Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am in need of some advice. My husband is in Iraq so I am left to take care of the cars. I have a 93 Camry. I just had the head gasket, timing belt and water pump replaced for about $1100. While driving on the intersate, there was a pop and the car went dead. It started back up but continjued to overheat. Initially I was told it was just the water pump but when it was pressurized they realized the headgasket was blown. So apparently the head gasket blew because the water pump went out. I picked the car up yesterday and tonight I smelled gas and there were fluid leaks under the car. I am not sure what they were but it was two different fluids. It is possible there is a gas leak somewhere in the engine? If so, how does this happen? Also, I have 130K and want to get a lot more. We have family that lives about 11 hours away and I want to be able to visit for the holidays. What else needs to be done to make long trips?

P.S. Sorry for all the questions but I really need some advice. Since putting over a grand in the car I want to maximize my dollar and run it as long as I can?

·
Not so Noob now!
570 Posts
Ok, Now for a little detetive work...

Important information we need: The fluids coming out of the car, can you tell us the smell, color, and approxamately where they are dripping from?

If they pulled the fuel rail to change your head gasket they may have goobered up the O-rings on the fuel injectors. (it's happened to me)

Also if one of the fluids you are leaking is gas, you will probably notice a marked difference in how fast your gas gauge will drop.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
sounds like you have an incompetent mechanic.

1) get a new mechanic.
2) get opinions and estimates from mechanics

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys I think I have identified the fluid.

The leak is coming from the front of the car approximately in the middle fo the tires. It's dark brown and smells like gas. So I am pretty sure it's gas because my gas hand is going down a little faster. Where could the gas be leaking from?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
If its dark brown then its oil.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yea, sounds like you're leaking engine oil instead of gasoline since it's dark brown. If it leaks from the middle of the front, sounds like you're leaking an engine oil from the oil pan. You should check the oil pan. Check your engine oil level before you drive, make sure you have enough oil inside.

·
Grenaded piston
6,606 Posts
Hope it nots the rear main seal. If so your looking at a big repair (the tranny and/or the entire engine needs to be removed).

You said: The leak is coming from the front of the car approximately in the middle fo the tires

Is it leaking between the engine and tranny?

Can you get a pic of the leak and post it up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello All,

I could not figure out how to post a picture but I did find the source of my leak. It was coming from the fuel rail. I found a new mechanic. He's replacing the fuel rail (he found a used one at a salvage yard for $64.00) But the labor's gonna push it over $200.

Thanks for all your help I let you know how it goes once I pick it up.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Stop arguing, a woman's nose is more sensative, and they're able to decipher smells mroe accurately than men...

The fuel rail should be fine. You'd really have to cut the thing to damage it beyond use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts