Toyota Nation Forum banner

Have some Q's about lowering my car...

961 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Timberland 
#1 ·
Here's the deal. I'll hopefully be picking up some springs for my 89 SR5, and myself and my dad will be doing this. I have a few questions, as I've never lowered a car before.

I found what seem to be good step by step instrutions on removing the mac strut assembly and the springs on the autozone site. Anyone have links to other DIYs for this?

I have a jack, jack stands, all basic hand tools, and I'll be renting a spring compressor. My dad is also a weight lifter so the disassembly shouldn't be too hard.:D Will I need anything else? I know an impact gun will make things easier, but is it necessary?

Alignment. The springs are 1.6" drop, and my tires aren't brand new or anything, so I'm not really worried about the slight camber change. What about the toe? If I mark everything where it was when I take it apart, will there be enough difference to require a $70 alignment?

Is there anything I'm over looking besides maybe discovering worn ball joints or something? Any help is appreciated, as I know a lot of you have done this kind of stuff already. Thanks.

#4 ·
Always do alignment when you mess with anything suspention wise. new struts, bushings, springs, and it would be a good idea to have the people at the alignement place do a positive change to the right side of the car for road crown :) helps but not really needed:rolleyes:

#5 ·
Do the alignment about 2 weeks after lowering, to let the springs settle down. If you're the only one in the car at all times and you're a bigger boy, then get some weight on the pass side to help the springs settle down at the same height as the drivers.

The problem I had was that since I drive highway everyday, and at that time with 2 other people in the car, I needed the alignment done about a week later. I could actually notice my tires getting worn out. :eek: Luckily the boys at Gillman are experts at lowering and alignments so I've had no problems after that. :thumbup: :D

My cost was about $250 CDN for install and alignment. :thumbup: :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.