you tint the windows, period.

Just had my wife’s HL done in 3m Crystaline CR40 throughout.

I was a little concerned about reduced visibility at night out the rear windows by adding tint to the factory “privacy glass”, but I let my wife make the call (her car), and she wanted it.

It looks great and heat reduction is greatly improved and much better than my truck that has the standard 3m Color Stable series tint.

I put Pinnacle Formula 1 on my son’s car (Honda Civic) and like the look (color) of that film more, but that installer did a crappy job so I won’t go back. The Formula 1 film also has great heat reduction properties, similar to the 3m Crystalline.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We too wanted a uniform look. Our dealer tinted the driver and passenger front door windows for us and they matched the factory tinting on the rest of the vehicle perfectly. Looks great!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Also wanted a uniform look so I took my 2018 Highlander to a tint shop. They used a tint meter on the factory rear window tint and it read 21%. I decided to go with 30% on the front windows and it's a close match. I wish they had 25% - would have been even a closer match.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ie considered it to match the back factory privacy windows on the rear

I’m new to vehicles so I wasn’t sure if it was worthwhile and was wondering if any of you guys did it.

I got a quote from the shop for 125 plus taxes just for foront driver and passenger window. So two windows.

My only concern is if the tint film can match th same look and color of the rear factory tinted windows .

·
Registered
2 Posts

I’m new to vehicles so I wasn’t sure if it was worthwhile and was wondering if any of you guys did it.

I got a quote from the shop for 125 plus taxes just for foront driver and passenger window. So two windows.

My only concern is if the tint film can match th same look and color of the rear factory tinted windows .
I ended up doing 35% on all windows (minus the windshield). I was tempted to do 20% all around but Illinois is a little weird about window tint and didn’t feel like dealing with the police. I do wish I would’ve gone darker on the front 2 windows to better match the now darker back ones but I still love it. In the daylight, front windows are lighter as shown in second pic.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I most likely a day late and a dollar short, but for those Forum Members that have not yet delt with this issue, I have found a good and most likely law biding alternative in most of all the States.
The sun is the enemy in most cases. So I beat the problem by just putting a "WINK" instead of the full window application. PROBLEM SOLVED! $75.00 DOLLARS LATER. I hope that would be a winner for all Members to chew on.
:geek: Don/Milwaukee

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,815 Posts
I ended up doing 35% on all windows (minus the windshield). I was tempted to do 20% all around but Illinois is a little weird about window tint and didn’t feel like dealing with the police. I do wish I would’ve gone darker on the front 2 windows to better match the now darker back ones but I still love it. In the daylight, front windows are lighter as shown in second pic.
Looks nice. Mine too is lighter, but I got ceramic film, and it really helps with the heat. There is a lot of info in this thread as well as a couple other threads like one titled "Are all window tints made equal" or something like that. Its got great info.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,815 Posts
I most likely a day late and a dollar short, but for those Forum Members that have not yet delt with this issue, I have found a good and most likely law biding alternative in most of all the States.
The sun is the enemy in most cases. So I beat the problem by just putting a "WINK" instead of the full window application. PROBLEM SOLVED! $75.00 DOLLARS LATER. I hope that would be a winner for all Members to chew on.
Not sure what a WInk is. Maybe a picture? I'm guessing its just a strip of the film for the upper portion of the glass?

·
Registered
817 Posts
DON of Milwaukee!!!!! What is a "WINK"? It's killing me not knowing what you were referring to!!! o_O;) LOL

61 - 75 of 75 Posts