Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this is a long story ill try to make short...
I rebuilt my 22re (first motor i ever rebuilt) and i used a buffing pad to take the old hed gaskey off cuz it was stuck onto the block very good. I may have taken too much off as i put the whole engine together ran great but about 4 days after i blew a head gasket so i took it all apart again and i did a clearance check on my engine block and i have .025 clearance in one spot but not where the head gasket blew. I had .002 where the gasket blew (haynes manual calls for .002 clearance) i did how ever when i rebuilt the engine use the original head studs and before i removed the head i was able to get almost a full turn on each bolt tell i had it back to the correct torque. What my queston is, is if i get new studs and a new head gasket do you think it will work fine or do i have to take my block to a machine shop to get fix and if so do i leave the bottom end together so they can shave the pistons too??

·
Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,448 Posts
putland_22,

I would say that you should take it to a machine shop to get it fixed right. As far as leaving it together I think that they would want it stripped. But you would need to call the shop first to find out how they would like to receive it. Also when you put it back together buy new head bolts don't use the old ones they are stretched out and won't torque properly.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Yes, you need to take it to a machine shop and have the block mating surface decked. You can take it there partially assembled, but they will have to take apart and will probably charge you more for their time.
They will probably have to rehone the cylinders too. I would also take the head there and have it resufaced also.
Unless you are using ARP head bolts/studs, they should be replaced with new ones-especially if they are torque to yield .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts