Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does everyone run headers and a y pipe instead of running dual exhaust off the headers all the way back.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
also, with that set up straight from the headers will make your truck illegal to drive on roads because you will never pass smog, and even if headers and y-pipe remove the cats, you can still reinstall them back in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was thinking about doing headers, mufflers, and high flow cats. It would cost more than a single system due to the 2 high flow cats. but should provide more performance. That is if there is room to do that on a Tacoma. That way it may pass emissions. Neither headers and y tube or headers and dual exhaust will pass if they look under the truck because you have modified the exhaust system. I could also make this setup so the cats could be removed and reinstalled for emissions testing.

·
Super White Taco
2005 Tacoma
817 Posts
I went with headers and true duals and I'm very happy with the setup. I chopped the Y-Pipe and ran 2 stainless pipes straight back. Added 18" resonators right before the 2 Flowmasters and it sounds & performs great. Not sure whether or not it would pass smog, but we don't smog test down here in the swamps, so I'm good.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma Dbl Cab
26 Posts
I don't have any science to back this up, but on my old truck the single exhaust that I put on it first seemed to have a little more low end torque and when I changed it up and went true duals I seemed to make it redline a lot faster (didn't really drag a trailer as well though)

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I always thought dual exhaust gave you more performance
Nope.

That's sooooo 15 years ago.

But all the rednecks with the big Dodge Rams and 5" dual tips straight out the back would like you to think otherwise.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma Dbl Cab
26 Posts
But all the rednecks with the big Dodge Rams and 5" dual tips straight out the back would like you to think otherwise.
HEY HEY, the "old" truck I'm refering to is big Dodge Ram (you can see it in the background of my avatar). But you're right I succumbed to redneck pressure (C'mon dude ever body's doin it) and ended up with dual exhaust.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
^LOL. I guess my stereotype was pretty accurate, huh?

:lol:

If everybody is doin' it, then that's why I DON'T want to do it. Be different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts