Toyota Nation Forum banner

Have you replaced your DRL/Hi beam bulb?

5898 10
Have you replaced your DRL/ Hi beam bulb? If so what did you use?

I'm really looking for the whitest light that i can achieve (not really that worried about output) without having a blue coating on the bulb. Sylvania advertises that their zXe's have the "whitest" (very close to 4300K) light of any filament/ incandescent bulb out there. But I've read that that it comes at the expense of bulb life. Plus they are fairly expensive, and are tinted blue.

To this date I have never used my high beams, and I am tempted to just throw an led in there (bandit would scold me for even saying that).

What do you guys use?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
08 Camry LE
1,060 Posts
I'm using HIR1 9011 bulbs. They're very bright (probably the brightest 65W halogen), but I don't use high beam much because my low beam is powerful enough. If I'm not using them as DRL, I will install Catz Zeta, which then makes them brighter than my low beam.

· Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using HIR1 9011 bulbs. They're very bright (probably the brightest 65W halogen), but I don't use high beam much because my low beam is powerful enough. If I'm not using them as DRL, I will install Catz Zeta, which then makes them brighter than my low beam.
Are these coated blue? If not do they give off a nice white light?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I use the mtec super white 4350k bulbs. Actually just ordered a set of them for my fog lights too. I like them. But the bulbs are coated blue. I don't use my highbeam either because I have a retrofit done to my headlights.
I'll check these out. I've actually never heard of them. What's the life expectancy?

· Registered
08 Camry LE
1,060 Posts
Are these coated blue? If not do they give off a nice white light?

They are not coated blue. They don't give off a nice white light as you see in many HID bulbs. I think if you don't want coated blue bulbs, HIR1 (or 9011) bulbs are the one you should use (plus their output is the best).

· Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are not coated blue. They don't give off a nice white light as you see in many HID bulbs. I think if you don't want coated blue bulbs, HIR1 (or 9011) bulbs are the one you should use (plus their output is the best).
I did a bunch of looking last night and confirmed that I won't be able to get the 4300K light unless I get a coated bulb. I am really not concerned with output as we rarely (never yet) use the high beams, and I just want the light whiter during the day. I may go with the mtech's as they are very cheap on Amazon and see how they work out. I found a PIAA bulb (I have 9005's) that looks like it has the output and the color I'm after, but its right around $65.

I plan on putting HID's in my fogs soon (I know some on here are opposed to this) but I think those combined with my HID headlights should cover most low visibility situations. I wish I had bi-xenon or a separate bulb for the DRL's and Hi's - it would make things so much easier.

Thank you all for your input :thanks:

· Registered
2009 Camry SE
27 Posts
I just used some HiPro 100w 6k's I bought off eBay for ~$15. I also bought the ceramic adapters to keep from melting my OEM plugs. They seem to be working fine so far and are pretty white as DRLs. After my 5k DDM HIDs, I rarely use highbeams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.