Toyota Nation Forum banner

head gasket leak...

2715 24
Hi yall I have a 94 camry LE with a head gasket oil leak... i brought it to my mechanic and he said it will cost between $700-800 to fix. I don't have that kind of money so are there any alternatives to fixing the leak?
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4runner
799 Posts
I would take it some were else to have it looked at.

I just had my head gasket and another gasket replaced around the oil pan and it only cost me about $289 at my local toyota dealership. So get a nother quote from someone else.

· Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
Ummm $289 for a headgasket... unlikely!!! I got quoted a ballpark figure of $1500AU for the head gaskets on my V6, obviously abit more of a job being a V6, $700-800US seems about right but still, maybe get some more quotes just to be safe :thumbup:

· Registered
65 Posts
It must be valve cover gasket not head gasket.

wormhole said:
I would take it some were else to have it looked at.

I just had my head gasket and another gasket replaced around the oil pan and it only cost me about $289 at my local toyota dealership. So get a nother quote from someone else.

· Registered
93 BMW 525i
397 Posts
Its going to be an entire timing belt job + removing the head, checking stuff, and re-installing. Figure about $350 for the timing belt job and $300 for removing the head plus about $75 for the headgasket parts set. I think $700 is on the high side, but not unheard of.

BTW, a headgasket job should include the valve cover gasket job.

· Registered
1,164 Posts
By the way. The head gaket set is in the $180 range, but that comes with all the gaskets needed to do the job (head gasket, intake, exhaust manifold+pipe gaskets, valve cover, valve seals and so on).

· Registered
95 camry, wagon
166 Posts
i had a 95 with a head gasket leak in the rear, but i drove on it for months, it just leaked a little bit of oil. i would not recomend doing a head gasket. the engine u have has a lot of miles on it im sure, what i did is go to www.car-parts.com and just order and engine with 50-60k on it, bc who knows who much longer ur engine will last, once the head gasket goes, most of the time something else will go after due to the amount of miles, the engine are about 300-900, and its about 300 to get it installed, most come with a warenty as well. i did that to mine after i got tired of the oil leaks and i have not had a problem so far.. a year and counting.

· Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
720 Posts
I recently found out that I may have a Head Gasket leak, too. I just replaced my Vlave Cover gasket, timing belt, etc. last year. I know that the whole thing will be torn apart one more time...sucks.....!!!! But to do? A surplus Engine will cost how much? And roughly how much to replace? Does this include the transmission? Thanks.

· Registered
1,164 Posts
I would consider changing the engine to fix a headgasket problem overkill. If you know youve taken good care of your car (oil changes and such) then just get the headgasket done. Buying a used engine is always a gamble. You never know if the previous owner maintained it of not. What if you put it in and start it up and find out its knocking or has some other problems. In my opinion its always a safer bet to just do the head gasket or buy a rebuilt engine that has a warranty if you really want to do the engine.

· Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
720 Posts
Shawn, you are right. I do take care of my car. Just that the gasket gave way. I will call on my mechanic friend and ask how much it will take to get it done.

· Registered
95 camry, wagon
166 Posts
when u buy an engine it comes with a warenty, when i got my tranny it came with a warenty. i ordered an engine with 56k on it for 450 and it came with a 6 month warenty. when u get the engine u can tell it is was taken care of from the out side. sure they could have cleaned it, but 6 months is plenty of time to tell u if an engine is bad. most ppl do a head gasket at 140-200k.. most. by then u have to replace other things in the engine alon with the gasket, y not just get an engine with 30, 40, 50, or even 70k on it, rather then driving an engine with 200k. thats just my opinion.. its ur car u do what u want.

· Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
720 Posts
Will a head gasket leak only show a symptom of oil leak, or like some people are saying, white smoke, losing power....I thought that if you had a head gasket leak, you will also see contaminated coolant?

· Banned
6,062 Posts
$700-850 per cylinder bank (You have one bank) is inline for a headgasket job.
The simple fact is you're also paying storage feed for no less than 3 days while your heads are milled flat.

It would cut it pretty much in half if you took the head off yourself & did it.

· Registered
95 camry, wagon
166 Posts
not every blown head gasket will make white smoke or contaminated coolant. in my case, i blew a head gasket and leaked a little bit of oil. not even enough for me to add oil between changes. even with my blow gasket i drove it hard. i just finaly got tired of the burning oil smell when i was at a stop. when i pulled my head off, only one piston had proof of a blown gasket. there was burn oil on one, even though i didn;t have blue smoke. the problem with fiixing a blown head gasket is that usually the car has a lot of miles on it. by then not only will the gasket go but you also have change ur oil pump, water pump, all the camp seals, and in some cases the cam bearings could be worn. thats y i would pay a little more and just put in an engine with low miles.

· Registered
10 Posts
I just had the valve cover gaskets changed on a 3.0 V-6. Parts--$28 for the front gasket. $48 for the rear gasket. Labor---2.5 hrs @ $42.00 p/h.

Total---$181.00 and change....But well worth it because with a severe oil leak dripping onto the exaust manifold, you are risking an engine fire.:rolleyes: :eek:

· Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
720 Posts
The head gasket change is much more elaborate than just valve cover gasket. I am like yours mike, just a small drip, but it smells crap when it reaches the exhaust.

· Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
13,523 Posts
Diniman58 said:
I just had the valve cover gaskets changed on a 3.0 V-6. Parts--$28 for the front gasket. $48 for the rear gasket. Labor---2.5 hrs @ $42.00 p/h.

Total---$181.00 and change....But well worth it because with a severe oil leak dripping onto the exaust manifold, you are risking an engine fire.:rolleyes: :eek:

Damn that was a good deal, the mechanics here in Va get 68 bucks an hour labor...it was about 350 when I had the valve covers on my V6 replaced!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.