Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or does anyone get nerves when you have work done at a dealership,
and they take your ride behind close doors???

What ever happen to the days when you could talk to the mechanic after working on your ride?

·
Registered
168 Posts

What ever happen to the days when you could talk to the mechanic after working on your ride?
You only get to speak with a ''Service Advisor'' who couldn't tell an intake valve from a Woodruff key.
I've had more bad experiences at dealerships than Indy shops.
Exhaust manifolds installed sans gaskets, missing exhaust hardware when vehicle returned. When I redid my oil pan gasket on my Celica, I found a gouge on the bottom of the engine block where the pan mates (mechanic couldn't be bothered getting a mallet to break pan loose?

·
Registered
254 Posts
At the dealership I have occasionally taken the Echo to, and if I have to ask a question, if it's something they don't know the answer to, they'll ask the mechanic that worked on the car or the guy who is over the other mechanics. As far as being behind closed doors, it has an L shaped building, where you drive into the service entrance and park it, then someone drives it in a little further and turns right into the actual service area. There is no door between the entrance exit building and the service bays, so if you want you can stand there at the back of the entrance building and seen them work on cars. How well you can see depends on which bay it's in. The last time I did that the Echo was maybe 20 yards away, had a good unobstructed view. If it had been the far end of the dept I might've needed binoculars lol. You're not supposed to step into the actual service bay though and talk to the mechanics while they are working. I can't say I've ever had a bad experience at my local service dept. so far. I try to do most all of my own work but a few things I take to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Those pesky insurance rules prevents one from walking right on out to see WHAT is going on with YOUR property

If a mechanic cannot handle YOU leering at YOUR property then honestly can they be entrusted with it
(n)
Same thing goes with body shops that messed my truck up when I needed hood repair and windshield replaced, took custom parts off and did not put back on

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,373 Posts
Those pesky insurance rules prevents one from walking right on out to see WHAT is going on with YOUR property

If a mechanic cannot handle YOU leering at YOUR property then honestly can they be entrusted with it
(n)
Same thing goes with body shops that messed my truck up when I needed hood repair and windshield replaced, took custom parts off and did not put back on
Depends, would you prefer if your boss or just random people just leered at you while you did some sort of work? We all feel pressure from various sources.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Depends, would you prefer if your boss or just random people just leered at you while you did some sort of work? We all feel pressure from various sources.
Let me tell you a story ☕
Long ago as a lube tech at JL there were often customers standing just outside the bay door watching/leering at us labouring on their vehicle. I remember the state trooper that always brought in his state mustang for the quick service, he would not let us drive his patrol car out and we all wanted to :cool:
But yes, its a complicated mess for some I suppose

Reactions: Vangm25

·
Registered
548 Posts

(n)
You can't be serious.

We live in a country where people will sue for anything that's why they don't let you in the service bay. My guess is someone got injured in a service bay and won a big lawsuit so now dealerships ban people from going in the service bay. Like how you have HOT written all over coffee cups because McDonalds loss a lawsuit by a woman who spilled coffee on herself and sued because McDonalds didn't warn her that hot coffee is hot.

I don't know what you do for a living but no one likes anyone standing over their shoulder while they're doing their job. Not their boss and especially random strangers.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You can't be serious.

We live in a country where people will sue for anything that's why they don't let you in the service bay. My guess is someone got injured in a service bay and won a big lawsuit so now dealerships ban people from going in the service bay. Like how you have HOT written all over coffee cups because McDonalds loss a lawsuit by a woman who spilled coffee on herself and sued because McDonalds didn't warn her that hot coffee is hot.

I don't know what you do for a living but no one likes anyone standing over their shoulder while they're doing their job. Not their boss and especially random strangers.
you have valid points, obviously!

I have much to say from experience on this issue but it's been an extremely long and hectic week with no R&R again this weekend (n)

·
Registered
2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS
3 Posts
You can't be serious.

There's a lot more to that McDonalds story.

I hear that Valvoline shops have cameras in the shop bays that you can watch in the waiting rooms.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You know my boss actually came to spy on me in Wisconsin one time, he caught me with my head stuffed into a ceiling not wearing the company attire :(

Reactions: Vangm25

·
イリジウム
13,802 Posts
Dealership services have a lot to do with the tech you got as well. While they're all ASE certified, some are considered competent but others are not. It's a crapshoot, and for many members only warranty work get to see the dealership, because some dealerships can't even change oil right!

·
Registered
172 Posts
If your skills are good enough to be critiquing the Mechanic, you should be doing it yourself. If you simply want to observe as a learning experience then YouTube is your friend.

Seriously, working on the car is not rocket science and a Toyota is not an F1 car.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I wish cars had the accessibility of F! cars. One example I will never forget is the knock sensor on a 90-96 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. Step one was remove the WHOLE engine then the manifolds (intake and exhaust) to access a part that took a few minutes to replace but was buried under all the other crap that required 12 hours of labor to get to.

To add to that is the pressure to use some bullcrap aftermarket junk that turns your repair effort into an exercise in how to lose your profit very quickly into an expense you can't afford, becoming the parts swapping guinea pig of the repair industry.

The same tech who could hand you a flywheel on the same car to have resurfaced, 45 MINUTES after it went up on a lift, needed to do a complete engine R&R to perform a knock sensor replacement. Accessibility could have been done in the design process very easily, but then there I go second guessing the ENGINEERS who designed those repair nightmares.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If your skills are good enough to be critiquing the Mechanic, you should be doing it yourself. If you simply want to observe as a learning experience then YouTube is your friend.

Seriously, working on the car is not rocket science and a Toyota is not an F1 car.
Let's see, skills? No, it's not a question of skills. I didn't need skills to tell me something was going wrong the time I took my HL to a dealer's express service lanes for one of my free oil changes. Their lifts were 2 separate lifts, one on each side. After one tech finished rotating the tires he began to lower the car to the floor. Correction, only 1/2 of the car. Fortunately another tech caught his mistake. And I didn't need skills to tell me that one tech didn't tighten the drain plug properly when I found a small oil stain on my driveway right under the plug. Can't remember if that was the same oil change as the above-mentioned screw-up. I do have skills and experience enough to tell me that most of the "techs" that do oil changes or rotate tires have no clue how to properly use a torque wrench. It's hard to find competent chimps.

The only reason I haven't been doing my own oil changes and rotations is because I'm over 70, don't enjoy crawling around under the car, and I tend to make too much of a mess. That said, I think I am going to start those two tasks and leave trans fluid, transfer case fluid and rear diff fluid, and spark plug changes to the techs. Oh, and yeah, I can figure out whether my driver-side floor mat is properly anchored.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wish cars had the accessibility of F! cars. One example I will never forget is the knock sensor on a 90-96 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. Step one was remove the WHOLE engine then the manifolds (intake and exhaust) to access a part that took a few minutes to replace but was buried under all the other crap that required 12 hours of labor to get to.

To add to that is the pressure to use some bullcrap aftermarket junk that turns your repair effort into an exercise in how to lose your profit very quickly into an expense you can't afford, becoming the parts swapping guinea pig of the repair industry.

The same tech who could hand you a flywheel on the same car to have resurfaced, 45 MINUTES after it went up on a lift, needed to do a complete engine R&R to perform a knock sensor replacement. Accessibility could have been done in the design process very easily, but then there I go second guessing the ENGINEERS who designed those repair nightmares.
Yes. The common sentiment on YouTube videos of changing the oil on 2017+ Highlanders is why didn't Toyota put the oil filter on top of the engine and make it a screw-on filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts

You might find a an Independent shop more to your liking. They tend to foster a better relationship.

·
Limited
1,964 Posts
There's a lot more to that McDonalds story.

I hear that Valvoline shops have cameras in the shop bays that you can watch in the waiting rooms.
They do, but you stay in your vehicle and the monitor is right outside your front driver window.

·
Registered
2006 TOYOTA AVALON XLS
540 Posts

You went to a dealership!? :cry: WHY!?!?!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts