Toyota Nation Forum banner
81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
14,647 Posts
The ONLY reason they do a quick inspection is to find something they can sell you.
Which also indicates you may have an issue and that you should inspect the problem area yourself.

In addition, it protects them from legal issues because more than plenty of people drive a hazard of a car down the road and nothing an inspection tells them until it breaks is gonna stop them from driving.

Hence "you cannot make this sh!t up"

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
i don't think my cars fuel lines were inspected at the 30k 60k 90k intervals over the past 25 years
I pulled up the manufacturer maintenance rec on the CarFax pages to find a VERY long list of checks to be done

are these techs/mechanics not aware of the subpar materials toyota uses that cannot retard the salty slushy winters

·
Registered
14,647 Posts
i don't think my cars fuel lines were inspected at the 30k 60k 90k intervals over the past 25 years
I pulled up the manufacturer maintenance rec on the CarFax pages to find a VERY long list of checks to be done

are these techs/mechanics not aware of the subpar materials toyota uses that cannot retard the salty slushy winters
Unless it is a known issue (which it is), I don't believe it's gonna be on a inspection sheet.

·
Limited
2,040 Posts
Buy a Dodge because they use better materials than Toyota
Are you sure about that? Toyota doesn't give CarFax different maintenance recommendations and keep them from their owners. Maybe you were looking at CarFax's recommendations, which would be about as worthless as tits on a frog.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,847 Posts
Buy a Dodge because they use better materials than Toyota Are you sure about that? Toyota doesn't give CarFax different maintenance recommendations and keep them from their owners. Maybe you were looking at CarFax's recommendations, which would be about as worthless as tits on a frog.
Or Carfax's list of checks to be done are items that should be checked when looking at potentially buying a used car.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I found Walmart oil/filter change is the cheapest around.

Also the $49.95 oil/filter change using synthetic oil is slowly disappearing.

I get coupons in the mail from a Toyota dealerships for $129.95 with tire rotation, what a joke, I would never pay that..
If I don't show up for 3-4 months, I get another coupon in my email for $39.95 using Synthetic, Go figure.

BTW, Walmart will have a sale at times for 5qts. of Mobil1 for $22.00 for 1 gal.
I've got a coupon from my local Toyota dealer for synthetic oil + tire rotation + multi point inspection for 49.95, good until August 31st, 2021.I suspect though they'll up the price before too long, it's been that for a long while now with coupons.

·
Registered
296 Posts
^ Let us know if you can get in and out in 15 minutes or less.
I haven't used Toyota yet for an oil change recently, but if they're anything like the Chevy dealer for my wife's Cruze on three occasions, the shortest one was a little over a half hour, one was 45 minutes, and another was almost an hour. All were with an appt. The Cruze was still under warranty at the time. On the one that took an hour, they had a lot of people in the service dept that day, the shortest time one they had very few people. The Chevy dealer checks a lot of stuff on the car also, even got a detailed list upon request of all the areas they check, similar to what I try to do with the Echo. They also check for any recalls that apply to that vehicle. The one thing they do which I hadn't been doing is actually measuring the tread depth, I've always just eyeballed it. I got a tread depth gauge cheap at a yard sale, and have since been actually measuring. Not that I think it's that important, just another toy to play with tool to use. :)

The few times I've used the dealer for an oil change for the Echo was years ago in the dead of winter, it was due for one, and the temp was around zero with no heated garage and I just wimped out. I didn't have a space heater at the time, I do now. At that time they probably took close to an hour to get in and out, but the actual work time on my vehicle was a lot less. It sat in a bay for a long while before they even started on it, and different people were doing different tasks. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with their work, and they appeared to do what they were supposed to do.

·
Registered
14,647 Posts
^ Let us know if you can get in and out in 15 minutes or less.
I haven't used Toyota yet for an oil change recently, but if they're anything like the Chevy dealer for my wife's Cruze on three occasions, the shortest one was a little over a half hour, one was 45 minutes, and another was almost an hour. All were with an appt. The Cruze was still under warranty at the time. On the one that took an hour, they had a lot of people in the service dept that day, the shortest time one they had very few people. The Chevy dealer checks a lot of stuff on the car also, even got a detailed list upon request of all the areas they check, similar to what I try to do with the Echo. They also check for any recalls that apply to that vehicle. The one thing they do which I hadn't been doing is actually measuring the tread depth, I've always just eyeballed it. I got a tread depth gauge cheap at a yard sale, and have since been actually measuring. Not that I think it's that important, just another toy to play with tool to use. :)

The few times I've used the dealer for an oil change for the Echo was years ago in the dead of winter, it was due for one, and the temp was around zero with no heated garage and I just wimped out. I didn't have a space heater at the time, I do now. At that time they probably took close to an hour to get in and out, but the actual work time on my vehicle was a lot less. It sat in a bay for a long while before they even started on it, and different people were doing different tasks. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with their work, and they appeared to do what they were supposed to do.
Give people time to work at their own (fast) pace instead of being hounded on by their service advisor who is being hounded on by their customer to get the work down in ten minute is not helpful. More so if using a hoist because just that can feel like ten minutes. It's no different from people constantly asking how long the fuel pump recall is. Yeah it sucks to not have a vehicle or to have to wait but drop it off so they can get the work done within their own (fast) pace.

Want it done fast? Do it yourself and let us know how long it takes you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Give people time to work at their own (fast) pace instead of being hounded on by their service advisor who is being hounded on by their customer to get the work down in ten minute is not helpful. More so if using a hoist because just that can feel like ten minutes. It's no different from people constantly asking how long the fuel pump recall is. Yeah it sucks to not have a vehicle or to have to wait but drop it off so they can get the work done within their own (fast) pace.

Want it done fast? Do it yourself and let us know how long it takes you.
I have done it myself and it takes me about the same amount of time for the oil change and check items as they do, except I don't have other peoples cars to work on like they do. I'd rather they take the time to actually do what they are supposed to do and do it right rather than be fast. (assuming of course that they are actually doing something)

What is a lot slower for me to do myself is the tire rotation, despite the fact I have air tools. I don't have my own lift. (yet) Most of the time when I need my tires rotated I let the place I bought the tire from do it, as I have lifetime rotation and balancing. The last time I was in for new tires they remembered me from the last time. They don't get a lot of customers come in with very high mileage vehicles. :)

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Which also indicates you may have an issue and that you should inspect the problem area yourself.
Years ago I had to get some exhaust work done on my 1990 Pathfinder. I went to a local muffler shop and they recommended going to the dealer for this particular problem. So I made an appointment and was quoted $100 over the phone.

I arrive and dealership and wait in waiting room. 1.5 hours later the service write comes in and hands me a detailed list of recommended repair items totally almost $2,000. EVERY SINGLE ONE WERE BOGUS. Half that was for a timing belt (which I replaced the weekend before). They also said I had bad cam seals. So I asked the service writer how they determined this? We went and visited the mechanic...and they admitted they didn't remove the timing belt cover....and everything on the estimate was a guess because there was no record of them ever doing any work on my vehicle. What a bunch of crooks. I refused ALL service (including the one I brought the pathfinder in for). Went to another place and had it done. I was still recovering from knee surgery a month ago or I would have just done it myself. Crawling around on the ground wasn't easy.

Then in 1998 when I bought my new Pathfinder I drove 30 miles PAST that dealer to another Nissan dealer. Much better experience with this dealer.

·
Registered
14,647 Posts
Years ago I had to get some exhaust work done on my 1990 Pathfinder. I went to a local muffler shop and they recommended going to the dealer for this particular problem. So I made an appointment and was quoted $100 over the phone.

I arrive and dealership and wait in waiting room. 1.5 hours later the service write comes in and hands me a detailed list of recommended repair items totally almost $2,000. EVERY SINGLE ONE WERE BOGUS. Half that was for a timing belt (which I replaced the weekend before). They also said I had bad cam seals. So I asked the service writer how they determined this? We went and visited the mechanic...and they admitted they didn't remove the timing belt cover....and everything on the estimate was a guess because there was no record of them ever doing any work on my vehicle. What a bunch of crooks. I refused ALL service (including the one I brought the pathfinder in for). Went to another place and had it done. I was still recovering from knee surgery a month ago or I would have just done it myself. Crawling around on the ground wasn't easy.

Then in 1998 when I bought my new Pathfinder I drove 30 miles PAST that dealer to another Nissan dealer. Much better experience with this dealer.
Recommended, not required. You don't have to do anything even if it is a safety hazard. It just means it is something that you the owner should inspect and determine if you need to deal with it.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,847 Posts

Not unique to dealerships.
Sears, Firestone, and Goodyear got spanked hard by the BAR 10 or 15 years ago here in California for overselling repairs. I think Sears, and maybe all three were banned from mechanical work other than tire and battery installation.
And it's nothing new, and often driven by management and not the tech.
In '82, I lost a wheel bearing on my '69 Camaro. Hub welded itself to the spindle.
I got it towed home and completely stripped the front suspension down to the bare subframe. All moving parts and bushings were replaced with either Moog or Guildstrad parts.
I ballparked the alighnment in the driveway using 2x4s and tape measure, and carefully drove it to Sears for an alignment.

The service manager flipped out when he saw the worksheet from the tech was labor only. Ran across the service bays screaming that there was no way in hell a car that badly out of alignment didn't need multiple parts replaced. I discreetly followed him to the service bay, and tech pointed out all of the new parts. "Well, find SOMETHING, I'm not going to write a labor-only alignment!"
I quietly said "You aren't going to find anything to write up"
He was pissed but signed off on the alignment.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've got a coupon from my local Toyota dealer for synthetic oil + tire rotation + multi point inspection for 49.95, good until August 31st, 2021.I suspect though they'll up the price before too long, it's been that for a long while now with coupons.
Yep, I get those coupons all the time (would never pay full price), and they always wash and vacuum my HL too. Haven't found a local mechanic that'll do the same basic service for cheaper. I'm also in the Bay Area where Toyota dealerships are everywhere, so my local dealership will always match whatever special/coupon other dealers have in the area.

Never had an issue with my local dealership. Yeah the wait can be long, but I usually drop off, run errands with the family and then swing by to pick up when finished.

I get it - some like to do their own service, some have a trusted mechanic, some prefer the dealer... whatever gets the job done and makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,847 Posts
Recommended, not required. You don't have to do anything even if it is a safety hazard. It just means it is something that you the owner should inspect and determine if you need to deal with it.
When we took my wife's 2000 Echo in for the power brake recall (replacement of the hose because it could freeze up in cold climates), Longo Toyota found something and claimed that it needed to be done, and they could not release the car back to us without doing the work.
It wasn't major and I honestly don't remember what it was, only $150 or so. I was pissed but my wife was stuck at the dealership and I was working out in the desert so there wasn't anything I could do.

·
Registered
14,647 Posts
When we took my wife's 2000 Echo in for the power brake recall (replacement of the hose because it could freeze up in cold climates), Longo Toyota found something and claimed that it needed to be done, and they could not release the car back to us without doing the work.
It wasn't major and I honestly don't remember what it was, only $150 or so. I was pissed but my wife was stuck at the dealership and I was working out in the desert so there wasn't anything I could do.
In some cases it can't be helped unless the price is out of reason. Like $1500 instead of $150.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Recommended, not required
The point is...NON of needed to be done at all. Timing belt and cam seals were replaced 2 weeks (BY ME). And the other things were totally bogus also. That's the kind of crap many dealers (and national repair chains) pull. For someone who doesn't do their own work (which is about 90%+ of the population)..they'd more and like accept it. I don't know how anyone can try to justify what they tried to pull. It was extremely unethical. The good independents I will use for jobs that need specialized equipment would NEVER EVER pull that crap.

·
Registered
14,647 Posts
The point is...NON of needed to be done at all. Timing belt and cam seals were replaced 2 weeks (BY ME). And the other things were totally bogus also. That's the kind of crap many dealers (and national repair chains) pull. For someone who doesn't do their own work (which is about 90%+ of the population)..they'd more and like accept it. I don't know how anyone can try to justify what they tried to pull. It was extremely unethical. The good independents I will use for jobs that need specialized equipment would NEVER EVER pull that crap.
It's about making money. Nothing else to it. It's your choice at the end of the day to go or not. To inspect what they said was bad or not. In the end it's about making money or in other peoples cases, saving money.

81 - 100 of 149 Posts