Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've tested many different things and still havn't came to a solid conclusion. My truck, 87' pickup, has been spitting out anti-freeze pretty bad, and I don't even know where's it's going.

I've had it pressure tested at 16lbs, everything was fine. It doesn't have the normal "head gasket symptoms", but it's not a plugged radiator, thermostat, water pump, or cap.

I then had it chemical tested, and it was..positive..for a head gasket. Are Chemical tests almost always right?

I deffinetly don't plan on changing the h.g myself, and had it priced at about $450, but deffinetly don't want to take the risk of that not being the problem.

I've still got heat inside, run's fine, doesn't overheat when there's anti-freeze in it, and it passed the pressure test.

Any idea's?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
What exactly are the symptoms/problem?

I can think of at least one other possibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you pulled the overflow tank out and looked at it. They sometimes can become brittle and develop cracks on the underside. They are not tested when doing the pressure test and if it had a slow leak it would look like you were eating anti-freeze, just a thought.

Try warming your truck up then park it and place clean cardboard or brown wrapping paper under the vehicle to identify other leak locations.

Don't be afraid to do the head yourself, a good shop manual, some penetrating fluid for the exhaust manifold connector bolts, and a friend to help you lift the head off is all you need. In these times of ever rising prices especially when your having others do your repairs getting your hands dirty can only save you money and advance your knowledge in toyota mechanics. If you feel uneasy about it have a friend that has done this type of work assist you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "sypmtoms" seem to change all the time. It's blowing out anti-freeze, but not exactly where. I've let it get warm, checked everywhere, and I THINK it might be blowing, extreme blowing, out the overflow. The temp guage has been going kind of crazy. Every time I start it from being cold, it will always go way up, to the line before the red, then go back to normal running temp.

Then, just tonight, the temp guage never went much under the first "hot" line, but never much into the red. I DO know it's not good to be running it hot, but I didn't have much of a choice. I also didn't have heat, but there was some coolant in there.

Everytime I open the cap after it's some-what warm, I always hear like a suction, almost like there's some sort of air pocket in the system somewhere. Other times I open the cap, it takes a while but eventually coolant comes gushing out.

When I leave it running and put some coolant in it, after a while of leaving the cap off and letting it run, it eventually over flows alot.

And other times, everything seems to be fine..Weird

If I can't figure anything else, I'm sending it in for the head gasket and cross my fingers it fixes the dang thing.

·
Benwill1
80's toys
125 Posts
yep.. sounds like the same problem I had..it was the head gasket. With it running see if it blows bubbles in the overflow..check it hot and cold. That's a sure sign something leaking from the combustion chamber. Keep a watch on the oil...I hope you know about the timming chain issues with this engine. It won't pressurize the coolant like a head gasket gone bad. I would put a timming set(chain,guides,tensioner, gears). It will be so easy with the head off

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like the hg to me, my 85 had all the same symptoms. benwill is right, you may as well do the timing chain at the same time. Also make sure that whoever does it torques the head down in the correct order, other wise you could end up looking at a new head. Check the torque and retorque the head bolts if nessceary after driving a few hundred miles/kilometers. Good luck and enjoy the old girl.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brought it down to a local mechanic today. Having him change the head gasket, timing set, new belts, hoses, and the obvious oil change.

Is it nessesary to replace the head bolts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Brought it down to a local mechanic today. Having him change the head gasket, timing set, new belts, hoses, and the obvious oil change.

Is it nessesary to replace the head bolts?
I didn't on mine.....what are other opinions out there

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't 100% sure if they were the "stretch" head bolts or not. I guess if yours worked fine, I should be fine without changing them. They're $40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts