Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new head unit, clarion double din dvd player, installed in place of my factory 6 disk changer. I had to buy the adapter to keep all my speakers and stuff factory, but now believe I want to go ahead and switch everything else out. Being that I had the premium system, will I have to re-wire everything for the new speakers? I noticed on tacotunes they have those little wires that say "replace door speakers without having to rewire everything" What am I looking at, and how difficult will this be?

Thanks!

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
With the JBL system all the door speaker wiring runs to the back of the cab to that amp. If I were you I would take adapter back to the store and get your money back. Then run new speaker wire directly to each speaker. It's a PITA, but it will be worth it when you're done.

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured that lol. So, as for the 8 inch sub back there, can I just replace it with another 8 inch sub? I think I read somewhere on here where it fit, they just had to do a bit of cutting? How bad does that plastic enclosure rattle back there? Or, will a better amp push the sub back there enough where there's no reason to replace it? (I don't want my license plate to rattle, but a bit more thump, maybe some vibration in the rearview mirror would be nice...

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
If you want to change the door speakers and the sub, then you might as well just gut the whole JBL system and just do all aftermarket speakers, sub, and an amp. It would be worth the trouble in the end. You could probably sell that JBL sub enclosure on Ebay pretty easily. In fact you could probably sell the whole JBL system on Ebay. Lots of people would bid on it, thinking that it would plug right into their non-JBL sound systems wiring. ;)

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Yeah. I'm sure it comes out, but I'm not sure exactly how. I've never worked on a Taco with the JBL system. I would guess that there's a few bolts in the middle, and then top part is probably just held with clips that will pop loose.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
137 Posts
Yes it comes right out. You'll need to remove the covers behind the back seat. Once they are out there's about 5 screws and 3 electrical harnesses that need to be removed. once that is done it comes out in one piece. The covers are held on with screws and plastic clips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts