Toyota Nation Forum banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
With all this said I have report my dealer services have been great. Panama City, FL.

An oil change and tire rotation 40 minutes one time and less than 30 minutes another. Yes, I check the work and it was done. The wheel nuts were even torqued correctly. The fuel pump recall was done in under two hours with a no charge loaner, too. I like my own service but it’s nice to have options.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I go back because I have a coupon for their oil and filter, nothing else.
Cost is even cheaper the a independent service center.
The independents here are small 1-2 man shops and everyone who works on your vehicle is a mechanic. Dealers hire oil jockey's who are NOT mechanics.

I do my oil change myself because I know it's done right. A couple decades ago I had knee surgery and was unable to do oil changes for a few months. I took it to a trusted mechanic.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
the dealer service most often includes a multi-point inspection
is that of ANY value?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Time is money. 4 hours of work done in 1 hour is how they get paid. A customer getting their car back early would make them happy too. Gotta balance everything and in the end everyone still has something to say.
i wonder how much $$$$ the dealer wanted to scrape on my needed wheel bearing
the quote for that was $1450 for just one wheel, i have no clue what they were going to do, they did not list what parts were needed for the task

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,520 Posts
$35 for a Walmart oil & filter change,
is that high?
1 qt of oil can cost $9 at the auto parts store.

the dealer service most often includes a multi-point inspection
is that of ANY value?
It would help you get an idea of what may be needed and what is exaggerated.

I buy my oil at Walmart. $35 is less then what the oil costs at WalMart.
Includes oil filter.

i wonder how much $$$$ the dealer wanted to scrape on my needed wheel bearing
the quote for that was $1450 for just one wheel, i have no clue what they were going to do, they did not list what parts were needed for the task
It likely just means they didn't want to do it so they quoted you higher.

Mobile 1 0W-30 is about $25 and a Mobile 1 M1-103A is about $10 from Walmart.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
"Hard work" or they don't like you. I know we would quote high because some individuals would barter.
I've only had one 'major' repair done at that dealer about 30 months ago, so far it has held up well, although I was told their job was incomplete by another toyota mechanic so IDK
all I asked them what the deal was because i was honestly totally confused about it
but no leaks noticed so far at 204k miles, and nearly 90k since they fixed that leak! so i reckon they knew what they were looking at at the time that i knew nothing about due to my blatant ignorance i can admit

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
would anybody have their MT clutch replaced at the toyota dealer?
I've been shopping that task around to see what's out there because its only time before its going to be needing done!
trying to keep this older than dirt truck in tipTop

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I found Walmart oil/filter change is the cheapest around.

Also the $49.95 oil/filter change using synthetic oil is slowly disappearing.

I get coupons in the mail from a Toyota dealerships for $129.95 with tire rotation, what a joke, I would never pay that..
If I don't show up for 3-4 months, I get another coupon in my email for $39.95 using Synthetic, Go figure.

BTW, Walmart will have a sale at times for 5qts. of Mobil1 for $22.00 for 1 gal.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,520 Posts

I get coupons in the mail from a Toyota dealerships for $129.95 with tire rotation, what a joke, I would never pay that..
If I don't show up for 3-4 months, I get another coupon in my email for $39.95 using Synthetic, Go figure.

BTW, Walmart will have a sale at times for 5qts. of Mobil1 for $22.00 for 1 gal.
Generally speaking, unless the oil change is less than $25, oil changes are more expensive than they appear unless you do it on your own.. Only benefit is if they do a quick inspection.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Generally speaking, unless the oil change is less than $25, oil changes are more expensive than they appear unless you do it on your own.. Only benefit is if they do a quick inspection.
i always like to know how my front brake pads are doing so i can prepare for that expense that will be needing done sooner or later as well, I've got nearly 120k miles since front brake pads last done on the truck! probably gonna need new rotor disks the next time but idk yet they are originals still
i wish the truck filter was easier more simple to get at, that alone is worth the $30 to $45 to refresh

Reactions: Vangm25

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

the last $25 come back coupon i got and used was in Dezember '18 iirc lol
too bad the tech had no clue where my front turn signal was :( that was not working at the time

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,106 Posts
why would they not want to do it?
"Hard work" or they don't like you. I know we would quote high because some individuals would barter.
Or simply overloaded.
I've got so much crap going right now at work that if I had the choice to accept or reject new projects and got paid by the project rather than by the hour, I'd be tripling my prices.
And of course, everything that comes through is last minute crap.
I received a set of plans in email on my way home last night.
My director called at 9:30 and told me that he needs my markups and comments for a 2:00 meeting... I haven't even seen these plans since the initial drafts 5 years ago and they've been revised 4 times since then, so I'm basically going in cold and have 4 hours (minus lunch) to do 3 days worth of review and evaluation.

Sometimes I envy the guys working at Home Depot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is it me or does anyone get nerves when you have work done at a dealership,
and they take your ride behind close doors???

What ever happen to the days when you could talk to the mechanic after working on your ride?
I had no problem talking to the Toyota mechanic and he showed me different problem areas with my 08 Sequoia...

61 - 80 of 109 Posts