Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You only get to speak with a ''Service Advisor'' who couldn't tell an intake valve from a Woodruff key.
I've had more bad experiences at dealerships than Indy shops.
Exhaust manifolds installed sans gaskets, missing exhaust hardware when vehicle returned. When I redid my oil pan gasket on my Celica, I found a gouge on the bottom of the engine block where the pan mates (mechanic couldn't be bothered getting a mallet to break pan loose?
Is it me or does anyone get nerves when you have work done at a dealership,
and they take your ride behind close doors???

What ever happen to the days when you could talk to the mechanic after working on your ride?
You better check behind your tech after your work is completed, to what extent you can. Over the past 4-5 years years I have caught them not rotating the tires (free tire rotation) three times, and on one occassion they didn't do any of the required work that I paid for (didn't change cabin filter or air filter, didn't rotate tires, and 99% didn't change the oil). I only do warranty work there now.

·
Registered
32 Posts

What ever happen to the days when you could talk to the mechanic after working on your ride?
I have to agree. Have a 2006 with the usual three dash lights on. It could be the gas cap $30, or the brake switch $450, or the ECU $1400. Hell, the local drunk can make the same guess. Yes, I don't have a lot of faith in dealers and that filters down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have taken my Toyotas to the local dealer very few times. Three times it was for a recall on the 2007 Matrix. My 99 Tacoma started showing a Check Engine Light and I took it in. The told me that it was an O2 sensor - but told me it was the wrong one! I ended up changing both of them myself. The 2007 Matrix had a screw in the tire soon after we got it and I took it to the dealer where we bought it. Not only did they not give me a special price on the tire repair - they put the tire on backwards! When I got on the road for a 1000 plus mile trip soon after that I felt vibration and knew they had screwed something up. I took it to a Goodyear dealer to have them fix it.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Limited
7 Posts

I must have a good dealership. I never have a problem speaking with the mechanic. If it's just a service clerk who comes to talk with you about a problem that could cost you big bucks, just ask to speak with the mechanic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Time is money. I've had shops where I could talk to the mechanic before and after the work, but those were one- or two-mechanic garages. Talk is time-consuming, as you well know. Owners with lots of overhead don't want to pay for that.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,520 Posts
Time is money. I've had shops where I could talk to the mechanic before and after the work, but those were one- or two-mechanic garages. Talk is time-consuming, as you well know. Owners with lots of overhead don't want to pay for that.
Time is money. 4 hours of work done in 1 hour is how they get paid. A customer getting their car back early would make them happy too. Gotta balance everything and in the end everyone still has something to say.

·
Registered
2019 HL EXL AWD predawn grey mica 2006 Corolla LE
57 Posts

My dealership has you drive into a 'garage' to drop your car, they come over and check your car for damage, take a few pics and drive it to another building. You get to sit in a waiting area with free wi-fi and coffee. When it's done they drive it to you and a service 'clerk' type person gets you to discuss the work. Best bet is to read the reviews on the service dept at your dealership first. As far as working on your own car...It's not for everybody. Some people just aren't mechanically inclined. Anyone can change oil/filter, etc., but other jobs require specialized tools sometimes, which can get expensive. Sometimes you need other equipment (hydrolic jack, etc) and a garage to work in. No one wants to do a winter brake job outside. And if you don't know what you're doing it can cost you more than the dealership in the end. I try to do as much as I can, but when it comes to sparkplug change on my 3.5 L, I'll spend the $ at the dealer or a garage. There is way too much stuff to remove and put back on to get to the plugs. I just did the plugs on my bike. Took 1 hour to remove/reapply all the plastic and 2 minutes to change the plugs. That's why Toyo charges~$300 to do it. My RAV$ was a piece of cake to work on because accessability was great. Not so on the HL XLE. Fortunately, Toyos are pretty reliable and don't require too much dealer stuff. Most of the maintenance is fairly easy. My corolla is also easy to work on and I have a two car garage, but not everyone does. Careful when you read the reviews, too. ANyone can write good reviews, including friends and family, or even the mechanics. I try to limit my dealer work to recalls and major or 'pain in the ass' stuff only. And 'youtube' definitely is your friend, but watch more than one video. 'Car Care Nut' is a good video source on youtube. He is a certified Toyo guy and seems to know his stuff. No shortcuts or jigrigs. Good luck. Do your due diligence.

·
Registered
1 Posts

That's why I NEVER, EVER have work done at the dealership. They are also higher than cat's back on repairs, find a good mechanic and you'll never have to endure that again. The only reason I go to the dealer is for my "free" oil changes! They will quote me work that needs to be done and literally will be 10x higher than a mechanic who does just as good, or even better, work!

·
Registered
30 Posts
one of the reasons might be found here, at around the 5:44 mark.
He explains how a mechanic can "flag" a job. He will be paid the amount of hours specified for the job- even if he beats that time. So.....if the mechanic can do a job flat rated at 12 hours in half the time, he gets paid the 12 hours and you get billed the 12 hours shop time that is way more than what the mecahinc gets.
They don't want you to know about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ummm . . I think it's you. Can't tell you the number of times I've stood next to the mechanic while he worked on my car. (while practicing appropriate distancing and refraining from telling him how it should be done). If you've had so many bad experiences with dealerships, why do you keep returning?

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,106 Posts
Ummm . . I think it's you. Can't tell you the number of times I've stood next to the mechanic while he worked on my car. (while practicing appropriate distancing and refraining from telling him how it should be done). If you've had so many bad experiences with dealerships, why do you keep returning?
+1
Independent shop, I might be more prone to wanting to watch, but I have no problem dropping my vehicle off at the dealer for anything more than routine maintenance.
Some operations, such as spark plugs and transmission service, can't be done on a hot engine, so there's going to be a couple of hours of down time before they can even start.

·
Registered
2018 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER XLE AWD
28 Posts

I live in a small market in California and the Toyota dealer is a "group" of about five stores. We bought a 2018 Highlander and had a problem with the roof rack. As the roof racks are installed at dealer level, or post local delivery they stripped one bolt that did not fasten the rack properly and hence we had a severe vibration at highway speed that the deal did not, could not, would not acknowledge. They are basically useless. I got Toyota involved and then posted a video to YouTube which expedited the rectification tremendously. Toyota then called me and asked if i was satisfied. I supplied them with the distance from my home to the dealership, the approximate amount of hours I spent trying to get my brand new $43K car fixed, and how bad the dealership was. They were pretty cool and gave me a $650 service credit at the respective dealer. I don't know what to do with it....? We needed tires and they could not answer any questions, said to bring it in and they will see what they have, don't want to pay them for an overpriced brake job - maybe double a private shop, I'm not sitting there for four hours while they do an oil change. Summary; I'm never going back there for service, they suck. Additional summary; I tried to be a nice guy and pay a little extra and purchase my Highlander locally in a small market. I had about $1,000 cheaper buy prices in San Jose area, Bakersfield or Fresno, but I bought local thinking that would build a relationship with the dealer.- think again. Final summary - find a good local independent shop that deals with Toyota's and Lexus and stay with one shop if possible. I'll always buy Toyota, but I will DRILL for the lowest price and never return to a dealer unless it's a safety recall.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota XtraCab HiLux 4WD Pickup - 22RE engine, 5-speed
3 Posts

Our local dealership here in Helena, MT is not to be trusted, so I never go there for anything anymore. On nearly $1,000 worth of work (adjust valves, tune-up, change differential lubricant, etc.) which they had given me a detail estimate on about 1 month before I had the work performed, the bill for the service came to over $1,450. When my eyes bulged out, Ryan, the Service Advisor asked me if there was anything wrong. I told him that his estimate of 30 days ago on this work was $975. He took the pages back and entered a few things on the computer and what do you know... my final bill came to $1,075 - within reason of the estimate. The only time I have been back was for a recall on a part.

Conversely the Toyota dealership located 90 miles away in Great Falls is top notch as far as the service I've had done there.

So trust... but verify. Check on Yelp.com before you take your rig in.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The meter is already on when your vehicles set foot in the service area. Even a no to an advisory service will cost you. Took in a recall for a Sienna door problem and get charged for what I already know. They wanted to charge $700 for a related part that got damaged by the recalled part.

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
Funny how people are making brand new accounts just to post here.

Pick your poison:
  • Dealership
  • Automotive shop
  • Mobile mechanic
  • Free auto repair from a college
  • Friends
  • Family
  • Yourself
  • Internet
  • Parts store
  • Yourself but worse
  • Internet but worse
  • Even worse

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I go back because I have a coupon for their oil and filter, nothing else.
Cost is even cheaper the a independent service center.
We're did I say I had any bad experiences??????

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
I go back because I have a coupon for their oil and filter, nothing else.
Cost is even cheaper the a independent service center.
We're did I say I had any bad experiences??????
Nowhere. Every else decided to post their bad experiences.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts